Pillars of Eternity - Project Eternity's final name?

I specifically dislike "made up word in title", especially for a new franchise. I don't give a damn about Amalur, its kingdoms, or its reckoning, man. I'm fine with Pillars of Eternity, if for no reason besides keeping the PE acronym.

I concur. Last thing I want is a game with a bundle of strange words like, oh I dunno... Wrath of the Kul'fon

I mean, how dumb is that?

Mmm, yeah... like "Baldur's Gate" or "icewind Dale". We wouldn't want that.

I know I'm not adding anything new to the conversation (just quoting), but Tamerlane's reply is my personal favourite and most accurate - thank you, Tamerlane :)

1: Bioware and Black Isle did not create those locations and did not create those names. They were already established D&D properties when the games were made. There is a reason I wrote "especially for a new franchise". I mean, I realize that we are in super ****ing subjective territory, but for me, naming a new game "Ixgarl's Lair" is a hell of a lot worse than naming a game "The Lord of the Rings: Shelob's Lair".

2: Even then, most of those are actual real words. "Gate", for example. "Dale", too. "Icewind", I'll confess, is not a word, but I think most people can understand what a combination of the words "ice" and "wind" is trying to get across. That leaves us with Baldur, a name from one of the best-known myths in Europe.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

1: Bioware and Black Isle did not create those locations and did not create those names. They were already established D&D properties when the games were made. There is a reason I wrote "especially for a new franchise". I mean, I realize that we are in super ****ing subjective territory, but for me, naming a new game "Ixgarl's Lair" is a hell of a lot worse than naming a game "The Lord of the Rings: Shelob's Lair".

2: Even then, most of those are actual real words. "Gate", for example. "Dale", too. "Icewind", I'll confess, is not a word, but I think most people can understand what a combination of the words "ice" and "wind" is trying to get across. That leaves us with Baldur, a name from one of the best-known myths in Europe.

So Skyrim, Morrowind, Witcher etc. are terrible titles for you?

But look at the way those names are constructed: Sky+Rim, Morrow+Wind, Witch+er

All use common words and evoke certain images/feelings (I've only played The Witcher of those 3 so perhaps my images of the other 2 aren't quite what the games are like, but it makes them sound interesting).  Having said that, I think Morrowind isn't a great name.

The aforementioned "Ixgarl" just sounds like generic made-up fantasy name.

Glanfathan does sound more interesting than Ixgarl, but it has nothing to connect to beyond a Celtic feel (which may not be what Obsidian want to connect it to).

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I think we all can probably agree that "Pillars of Eternity" is preferable to "Millers of Paternity", "Thrillers of Maternity", "Grillers of Fraternity", and "Killers of Modernity", so I think on the whole Obsidian is doing a good job with the name, all things considered.

Edited by mcmanusaur
  • Like 2

I think we all can probably agree that "Pillars of Eternity" is preferable to "Millers of Paternity", "Thrillers of Maternity", and "Killers of Modernity", so I think on the whole Obsidian is doing a good job with the name, all things considered.

"Killers of Modernity" sounds like a hipster band.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think we all can probably agree that "Pillars of Eternity" is preferable to "Millers of Paternity", "Thrillers of Maternity", and "Killers of Modernity", so I think on the whole Obsidian is doing a good job with the name, all things considered.

"Killers of Modernity" sounds like a hipster band.

Could be, but I was thinking punk.

"Especially for a new franchise". God damn, man.

• Like 1
jcod0.png

"Baldur's Gate" didn't ruin the game that bears that name and somehow "Divine Divinity" overcame its issues.  So even though the "Pillars of Eternity" isn't exactly blowing my skirt up, I think it's a name that can grow on me, and to be honest all I'm going to care about is whether or not the game ends up engrossing and fun, the name doesn't make it or break it.

Kinda makes you wonder, what do 'pillars' stand for. Souls? 

I've been wondering about this myself, could heroes, legends and religion be considered the Pillars of Eternity? The way that they echo down through the ages and endure when the original participants are long gone, the way that in our world we say that a wealthy man is as "rich as Croesus" the foolish last king of Lydia, or strong as Hercules etcetera. Are these cultural points of commonality what bind us together, or what drive us apart, and do qualify as Pillars of civilisation.

In the world of Eternity however it might well be that strong souls are regarded as the Pillars of Eternity, those that by their deeds shape races, countries and cultures. And that either ascend to divinity (if they do) or are born over and over again.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I think I just really like names that give me the idea that this is a franchise. Like "The Elder Scrolls" in combination with the region of the current title, or "Forgotten Realms: Baldur's Gate" (that wasn't really the title I think, but it was still clear that this game is part of a larger world, of something epic.)

"Pillars of Eternity: Defiance Bay" sounds pretty nice, I think. Of course I don't know how important Defiance Bay will be, so the name might be misleading. But a name like that makes me think: "Oh nice, so something will happen to those aforementioned pillars in this game, perhaps one pillar that holds the eternal cycle of souls in place will be shattered, and it all happens in Defiance Bay!"

"Pillars of Eternity" alone makes me think that this is a general theme of this game, and it doesn't excite me very much. It sounds like it is meant more metaphorical and that we are the pillars or eternity or something like that... so it doesn't actually tell me anything about the game.

I don't know, it's highly subjective. Another (perhaps more important) problem is, of course, that the next game would have to be called "Pillars of Eternity 2", which is always lame.

It was just a placeholder.You understood what i meant. Sawyer can replace it with a more appropriate word anytime...

... such as?

Take your pick.

Edited by Fearabbit

Pillars of Eternity huh?

Like it and hope for a random encounter named likewise with a giant octopus sitting right in the middle of it.

Oh and having a tea with a Bridge Keeper for an overkill  :p 

Oh Tony... Who's gonna be a Kresselack of PE without You.

damn my sidetracking

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

I don't know I think Pillars of Eternity is sort of a poopy name but then again it keeps making me think about those books about the Pillar's of Earth or whatever based on the building of various cathedrals etc in medieval times.

How about... "Watcher"?

Hey, I already suggested they should title it The Watchers. They should also begin the game with a major adventurer being thrown out of the window of a tall building in Defiance Bay, before embarking on a journey that will deconstruct fantasy tropes and reinvent the genre as we know it.

Hey, I already suggested they should title it The Watchers.

Reminds me too much of things like Watchmen or The Keepers... not the ones from Mass Effect, but from the Da Vinci Code (by Dan Brown).

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

"Road to Eternity"

This sounds like it should be a title to a Heavy Metal inspired rock Epic. 

Sounds like a Hope & Crosby film to me -

"We must storm the place!"

"You storm. I'll stay here and drizzle."

"Oh, nothing to worry about. If he should give you a nip, it's very simple. All you do is to get hold of your bowie knife like this, make a cut on here, suck out the poison and spit it away. Very simple."

"Yeah, but what if he bites me in a place I can't reach?"

"That is when you find out who your real friends are."

"How do you figure on paying for all this?"

"What are you, scared? You got red blood, ain't you?"

"Yeah, but I don't want to get it all over strangers.

"Go ahead, eat up, eat up son. I'll think of something.

"These guys don't monkey around, they got knives, they're liable to try and get the food back the hard way."

etc.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think we all can probably agree that "Pillars of Eternity" is preferable to "Millers of Paternity", "Thrillers of Maternity", "Grillers of Fraternity", and "Killers of Modernity", so I think on the whole Obsidian is doing a good job with the name, all things considered.

What about "Distillers of Nocturnity"? "Spillers of Discernity?".

Oww... I think I just strained some ligaments with that reach. I'm fairly certain those aren't even words. :)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

What about "Distillers of Nocturnity"? "Spillers of Discernity?".

Oww... I think I just strained some ligaments with that reach. I'm fairly certain those aren't even words. :)

Distillers... that's a good one; I'm slightly ashamed I didn't think of it. :biggrin:

"Road to Eternity"

This sounds like it should be a title to a Heavy Metal inspired rock Epic. 

No, it can't be a "Road to" unless the companions turn out to be Bob Hope or Bing Crosby.... and there are musical comedy numbers involved.

Edit: And that's what happens when you go to catch up on the forums after a couple of days without reading here and make a snap quote reply without having read to the final page.. you find someone's already done the same form of reply.. darn.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."