Pillars of Eternity - Project Eternity's final name?

You know, it's just a tweak away from "Neverending Pillllllll-illl-arrrrrrssss, ahhh-ahh-ahhh-AHHHHHhhhhh-ahh-ahh-AHHHhhh-ahhh-ahh-ahhhhhhhhhhh-ahh-ahh... Yeah! FALCOR!"

There could be Fortune Dragons, and an Adolescent-Like Empress. Maybe a Calcium Tower. We don't wanna break any copyrights. 8P

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Swiss german: Süüle vo dä Ewigkeit

The sheer amount of umlauts makes that a cool looking title.

If you like umlauts we could also name it "Stützä vo dä Ewigkeit"

You should really come to Zurich. In Züri redät jedä so, ich findä das pärsönlich zum chotzä.

We can go waliserdütsch for the hardcorz.

As a Solothurner I'm closly affiliated to Bern so Züri can go to a very special place. *smugface*

J/K.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

Swiss german: Süüle vo dä Ewigkeit

The sheer amount of umlauts makes that a cool looking title.

If you like umlauts we could also name it "Stützä vo dä Ewigkeit"

You should really come to Zurich. In Züri redät jedä so, ich findä das pärsönlich zum chotzä.

We can go waliserdütsch for the hardcorz.

As a Solothurner I'm closly affiliated to Bern so Züri can go to a very special place. *smugface*

J/K.

Wait a second, you're Swiss?

Edit: That's actually pretty amazing.  :no:

Edit 2: visit combobreaker.ch  :ban:

Edited by SophosTheWise

Elan_song.gif

Some of you seem genuinely disappointed by the name. I didn't realize Obsidian was an entrant in the World Series of Naming. 8P

I'm not trying to suggest the name is of no consequence, but is the exact degree of uniqueness/perfection THAT important?

For all you know, after playing through the whole narrative, we could look back on the chosen name and think "Wow, that really hit the nail on the head!"

What are we, name hipsters? :) "I'm gonna use a different syllable from each existing language in the world, because that'll totally set the game's name apart from all the other super lame, been-done-before ones."

Give it a chance, will ya?

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

"Pillars of Eternity" has a solid, epic feel to it. I find the name reminiscent of ancient Greek legends, and it speaks of a grand scheme to the Universe. Most importantly it's a name that takes itself seriously. :)

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Man, I love to see such a multi-lingual forum. It is amazing how well people outside the US and UK know English ... not just the bare bones, but slang and contractions and everything. Good job, world!

Yeah, well once for a while you guys could learn a language too, so be a dear and try Polish, Hungarian and German for starters; we will get back to French, Spanish and Czech after Thanksgiving, whadda ya say? Payback time.

j/k ;)

• Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Yeah, well once for a while you guys could learn a language too, so be a dear and try Polish, Hungarian and German for starters; we will get back to French, Spanish and Czech after Thanksgiving, whadda ya say? Payback time.

j/k ;)

我会写中文 :p

永恒子 = Eternal Pillars (closest I can get, but there's probably a better translation)

(For those seeing lots of '???' or other characters - the above is in simplified Chinese characters)

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Man, I love to see such a multi-lingual forum. It is amazing how well people outside the US and UK know English ... not just the bare bones, but slang and contractions and everything. Good job, world!

I imagine many of us would have known Latin had we lived during Roman times. It's the lingua franca of most of the scientific and trading world.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Well, maybe not the Polish ;)

But that's not the point I'm making, that's more of a geographical issue.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Pillars of Eternity is ok, but it would work better as a subtitle. It doesn't roll in the tonque all that well.

Glanfathan:Pillars of Eternity is better IMO. It still has Pillars of Eternity as the main title so it keeps the Eternity name racognition, but it canbe mentioned as Glanfathan that sounds cooler.

Pillars of Eternity is ok, but it would work better as a subtitle. It doesn't roll in the tonque all that well.

Glanfathan:Pillars of Eternity is better IMO. It still has Pillars of Eternity as the main title so it keeps the Eternity name racognition, but it canbe mentioned as Glanfathan that sounds cooler.

Nice, but we all know that "Glanfathan" means "Inhabitant of Eir Glanfath". Bit of nothing special, like "New Yorker"?

Nice, but we all know that "Glanfathan" means "Inhabitant of Eir Glanfath". Bit of nothing special, like "New Yorker"?

It was just a placeholder.You understood what i meant. Sawyer can replace it with a more appropriate word anytime...

It was just a placeholder.You understood what i meant. Sawyer can replace it with a more appropriate word anytime...

... such as?

No disrespect, as I understand what you're getting at. The desire for it to just REALLY shine as a game name, like an amazing fireworks show versus a merely-good one. But, can we really act as though there are a plethora of "more appropriate word"s floating around, just waiting to be plucked and inserted into the name, if we can't actually come up with any ourselves?

... such as?

No disrespect, as I understand what you're getting at. The desire for it to just REALLY shine as a game name, like an amazing fireworks show versus a merely-good one. But, can we really act as though there are a plethora of "more appropriate word"s floating around, just waiting to be plucked and inserted into the name, if we can't actually come up with any ourselves?

I meant a made up word relevant to the game. Could we had come up with Glanfathan ourselves before Sawyer revealed it?

I just said that  X:Pillars of Eternity sounds better to me than Pillars of Eternity alone.

X can be whatevermade up word Sawyer deems appropriate(ingame location,a gods name, a factions name whatever) 

Edited by Malekith

I specifically dislike "made up word in title", especially for a new franchise. I don't give a damn about Amalur, its kingdoms, or its reckoning, man. I'm fine with Pillars of Eternity, if for no reason besides keeping the PE acronym.

I concur. Last thing I want is a game with a bundle of strange words like, oh I dunno... Wrath of the Kul'fon

I mean, how dumb is that?

• Like 1

... such as?

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/62934-what-will-the-real-name-be/

---

I meant a made up word relevant to the game. Could we had come up with Glanfathan ourselves before Sawyer revealed it?

I just said that  X:Pillars of Eternity sounds better to me than Pillars of Eternity alone.

X can be whatevermade up word Sawyer deems appropriate(ingame location,a gods name, a factions name whatever) 

How about... "Watcher"?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I specifically dislike "made up word in title", especially for a new franchise. I don't give a damn about Amalur, its kingdoms, or its reckoning, man. I'm fine with Pillars of Eternity, if for no reason besides keeping the PE acronym.

I concur. Last thing I want is a game with a bundle of strange words like, oh I dunno... Wrath of the Kul'fon

I mean, how dumb is that?

Mmm, yeah... like "Baldur's Gate" or "icewind Dale". We wouldn't want that.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

1: Bioware and Black Isle did not create those locations and did not create those names. They were already established D&D properties when the games were made. There is a reason I wrote "especially for a new franchise". I mean, I realize that we are in super ****ing subjective territory, but for me, naming a new game "Ixgarl's Lair" is a hell of a lot worse than naming a game "The Lord of the Rings: Shelob's Lair".

2: Even then, most of those are actual real words. "Gate", for example. "Dale", too. "Icewind", I'll confess, is not a word, but I think most people can understand what a combination of the words "ice" and "wind" is trying to get across. That leaves us with Baldur, a name from one of the best-known myths in Europe.

• Like 2
jcod0.png