What's on the idiot box... Part 2

Rosbjerg

House of Cards started out very good but I feel it is getting worse now. I will still watch the show until the end, but season 1 was the best.

The Game of Thrones show is also getting worse. I guess that is to be expected since that is also true for the books. Unfortunately, the show isn't nearly as good as the books are.

Edited by Labadal

Idk, they are taking a lot of freedom with the show now. or maybe I remember some of the books wrong. I know the show "is based on the books". Still, I think the seasons need more episodes in general.

Really? Thus far I enjoy season 4 much more than season 3.

I'm not surprised. Season 3 wasn't even an entire book. It felt like so little happened compared to the first two seasons.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't think the show can pull anything that GRRM doesn't approve of.

I recently read an interview that he disliked the change they made where

Jaime rapes [debatable] Cersei in front of Joffrey's body instead of it being consensual.

So I get the idea he leaves them fairly free.

Just saw the latest Supernatural. Now, I love that show, but they've certainly become more than a bit formulaic. So the latest episode was actually quite refreshing. They seemed to actually focus on someone else than the Winchesters, and a new character at that. Looks really promising.

Anyone else still watching?

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Just saw the latest Supernatural. Now, I love that show, but they've certainly become more than a bit formulaic. So the latest episode was actually quite refreshing. They seemed to actually focus on someone else than the Winchesters, and a new character at that. Looks really promising.

It was a backdoor pilot for the spinoff they're producing. From what I gather, most fans of the show don't care and would rather they did a Men of Letters or Charlie's Adventures in Oz spinoff.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It was a backdoor pilot for the spinoff they're producing. From what I gather, most fans of the show don't care and would rather they did a Men of Letters or Charlie's Adventures in Oz spinoff.

Oh, bummer. The series could use some new blood.

The problem with the Winchesters is that they already put them through so much crap, that it's become almost standard fare, and it gets harder and harder to care. What, did Sam die again? Oh, no worries. Dean'll rescue him and he'll be out and about again in the next episode. They're (to me at least) incredibly likeable characters and a large part of what makes the show good, but even so when it comes to drama you can see the writers have trouble coming up with something new and meaningful.

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I didn't enjoy it - it felt like a spinoff of Vampire Diaries instead of Supernatural.

I have no idea what the Vampire Diaries is. Sounds dire.

Do these vampires twinkle or sparkle?

By the way, count me as one in favour of a Charlie's Adventures in Oz spinoff. Not that I would watch it, but if it meant Charlie would never appear in Supernatural again that'd be a massive win in my book.

Edited by JadedWolf

Vampire Diaries is basically Beverly Hills 90210 with supernatural themes. Most of that network's output is Beverly Hills 90210 with [theme x] though.

I've been watching the US version of House of Cards and to be honest I'm not all that impressed. I think it's due to two things, I just don't find Kevin Spacey particularly convincing when compared with Ian Richardson* and I did like the British version a lot. Overall the feeling is rather like the US version of Cracker, Fitz, where it was obviously based on the same source material but was just a bit worse in every meaningful respect. And it's just too long as well, another common complaint I have with US adaptations of brit shows- though at least it isn't 22ish episodes like a standard US season is.

*the upper crust English accent delivering his disdainful soliloquy just works so much better, for me, than Frank's rather slight southern drawl. Plus, I don't like what they've done with his wife who in the english version is probably worse than Francis himself.

Vampire Diaries is basically Beverly Hills 90210 with supernatural themes. Most of that network's output is Beverly Hills 90210 with [theme x] though.

I've been watching the US version of House of Cards and to be honest I'm not all that impressed. I think it's due to two things, I just don't find Kevin Spacey particularly convincing when compared with Ian Richardson* and I did like the British version a lot. Overall the feeling is rather like the US version of Cracker, Fitz, where it was obviously based on the same source material but was just a bit worse in every meaningful respect. And it's just too long as well, another common complaint I have with US adaptations of brit shows- though at least it isn't 22ish episodes like a standard US season is.

*the upper crust English accent delivering his disdainful soliloquy just works so much better, for me, than Frank's rather slight southern drawl. Plus, I don't like what they've done with his wife who in the english version is probably worse than Francis himself.

I stopped watching House of Cards because quite frankly I couldn't sympathise with any of the characters. I suppose you're not really supposed to sympathise with Frank, but when the most sympathetic figure in a series is a drunk who manages to massively shaft his constituents by getting them all unemployed, I sort of have to scratch my chin and wonder why I'm watching.

Neither Frank nor Francis is meant to be a sympathetic character, certainly. They have some amount of the anti hero about them when taking on those you suspect are equally immoral but they are pretty much outright villains by any objective measure. I find I can cope with that OK, so long as the villainy is done in an interesting manner and with style.

Neither Frank nor Francis is meant to be a sympathetic character, certainly. They have some amount of the anti hero about them when taking on those you suspect are equally immoral but they are pretty much outright villains by any objective measure. I find I can cope with that OK, so long as the villainy is done in an interesting manner and with style.

The problem with that is at least so far as I've been watching, everything goes exactly according to plan for Frank. He manages to manipulate everyone exactly the way he wants to, and any loose end is quickly and effortlessly dealt with. I don't find that all that interesting.

Binged Rick and Morty. One of the best shows I've seen in a long time. Lawnmower Dog was probably my favorite episode.

Devastatorsig.jpg

^Ran by the creators of Reaper and the screenwriters for CA:The First Avenger and Thor: The Dark World.

Also Agents of SHIELD renewed for 2nd season.

Sleepy Hollow will also get 2-5 more episodes than its 1st season for its second.

iZombie picked up by CW (based on the Vertigo comic by Roberson and Allred and show run by Rob Thomas and many of the other people behind Veronica Mars)

Constantine picked up by NBC (based on the DC/Vertigo comic character; who appeared in an unrelated movie a few years back)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Gotham looks surprisingly good. Finally broke down and have been watching Community. When it first aired we watched the first couple episodes because we were Joel McHale fans, but it didn't grab us and we stopped. I'm 15 or so episodes into season 1 now and I'm hooked.

Devastatorsig.jpg