What you did today

Rosbjerg

The rollercoaster thing doesn't work for me, I hit my late 20's and now they just make me sick.

I've been struggling with doubts about my abilities lately.  There has been a rather sudden drop off in my ability to score goals in hockey.  Sometimes I feel out of place in front of the classroom this year, more than ever before.  I also have had some odd thoughts about my wife's fidelity, despite the fact she doesn't even have the time to step out on me.  It's been weird, I just feel off my game.  

I started trying to work out more regularly to deal with it.   :unsure:

Okay, when your married friends invite you along for a special screening of Chico & Rita - a film about the ups and downs of a Cuban pianist and his beautiful singing partner, as they battle to unite in music and love  - that will end with a tango session after the film, is it me or is that going to be a really third-wheel type of situation?  An evening of a love story inspired by the latin bolero, and ending with the passion of tango..  That really seems to me to be a couples thing.  

Not just a third-wheel situation, more like a giant caravan hitched to the Citroen. Don't do it, man, don't go on holiday. 

All Stop. On Screen.

I've been struggling with doubts about my abilities lately.  There has been a rather sudden drop off in my ability to score goals in hockey.  Sometimes I feel out of place in front of the classroom this year, more than ever before.  I also have had some odd thoughts about my wife's fidelity, despite the fact she doesn't even have the time to step out on me.  It's been weird, I just feel off my game.  

I think it's a smart idea to work out - sounds like it could be a natural drop in testosterone? That pretty much feels like loosing one's "edge".

Fortune favors the bald.

started trying to work out more regularly to deal with it  :unsure:

Everyone is coming from where I come from, today. Low-light blues and creeping what-if's. Exercise helps trick my limbs into thinking they have a purpose, for the time being, usually the mind follows. I just have to remember to trick my brain, too. I'm happy. I'm so happy. These cookies are amazing:blink: Actually the thing that works best, is having something to look forward to, for me. Just the anticipation of next month's Playstation launch, for example, might keep me going heads-up into the winter. There ain't no Mrs. Manifested, so a brother's got to manage.         

All Stop. On Screen.

Getting stuck in that "everything is meaningless" detachment is no fun.

I was in the same situation years ago, everything felt utterly unimportant and meaningless to me, I started to look for a meaning in everything and I failed of course because there is none, which made me fall into a crisis filled with lethargy and hopelessness.

What really helped me was to stop looking for a meaning and instead embrace the meaninglessness, the unimportance of everything, making the insignificance of existence a friend. With the pressure of looking for a meaning and importance in life gone I was able to get back on track with my life and now I feel better than ever. Adopting this mindset really improved my life in so many ways. I can see things clearer now, I can enjoy activities regardless of their unimportance, negative things or set backs hardly move me, I feel relaxed and at peace.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I think it's a smart idea to work out - sounds like it could be a natural drop in testosterone? That pretty much feels like loosing one's "edge".

Ok, so this might be crazy, but I did have a vasectomy last year.  Coincidence?

Getting increasingly depressed while there's seemingly no reason for it. Getting stuck in that "everything is meaningless" detachment is no fun. I wonder if I have some sort of chemical imbalance. How would one go about figuring that out? Can doctors tell if you have a chemical imbalance?

I don't think they'll diagnose you by running blood tests, if that's what you're wondering.

If it's a persistent issue, then that's the part that matters. And that's what they'll look for. I'm not going to give you the precise criteria from my DSM, but if it's something that is occurring to you regularly and for long stretches of time, that's something they should try to help you with.

Diagnosing over an internet forum is... ill-advised to put it gently. Somebody who can spend some real time with you trying to figure out how long problems have been going on, when they started, and has access to your medical history is really the place to start.

It could be middle age hitting you. It could be the vasectomy. It could be winter. There's a lot of things to consider. The big thing is less finding out the individual event that caused it and more figuring out how to adjust for it. If these are becoming problematic for you, then I do recommend seeing a professional. Doesn't even need to be a psychiatrist. Your regular physician can be a good first step.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Today I went to lecture, and was treated to the fine site of my roommate taking some...gentleman's time in the living area(don't really want to call it a room).

The government puts stuff in the water to turn people gay or make them sterile.

More realistically, you just might be getting older? If you are very concerned, it would be wise to see a doctor.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Age probably has a lot to do with it.  

It would be pretty hard to explain to the doctor that I've lost my edge.  It's not like I'm struggling physically on the ice, I'm still playing well.  I just haven't found the back of the net.  Same with work, I'm getting everything done.  

Maybe I should stop taking estrogen pills.   :blink:  

• Like 4

I KNEW IT!  :lol:

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This seems relevant.

http://youtu.be/-YWyZG_vII8

Edit: How the hell you embed video in these forums, argh.

ReEdit: Ok I figured it out.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Age probably has a lot to do with it.  

It would be pretty hard to explain to the doctor that I've lost my edge.  It's not like I'm struggling physically on the ice, I'm still playing well.  I just haven't found the back of the net.  Same with work, I'm getting everything done.  

Maybe I should stop taking estrogen pills.   :blink:  

I don't think your issues are age related, aren't you in your mid thirties? You are too young to be having a mid-life crisis

I suspects its hormonal and this is exacerbated by your concerns around your wife. Never underestimate the impact that certain personal issues can have with everything else in our lives. Its obvious you adore her and yet you also get very upset quickly when  she does something out of her routine, like recently when he didn't come home at a certain time and was drinking with friends. Anyway that's the avenue I would explore :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Heh, I am in my later mid-20s and I don't feel that good either. Though, this is partly due to winter coming, which always drags me down a lot. Well, and I had a truckton of really bad events happening since a year now, which doesn't help much as well. I have no idea how to counter that, as it seems like regardless of what I do, some new bad thing will happen..

Hell, last Friday I nearly quit my job, because of a coworker. I was so damn angry, I still wish I would have simply walked away, but another coworker convinced me not to.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Maybe you just need  what Dr John watson would call an 'alterative'. To reset your system.

Do some stuff that you wouldn't normally consider doing. You'll hate it, but hopefully remind yourself who you are.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm only concerned because I've danced this dance before and it held on for quite a long time, so better safe than sorry. I'm hoping it's just a seasonal dip but I'm taking it seriously.

You could contact PsyQ, they're everywhere in the Netherlands and you could do light therapy there to avoid Seasonal depression.

they also have a host of other psychological help if you need it, say, when you're depressed.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I KNEW IT!  :lol:

that's why I only drink rainwater and pure-grain alcohol.

points if you get the reference

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Getting stuck in that "everything is meaningless" detachment is no fun.

I was in the same situation years ago, everything felt utterly unimportant and meaningless to me, I started to look for a meaning in everything and I failed of course because there is none, which made me fall into a crisis filled with lethargy and hopelessness.

What really helped me was to stop looking for a meaning and instead embrace the meaninglessness, the unimportance of everything, making the insignificance of existence a friend. With the pressure of looking for a meaning and importance in life gone I was able to get back on track with my life and now I feel better than ever. Adopting this mindset really improved my life in so many ways. I can see things clearer now, I can enjoy activities regardless of their unimportance, negative things or set backs hardly move me, I feel relaxed and at peace.

I don't know but your perspective on life would be depressing for me. I am the complete opposite. I see relevance and order in almost everything. I like the way societies function. And I'm obviously a " glass is half full " person :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've only recently come to terms with the fact that I'd been having depressive episodes - for obvious reasons, if anyone's been following the last few years.

The fun thing I noticed about depression is that it makes you expect bad things, and then because you're in lockdown, bad things happen. It's like some sort of genius psychological state. Designed by an arse.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've only recently come to terms with the fact that I'd been having depressive episodes - for obvious reasons, if anyone's been following the last few years.

The fun thing I noticed about depression is that it makes you expect bad things, and then because you're in lockdown, bad things happen. It's like some sort of genius psychological state. Designed by an arse.

Its weird Walsie because I became active on these forums one year ago and you weren't posting a lot the first few months as far as I remember? Now it would be incongruous if I didn't see your interesting perspective on a daily basis :thumbsup:

John Milton 

Depression also makes you disinterested in almost everything. You can look at a large list of fun things to do, shrug your shoulders and go "meh, I dunno".

Saw this on reddit yesterday btw: http://media.utoronto.ca/media-releases/moderate-exercise-not-only-treats-but-prevents-depression/

Edited by JFSOCC

---

Its weird Walsie because I became active on these forums one year ago and you weren't posting a lot the first few months as far as I remember? Now it would be incongruous if I didn't see your interesting perspective on a daily basis :thumbsup:

I was working for a client ...and there is an historic correlation between my mental state and my employment by that client. I would not think it wise to speculate on the nature of that correlation.

I'm still trying to get on an even keel just now. But *shrugs* you have to keep going. I think above all, and no matter how down you feel, you have to keep faith with yourself. Recognise your flaws, but always strike OUTwards.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

You just have to make sure that striking outwards is somewhat metaphorical and you don't try to use anger and a cricket bat to do so...

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."