What you did today

Rosbjerg

Why shameful ? They should be held account same as anyone else.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why shameful ? They should be held account same as anyone else.

To drag someones career though the mud and suspend them for almost a year for shooting a dog? C'mon, its a freaking dog. I understand that it sucks for the owner (and Im a dog owner) but this was almost comically over reacted, imo.

To drag someones career though the mud and suspend them for almost a year for shooting a dog? C'mon, its a freaking dog. I understand that it sucks for the owner (and Im a dog owner) but this was almost comically over reacted, imo.

If a non-cop did this, I'd imagine they'd end up in a similar situation. As for dragging through the mud, I'm not overly sympathetic, he did something and was held account for it. Doubt it'll stick with him anyway in the future.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

How often do non-cops end up in this situation?  Most of us are pretty lucky our jobs don't put us in this type of scenario.

I suppose I should have put that it was hypothetical rather than relying on the 'if' to convey that.

If you have a stray dog loose on your property, you can shoot it and expect minimal fuss, by the way.  Now the cops were called to deal with a loose pitbull in the neighborhood.  They tried to get the animal handler to deal with it, they tried to taze it, and then they shot it.  Seems like a pretty simple case, the video doesn't change any of that.

It is super hard for me to sympathize with the pitbull.  I've got a three year old son and I've heard way too many terrible stories about pitbulls and small children.  If one was loose in my neighborhood I would want police to take care of it by any means necessary.

Interesting effect the breed has on you, the dog certainly didn't look out of control in the video - aside from what I imagine is expected when a collar is forced on an animal.

• Like 1

Interesting effect the breed has on you, the dog certainly didn't look out of control in the video - aside from what I imagine is expected when a collar is forced on an animal.

Did you read this?

https://www.causes.com/actions/1753697-fatal-pit-bull-attacks-sharply-rise-in-2013

That's some pretty terrifying stuff.

Yes, the breed can be dangerous. Any dog can be, differing degrees of potential damage to be sure.

Edited by Malcador

Wanna stay in, but I wanna go out.. I guess I just kinda miss company today and yet can't be bothered to actually work for it. So I've been watching bad movies and eating crisps.

Fortune favors the bald.

Yes, the breed can be dangerous. Any dog can be, differing degrees of potential damage to be sure.

I do love dogs by the way, and if I didn't have small children I'd probably be more willing to take in a pitbull under certain circumstances.  

So your chance of getting killed by a pitbul is less than 1 in 100.000000. Of the things to be scared of that would be pretty low on the list. 

I doubt that is reassuring for these people:

1. Betty Todd, 65-years old - Killed by her son's pet pit bull.  
  2. Christian Gormanous, 4-years old - Killed by his neighbor's chained pit bull 
  3. Elsie Grace, 91-years old - Killed by her son's two pit bulls  
  4. Isaiah Aguilar, 2-years old - Killed by his neighbor's chained pit bull  
  5. Ryan Maxwell, 7-years old - Killed by a pit bull while visiting family friends
  6. Daxton Borchardt, 14-months old - Killed by his babysitter's two pet pit bulls
  7. Monica Laminack, 21-months old - Killed by her family's pet pit bulls  
  8. Tyler Jett, 7-years old - Killed by his neighbor's two pit bull-mix dogs  
  9. Claudia Gallardo, 38-years old - Killed by a property owner's pit bull  
  10. Jordyn Arndt, 4-years old - Killed by her babysitter's pit bull  
  11. Beau Rutledge, 2-years old - Killed by his family's pet pit bull  
  12. Rachael Honabarger, 35-years old - Killed by her family German shepherd
  13. Pamela Devitt, 63-years old - Killed by a pack of loose pit bulls  
  14. Carlton Freeman, 80-years old - Killed by four roaming pit bulls

Wanna stay in, but I wanna go out.. I guess I just kinda miss company today and yet can't be bothered to actually work for it. So I've been watching bad movies and eating crisps.

Youre probably still sporting the lumps from last weekend. Maybe you can parlay that into some story where you saved a nun from a biker gang. Chicks love heroes.

• Like 1

As the more impartial article I linked in the other thread said

All bigger and stronger breeds are more likely to be deadly in the event of an attack.

Luckily great danes and saint bernards aren't seen as a cool macho status symbol so you get less idiots raising and encouraging their dogs to be aggressive

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I would never own a pit bull. Theyre great dogs right up until they eat your kids face. A good friend of mine has two kids under 7 yo and just got a pit bull. I made a point of smh at him. I know, I know, its how you treat them but its funny that you don't hear of other breeds being so dangerous even though just as many of them are mistreated.

• Like 2

Theyre great ...right up until they eat your kids face.

The same is true of garden snails.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Just finished backing up all files I have except for anything on an online or cloud service. Now to napalm scrub my harddrives with holy fire and rebuild society in the form of a clean install.

Wish me luck. these kinds of things have a tendency of blowing up in my face (it's the holy fire) and I may not be around for a couple days.

• Like 2

I'm kind of there myself. A friend is having a party in about three hours so I will probably heft my ass up and go flirt and drink.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Sometimes I really don't get the way you think and rationalize things Malc :unsure:

You don't really seem to  care about important topics like women's rights  or the abuse of gay people in Russia but you care about some vicious dog getting killed by the  USA police?

In South Africa there have been numerous incidents of stray Pit Bulls being involved in fatal attacks against children, the Police in this case did the right thing and I would argue was the only responsible course of action. The sad reality is that the owners of this Pit Bull should be charged with neglect of an animal as these dogs are dangerous and cannot be allowed to roam the streets

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I would never own a pit bull. Theyre great dogs right up until they eat your kids face. A good friend of mine has two kids under 7 yo and just got a pit bull. I made a point of smh at him. I know, I know, its how you treat them but its funny that you don't hear of other breeds being so dangerous even though just as many of them are mistreated.

Excerpt from the Wikipedia page on pit bulls:

"A study questioned the bull dog reputation as a dangerous breed. An electronic search of newspaper articles by Raghavan found that pit bull terriers were responsible for 1 (4%) of 28 dog-bite-related fatalities reported in Canada from 1990–2007. The study also noted that:

A higher proportion of sled dogs and, possibly, mixed-breed dogs in Canada than in the United States caused fatalities, as did multiple dogs rather than single dogs. Free-roaming dog packs, reported only from rural communities, caused most on-reserve fatalities.
The total number of fatal dog attacks from the 17-year period is equal to about 1 fatal attack per year, while the Clifton Report, a study that includes the 1990–2007 period in the Canadian Veterinary Journal Study, shows an average of 6 fatalities attributed to pit bulls alone annually in the U.S. and Canada.The Clifton Report notes that one limitation is that even experts may disagree as to the breed of a particular dog.
In a project called the "Calgary Model," legislation addressing bad owners instead of breeds has been the focus. After implementation, which included fining the owner $350–$1,500 in dog bite cases, there was a 25-year low in the incidence of such cases.
Several studies determined that pit bull owners, and owners of other "vicious" or "high risk" breeds (most commonly identified as Akita, Chow Chow, Doberman Pinscher, Rottweiler, and Wolf-mix), are more likely to have criminal convictions and are more likely to display antisocial behaviors. A 2006 study compared owners of "high risk" dogs to owners of "low risk" dogs. "High risk" dogs included “vicious” dogs by breed (e.g., pit bulls) or “vicious” actions (e.g., any dog that had bitten, attacked, or killed a person or other animal). The study determined that "high risk" dog owners had nearly 10 times as many criminal convictions than did "low risk" dog owners.[47] A 2009 study[48] and a followup 2012 study generally supported these findings."
  • Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It seems to me that there's a persistent flaw in human reasoning on risk.

Whenever a risk comprises several components, we argue about which of the two equally vital things are vital. Rather than seeing the combination of the two as the threat.

- dry brush and cigarettes

- fierce loyal dogs and lazy owners

- etc [i can think of more, but don't like any of the connotations involved]

We persistently focus on things as bad, rather than the use and application of things.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Excerpt from the Wikipedia page on pit bulls:

"A study questioned the bull dog reputation as a dangerous breed. An electronic search of newspaper articles by Raghavan found that pit bull terriers were responsible for 1 (4%) of 28 dog-bite-related fatalities reported in Canada from 1990–2007. The study also noted that:

A higher proportion of sled dogs and, possibly, mixed-breed dogs in Canada than in the United States caused fatalities, as did multiple dogs rather than single dogs. Free-roaming dog packs, reported only from rural communities, caused most on-reserve fatalities.
The total number of fatal dog attacks from the 17-year period is equal to about 1 fatal attack per year, while the Clifton Report, a study that includes the 1990–2007 period in the Canadian Veterinary Journal Study, shows an average of 6 fatalities attributed to pit bulls alone annually in the U.S. and Canada.The Clifton Report notes that one limitation is that even experts may disagree as to the breed of a particular dog.
In a project called the "Calgary Model," legislation addressing bad owners instead of breeds has been the focus. After implementation, which included fining the owner $350–$1,500 in dog bite cases, there was a 25-year low in the incidence of such cases.
Several studies determined that pit bull owners, and owners of other "vicious" or "high risk" breeds (most commonly identified as Akita, Chow Chow, Doberman Pinscher, Rottweiler, and Wolf-mix), are more likely to have criminal convictions and are more likely to display antisocial behaviors. A 2006 study compared owners of "high risk" dogs to owners of "low risk" dogs. "High risk" dogs included “vicious” dogs by breed (e.g., pit bulls) or “vicious” actions (e.g., any dog that had bitten, attacked, or killed a person or other animal). The study determined that "high risk" dog owners had nearly 10 times as many criminal convictions than did "low risk" dog owners.[47] A 2009 study[48] and a followup 2012 study generally supported these findings."

This looks like something you guys added to Wikipedia right now just to prove your point !!!!

:p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela