What you did today

Rosbjerg

I do draw the line when I am truly old enough to be someone's dad ;)

:biggrin: Melk thats not true I'm afraid

There are 17-19 year old super models on magazine covers that represent global fashion movements. You can admire the beauty, it doesn't have to be sordid.

But how old was this girl anyway?

I'd say late teens. Who can tell with them these days? Anything between 16-19 would be my guess.

On that note. The actually rather attractive young woman in my power-abs course showed up without her boyfriend today. If she makes a habit out of that I may be forced to actually talk to her. ( she reminds me of Claudia Donovan from Warehouse 13... )

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Dammit United is getting hammered.

You Might Be An American If:

Your initial thought was that this post was about the airline and its stock price. 

(Sorry, Wals.  Not quite ready for that whole "Englishman" thing just yet.)

• Like 2

*Wants a new bluray/dvd player*

Store clerk: Can I help you find anything? I'm the expert in this section.

Me: Are any of these still a "dumb" blu-ray player?

Store clerk: *silence*

...even the dumbest still has (optional) internet connectivity and a boot-up time. I think that's what I dislike the most about a lot of the new media units. Boot-up time. When I turn something on, I want it to be functional as instantly as possible, like the old days. Not have to stand there for many seconds, disk in hand, waiting for the darn unit to decide it's ready. Boot up time is ok for a computer, not so awesome for a DVD player.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thank you! Finally! Stupid "smart" devices that aren't. I don't want a smart TV, or a smart blu-ray player. There is no such thing as successfully "recommending" shows. I don't want to talk to a stupid remote. I already have four devices capable of Netflix that I don't even use because it lags like a mad hag. To hell with facebook on my TV, christ. Whew, I feel a little better, thanks.   

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

I spent hours trying to identify a problem with one of my rifles, it makes me question the laws of physics of our universe because this simple rifle seems to defy them.
It simply does the impossible, it shoots 30 centimeters left at 50yds , and its of course not even on the paper at 100yds. I can't adjust the sights enough to get it in the black at 50. (iron sights) And there seems to be nothing wrong with the rifle. 

Its not me, the shooter, I let other accurate shooters shoot it and they all hit waaay left with it.
Its not the factory ammo, it shoots fine in my other rifles and with my handloads it too hits way left.
Its not loose action screws, I checked them after each round.
The rear and front sight / sight bases are perfectly centered above the bore and not canted.
As far as I can tell the barrel is not bent.
The bore diameter for this caliber is perfect.
The muzzle crown and the rifling is not damaged. No part of the rifle is damaged.
The barrel does not touch the wooden stock anywhere, it can vibrate freely.
The action is properly bedded.
Noticeable spindrift occurs only at 1000+ meters

If I put a laser into the bore the sights are pefectly aimed at the laser dot on the wall, yet the projectile does not hit even close to the laser dot.  
Jinxed it is!

Any metalworkers, physicist or peoples with brains here that have an explanation for this?

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I spent hours trying to identify a problem with one of my rifles, it makes me question the laws of physics of our universe because this simple rifle seems to defy them.

It simply does the impossible, it shoots 30 centimeters left at 50yds , and its of course not even on the paper at 100yds. I can't adjust the sights enough to get it in the black at 50. (iron sights) And there seems to be nothing wrong with the rifle. 

Its not me, the shooter, I let other accurate shooters shoot it and they all hit waaay left with it.

Its not the factory ammo, it shoots fine in my other rifles and with my handloads it too hits way left.

The rear and front sight / sight bases are perfectly centered above the bore and not canted.

The muzzle crown and the rifling is not damaged. No part of the rifle is damaged.

If I put a laser into the bore the sights are pefectly aimed at the laser dot on the wall, yet the projectile does not hit even close to the laser dot.  

Jinxed it is!

Any metalworkers, physicist or peoples with brains here that have an explanation for this?

If you are shooting left by 30 cm at 50 yards, that's an angle of deflection of 0.376 degrees.   If the iron sights are perfectly aligned with the barrel shaft then my first guess would be that the bore is off center.  I'm puzzled about the laser bore sighting though.   I checked some gun forums and they all advised contacting the manufacturer with a test pattern and asking them to if they had test patterns to compare or to ask help in resolving it. 

You have a pic of the gun in question?

PS:  I can't think of any physical explanation involving the ammo that would result in that much of a miss at that range.   30 cms is a freaking foot! 

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reply!  Its 70 year old surpuls rifle so contact the responsible persons might be...difficult.  :grin:

The bore being off center was my first instinctive thought as well, there are several surplus guns that suffer from a bore that does not go perfectly straight through the barrel. However, it does not appear to be the case, the barrel wall thickness at the muzzle is very uniform all around, its seems to be perfectly centered, the bore being off center at the receiver end is not possible due to the action of the gun. If it were off center by just one millimeter the gun wouldn't work properly.

The only halfway plausible problem could be some very weird unlucky barrel vibrations when firing that throws the rounds waaaay off, but I really doubt thats whats happening here. I've never heard of bad barrel harmonics that screws up the POI that bad. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Currently I am satisfyingly sore, and am intending to get in at least a good hour of cardio before my exam tomorrow.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If you are shooting left by 30 cm at 50 yards, that's an angle of deflection of 0.376 degrees.

Could I see the equation for this? I'm too tired for geometry at the moment.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Forms a triangle, hypotenuse will be 4572.0984241374331988769443992886 cm.

You know 4572.0984241374331988769443992886 sin a will be 30, so sin a = 0.00656153853592068401400933578236

Arcsine of that is 0.37595116 degrees.

or another way is

4572.0984241374331988769443992886 cos a is going to be 4572 so the ccosine of that will be 0.99997847287431224373502277323167, and the arccosine = 0.37595116

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If you are shooting left by 30 cm at 50 yards, that's an angle of deflection of 0.376 degrees.

Could I see the equation for this? I'm too tired for geometry at the moment.

Malcador has it.  :)

On Thursday I'll take the rifle to a competent gunsmith, I can't wait for his analysis.  He is great at fixing gun problems, but this is a hard nut to crack. 

Let us know what he says please.  :)

If the OD-ID difference is constant, then the bore is likely fine.  The only other thing I can think of would be a slight bend in the barrel.  The bend would need to be

(30 cm / 4752 cm) x barrel length  =>  For a 24 inch (60.96 cm) barrel that would be 3.848 mm. 

Edited by kgambit

Forms a triangle, hypotenuse will be 4572.0984241374331988769443992886 cm.

You know 4572.0984241374331988769443992886 sin a will be 30, so sin a = 0.00656153853592068401400933578236

Arcsine of that is 0.37595116 degrees.

or another way is

4572.0984241374331988769443992886 cos a is going to be 4572 so the ccosine of that will be 0.99997847287431224373502277323167, and the arccosine = 0.37595116

I'll have you know that equation was more informative than my entire high school geometry class. Admittedly, the class was ****, but your post was informative nonetheless.

Today is a public holiday in South Africa, its officially called Heritage Day but most people refer to it as Barbeque(Braai) Day. Today is where we celebrate the strength of our cultural and historical diversity. We believe we are a stronger nation by our diversity and we typically do this by having a barbeque and inviting friends and family around.

Since I barbeque regularly I'm going to be chilling and gaming today :)

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Today is a public holiday in South Africa, its officially called Heritage Day but most people refer to it as Barbeque(Braai) Day. Today is where we celebrate the strength of our cultural and historical diversity. We believe we are a stronger nation by our diversity and we typically do this by having a barbeque and inviting friends and family around.

Since I barbeque regularly I'm going to be chilling and gaming today  :)

How many holidays do you have there? It seems almost every other week you celebrate.

• Like 1

Since I barbeque regularly I'm going to be chilling and gaming today  :)

How many holidays do you have there? It seems almost every other week you celebrate.

:lol:

Yeah it does seem like an excessive number. We have 13 counting the religious ones that you guys celebrate as well, like Easter :)

http://www.public-holidays.co.za/

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

About to curl up under some blankets and watch the 1937 comedy film Topper. I love that movie.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On Thursday I'll take the rifle to a competent gunsmith, I can't wait for his analysis.  He is great at fixing gun problems, but this is a hard nut to crack. 

Been a while, but could the barrel have been flipped? I think you should be able to tell that with the laser, but used to be some of the odd stuff they did at depots.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Noticeable spindrift occurs only at 1000+ meters

Jinxed it is!

The soul of the machine is angry. You should propitiate it using the standard Imperial Guard primer. I'll see if I can find mine in a minute.

~

I don't see there's anything wrong with melkathi looking away like a gentleman rather than skeezing a duration ogle. Of course I can't help having an extremely strong visual memory, either.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Labadal's Diary

Spetember 24

7th Day of Evil Cold

I awoke in a state of tiredness I have never felt before. Getting up from bed feels almost impossible. I'll stay a little longer. Lying in bed I see a fly. It is buzzing. It watches me, and I watch it back. It speaks to me, I don't understand it. It speaks again, but I can't understand. It lands on my nose, this time speaking in an intimidating tone. I'm scared. What have I done to you, fly? Have I ever wronged you? You're driving me mad. Mad, mad, madness. The fly, it speaks to me. I do not understand. I need to understand. To understand I need to become the fly, be one with the fly. I am the fly. Mad, madness? Fly? I am the fly? I am the fly.

Look at that human, size doesn't matter. I'll show you. I'm mad, mad at you, you snoring half awake non shaved human. I'll show you who's mad.

• Like 2

Labadal's Diary

Spetember 24

7th Day of Evil Cold

I awoke in a state of tiredness I have never felt before. Getting up from bed feels almost impossible. I'll stay a little longer. Lying in bed I see a fly. It is buzzing. It watches me, and I watch it back. It speaks to me, I don't understand it. It speaks again, but I can't understand. It lands on my nose, this time speaking in an intimidating tone. I'm scared. What have I done to you, fly? Have I ever wronged you? You're driving me mad. Mad, mad, madness. The fly, it speaks to me. I do not understand. I need to understand. To understand I need to become the fly, be one with the fly. I am the fly. Mad, madness? Fly? I am the fly? I am the fly.

Look at that human, size doesn't matter. I'll show you. I'm mad, mad at you, you snoring half awake non shaved human. I'll show you who's mad.

:lol: You funny and weird, I like you

John Milton 

Today I woke up with Revenge of Doh's theme tune on repeat inside my brain.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: