Weird News Stories

ShadySands

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Warning-student-pays-pound-450-photo-Xbox/story-20263203-detail/story.html

A TEENAGER has been left fuming after mistakenly buying a photo of an in-demand computer console online.

Peter Clatworthy thought he had paid £450 for an XBox One console on eBay, but actually received a picture of one in the post.

The 19-year-old student, of Bilborough, had saved up in order to buy a limited edition Day One version of the console as a surprise Christmas present for his four-year-old son, McKenzie.

He has now contested the purchase with eBay, which has investigated and stated he should get a full refund from the seller.

Funny too, guy is 19 and has a 4 year old son.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Warning-student-pays-pound-450-photo-Xbox/story-20263203-detail/story.html

A TEENAGER has been left fuming after mistakenly buying a photo of an in-demand computer console online.

Peter Clatworthy thought he had paid £450 for an XBox One console on eBay, but actually received a picture of one in the post.

The 19-year-old student, of Bilborough, had saved up in order to buy a limited edition Day One version of the console as a surprise Christmas present for his four-year-old son, McKenzie.

He has now contested the purchase with eBay, which has investigated and stated he should get a full refund from the seller.

Sadly, not that unusual. When my younger brother was in Jr. High when those schools still existed in Ontario, at some party a bunch of them got drunk and decided they would have sex. Something stupid like 4 girls got pregnant that night. My buddy ended up marrying one of 'em. When I was in Jr. high, I was happy with 2nd base.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Sadly, not that unusual. When my younger brother was in Jr. High when those schools still existed in Ontario, at some party a bunch of them got drunk and decided they would have sex. Something stupid like 4 girls got pregnant that night. My buddy ended up marrying one of 'em. When I was in Jr. high, I was happy with 2nd base.

What a magical and romantic story. I think we should option it to Disney.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Jr High in Kanada? That must have been a 4 decades ago. There was no jr high when I went to school.

You went to school?

"Geography is the best subject ever. LULUZ"

• Like 3

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Now I'm curious about the Canadan school system up there in frigid Canadia

For me in podunk town rural Arizona it was a follows

K-5 - Elementary

6-8 - Jr High

9-12 - High School

Though my class was the last in our school district to have 6th grade be in Jr High and it was also the last year they called it Jr High. I think they call it middle school now.

Free games updated 3/4/21

K-8 was Elementary for me, then 9-13 in high school

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Junior High's, or Middle Schools, exist in most of the US, but I guess they only have them in certain provinces in Canada.  Even in the US there are still many elementary schools that go k-8, but they are typically magnets or offer something unique.

What is grade 13?

Now I'm curious about the Canadan school system up there in frigid Canadia

For me in podunk town rural Arizona it was a follows

K-5 - Elementary

6-8 - Jr High

9-12 - High School

Though my class was the last in our school district to have 6th grade be in Jr High and it was also the last year they called it Jr High. I think they call it middle school now.

That's how it was for me growing up in Ohio, EXCEPT that elementary ran thru 6 and Jr High was 7-8.

When I went to school, it used to be:

K-6: Elementary

7-8: Jr. High

9-OAC (13): High

Plus, high school had Basic, General and Advanced classes.

Now it's:

JK (Junior Kindergarten)-7: Elementary

8-12: High School

They got rid of B/G/A for grade 9 students only(?) by the time I graduated and got my OAC's. I think they became Workplace, College, University (I'm probably wrong. They eventually became that anyways for all 4 HS grades.) Now apparently it's:

Grade 9-10:

Academic (D), Applied (P), Open (O)

Grade 11-12:

University Prep (U), University/College Prep (M), College Prep ©, Workplace Prep (E), Open (O).

So what used to be ENG2A1 (Grade 10 advanced English - 1 credit) I now assume is ENG2D (they must have gotten rid of 2 credit courses, or they're coded differently. Who knows.)

I assume the initial changes were done for the same reason why government imposes euphemistic language. This current system... I say go back to B/G/A.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

US spy agency takes sinister space octopus as mascot.

http://rt.com/usa/nro-satellite-octopus-emblem-854/

-Elwood Blues

I assumed before opening it, that they took on Cthulhu. That looks like every over-the-top evil organization's logo in a movie. Blofeld and Dr. Evil would be proud. Well played supposed model of democracy!

EDIT: Will their great-great-great grandchildren be hanging out in an oil rig?

Edited by babaganoosh13
  • Like 1

See, I could see myself developing a bunch of those patch designs for a geeky joke and that no-one really pays that much attention to the NRO.. So I can quite easily understand some amused geek throwing these things together as an in-joke, without thinking that people are really going to take much notice.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Walsingham, on 07 Dec 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:Walsingham, on 07 Dec 2013 - 06:31 AM, said: Walsingham, on 07 Dec 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

Someone there seems to have a sense of humor. :thumbsup: Tremble evildoers! Actually this reminds me of Oddworld : Stranger's Wrath.

Edit: Just noticed the link is to a Russian website. Of course they would get their panties in a bunch.

Here's an insignia from one of the Navy squadrons. Oh, no, it's a sinister looking werewolf with a bomb and lightning!

post-23820-0-01681100-1386532810_thumb.gif

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

So the state takes a relatively "independent" news service, shuts it down, merges stuff with another, and appoints an ultra-conservative government man in control...

Kremlin shuts down RIA Novosti News agency

State-owned news agency RIA Novosti is to be shut down and replaced by a new media outlet, according to a decree signed by President Vladimir Putin and published on the Kremlin’s website this morning. The new arrangements will see RIA Novosti and the Voice of Russia radio station merged to form a new media organisation, Rossiya Segodnya (Russia Today). The aim of the new agency will be to “cover Russian state policy and public life in the Russian Federation”.

Sergei Ivanov, head of the president’s administration, told press the move was to make “more rational use of public money”. He added: “Russia is following its own policy and firmly defending its national interests. It’s not easy to explain this to the world, but it can and must be done.”

Despite being state-owned, RIA Novosti has earned a reputation for independent and balanced reporting including on sensitive issues such as the anti-government protests that rocked Moscow in 2011 and 2012. BBC’s Moscow Correspondent Daniel Sanford said on Twitter: “RIA Novosti was an outlier. I guess the Kremlin doesn’t like outliers … The staff at RIA Novosti covered all the controversial topics of recent years without the absurd spin put on by state TV.”

In a further twist, the Kremlin has also appointed the ultra-conservative TV presenter Dmitry Kiselyov as head of the new organisation. Kiselyov recently made global headlines for his remarks on the law banning homosexual propaganda. Speaking in a television debate in 2012, he said that gay people “should be banned from donating blood or sperm, and if they die in a car crash, their hearts should be burnt or buried in the ground as they are unsuitable for the continuation of life”.

Writing about their dissolution on their own website, RIA Novosti said: “The move is the latest in a series of shifts in Russia’s news landscape, which appear to point towards a tightening of state control in the already heavily regulated media sector.”

In an interview with Kommersant FM radio, Nikolai Svanidze, a journalist and member of the presidential human rights committee, saw clear political motivations behind the decision: “Evidently it was decided in the Kremlin that the leash is too long, or doesn’t exist at all, that the management of this structure are expressing their positions of protest and now, especially with what’s going on in Kiev, when the Kremlin are responding more emotionally to anything political, it is necessary to shorten this leash somehow and make this structure more reliable.”

Although the new organisation will have the same name as the English-language TV news channel, the two are not connected. The head of the Russia Today (RT) channel, Margarita Simonyan, told news site Lenta.ru that she only found out about the agency from news reports on Monday morning.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Jesus :D

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What a guy! Tao Hsiao is going on my list of remembered names.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

The NSA placed spies in the massively multiplayer online role-playing game World of Warcraft in a bid to tackle info-swapping terrorists, it has emerged.

According to the latest leaked document published by The Guardian, spooks were stationed in the virtual world of Azeroth and told to “hide in plain sight".

The NSA briefing note (PDF) was written in 2008 and is titled "Exploiting Terrorist Use of Games & Virtual Environments".

It warned that online games were a "target-rich communications network" which allow terrorists to meet and communicate securely. Some games effectively act as virtual private networks allowing dozens of terrorists to speak securely to each other, the NSA claimed.

At one point there were so many spooks playing Warcraft and other virtual reality games like Second Life, that the NSA had to set up a "de-confliction" team to make sure the teams didn't end up spying on each other.

“Al-Qaeda terrorist target selectors… have been found associated with XboxLive, Second Life, World of Warcraft, and other GVEs [Games and Virtual Environments]," the document said. "Other targets include Chinese hackers, an Iranian nuclear scientist, Hezbollah and Hamas members.”

The NSA documents also suggest that GCHQ made a "vigorous effort" to produce exploitation modules in Xbox Live and World of Warcraft.

Blizzard, the makers of WoW, denied allowing spooks to penetrate their world.

"We are unaware of any surveillance taking place," a spokesman for Blizzard Entertainment said. "If it was, it would have been done without our knowledge or permission."

Microsoft and Second Life devs Linden Lab declined to comment on the claims.

-Elwood Blues

So... exactly how many WOW subscriptions did our taxes buy for our friends at the NSA?  Now THAT's what I call a real job perk!

Sounds like cruel and unusual fething work to me. :p

-Elwood Blues