Weird News Stories

ShadySands

Oy Vey.

io9 - Disney appoints Committee to Determine a new Official Star Wars

The Expanded Universe as we knew it will soon be no more. Disney has created a special committee whose job it will be to figure out what is and isn't part of a complete Star Wars canon — meaning all the EU material created over the years will be judged, and either become official or deemed invalid.

Furthermore, this means at some point all new Star Wars spin-offs will matter, because they will all be official. I don't know how I feel about that.

The Story Group, as its called, includes Leland Chee, who has been Lucasfilm's "Keeper of the Holocron," the in-house database of everything Star Wars.

We obviously don't know what will be kept and what will be lost, but now we know that instead of separating the official Star Wars universe from the Expanded Universe, we're going to get one consistent (hopefully) universe, where every story told is official, whether it be a movie, a comic, a book, or a videogame. I would guess that Disney would cherry pick a few things from the material that's come before — probably big stuff like the Clone Wars cartoon, maybe some of the Knights of the Old Republic material — but I can't imagine them burdening themselves down with too much old material, as most of it would merely inhibit the new stories they want to tell (and products they want to sell). I also can't imagine they'd really want any of the Star Wars books set after the movies, as those will almost certainly get in their way of their sequels.

But who knows? Do you guys have any votes for what should stay and what should go? What would you most hate to lose?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Poor bastards, sifting through that.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of characters suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened..."

So would it be possible for them to completely erase Jar Jar Binks from the canon...  and the part where Darth Vader Anakin is a whiny mama's boy...  and midichlorians...  actually just erase everything in the new trilogy?

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Heh, I liked the comment about "this is like the first great ecumenical council. Will we end up with history remembering this date as the split between Orthodox Star Wars and..."

Edit:

Although I'm sure lots of fans would hope they'd pull most of what Karen Traviss wrote.

Edited by Raithe

Jar Jar binks, and those weirdly racist looking Chinese alien things are gone, baby, gone.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And a chilly farewell to Rotta, the abomination that is supposed to be Jabba the Hutt's child. Slimy Hutts don't have children. They just snap right off and become two adults when the time is ripe. This is common knowledge!!

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Man Allegedly Kills Stepdad with ‘Atomic Wedgie’

A brutal fight between a former Marine and his stepfather in Oklahoma ended in the stepfather’s death by “atomic wedgie,” also known as death by underwear.

Denver St. Clair had been arguing with his stepson, Brad Davis, 33, last month when the two began to fight. Davis told police that St. Clair had spoken “ill of Davis’ mother,” and then threw the first punch. The men had been drinking, investigators told ABC affiliate KNXV.

Davis said he fought back and then gave his father an “atomic wedgie” in which he stretched the elastic waistband of St. Clair’s underwear up over his head. The move is most often used as a prank among children and teenagers.

The waistband strangled St. Clair, who stopped breathing, according to KNXV. Davis called 911, but St. Clair was dead by the time officers arrived, reported KNXV.

According the the affidavit obtained by the affiliate station, police said the underwear left a ligature mark around St. Clair’s neck and noted that there was blood around the kitchen and living room.

Davis was booked into the Pottawatomie County Jail where a judge ordered him held without bond for first-degree murder. “We continued our investigation and uncovered evidence that led us to believe that this was more than just a fight,” Sheriff Mike Booth told KNXV.

Davis’ mother, Tressi St. Clair, who was married to Denver St. Clair, could not be reached for comment today.

Free games updated 3/4/21

It is totally necessary to re-establish the canon, it's pretty much a mess right now.  I'd say the Old Republic stuff will be safe, but all the stuff after Return of the Jedi is in danger.

Too bad, I actually kind of liked the new era. Even yuuzhan vong.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Why pit pulls are the most vicious breed

Pit bulls have been called many things. Unfortunately, caring and heroic aren't often among them.

Still, those are the only words we'd use to describe Champ.

The pit bull, who is almost 12 years old, came to his owner's rescue Saturday when a robber allegedly assaulted her.

Millie Fiser, 60, was picking up the trash outside her Little Rock, Ark., home when a man reportedly pushed her to the ground from behind and demanded money, ArkansasOnline reports.

"I didn't see or hear anything behind me," Fiser told KATV. "The next thing, I just got a real hard shove. I fell to the ground and hollered, 'Champ, Champ, help!'"

Champ, who neighbors refer to as a gentle giant, came to his owner's aid and barked at the suspected assailant until he fled, according to ArkansasOnline.

Though she has a sore shoulder and bruising, Fiser told KATV that her injuries are minor -- thanks to Champ.

"I know that he would literally die for me. This is a real good example that he will always be right there for me -- always, always."

Last year, a brave pit bull named Lefty took a bullet to protect her owner from an intruder in their home.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm sure they won't mess with Thrawn, I can't guarantee the safety of Disney World if they do. 

Note: This is sarcasm NSA/FBI

I rather like the idea that you actually WILL guarantee the safety of Disney World.

A heroic, timeless defender, inappropriately attired and smelling of cabbage stems.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That's nice, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the facts about pitbulls.

You should see the propaganda the ASPCA puts out about them.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/12/woman-tries-to-sue-lawyers-because-they-failed-to-tell-her-a-divorce-settlement-would-end-her-marriage-4259459/

Woman suing lawyers as she wasn't aware divorce would end her marriage.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's nice, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the facts about pitbulls.

You should see the propaganda the ASPCA puts out about them.

When referring to something as propaganda, the first thing you need to find out is what the group gains by spreading information in that way.  Why would the ASPCA bother with a smear campaign against a specific breed of dog?  

It's wondering how the original Taoist temple was built..  Those monks carting up building supplies certainly didn't have airlift help..

You right, that's more of an enigma. Unless the teahouse is more modern than what they are saying ?

There's actually more than one path up the mountain; the government has closed off some paths because they're dangerous and created safer paths which may not correspond to the original paths the makers of the temple took.

There are settlements all up the mountain and a Taoist/Daoist shrine was located at the base, so more than likely they shifted supplies through the settlements in stages.

I'd guess - I don't know for sure...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It's wondering how the original Taoist temple was built..  Those monks carting up building supplies certainly didn't have airlift help..

You right, that's more of an enigma. Unless the teahouse is more modern than what they are saying ?

There's actually more than one path up the mountain; the government has closed off some paths because they're dangerous and created safer paths which may not correspond to the original paths the makers of the temple took.

There are settlements all up the mountain and a Taoist/Daoist shrine was located at the base, so more than likely they shifted supplies through the settlements in stages.

That's interesting about the alternative routes, how do you know this if you don't mind me asking ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That's interesting about the alternative routes, how do you know this if you don't mind me asking ?

Read about the mountain after the pictures were posted.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Duffelblog - Former Marines start a Kickstarter to retake Fallujah

CAMP PENDLETON, CA – A pair of former Marines have launched a Kickstarter project to raise enough money for them to travel back to Iraq and retake the city of Fallujah in time for the ten-year anniversary of the battle.

“Hi, I’m Austin Jenkins and this is Joe Wood. We’re Marines, and this is our Kickstarter fund to send us back to Iraq to go **** some **** up,” begins the now-famous video pitch featuring the two Iraq War veterans. They are seeking $1300 to fly them one-way from the U.S. to Jordan, where they intend to cross the Iraqi border in order to “make it rain.”

When asked how they plan to fight Al Qaeda militants, Jenkins said, “Yeah, where are we gonna find any weapons in Iraq?” Then they both started laughing.

Jenkins, a former Sergeant in 3rd Battalion 1st Marines, took part in the Second Battle of Fallujah in November 2004. Wood, also a former Sergeant but with 1st Battalion 5th Marines took part in the earlier battle in April of that year. After each completed several combat deployments to Iraq, both were eventually forced out of the Marine Corps due to incomplete swim qualifications.

Jenkins said he came up with the idea while watching the news last week during his job tending bar at a local strip club. “Some **** on TV said that Al Qaeda had retaken Fallujah, and then showed pictures of them driving around waving their ****ty-ass flags,” Jenkins said. “Bull****! We paid for that city and we’re keeping it! It’d be like if we just gave Iwo Jima back to the Japanese.”

Wood added, “Yeah, plus you can’t level Fallujah to the ground without Marines present! It’s a tradition, like the blood stripe or rolled sleeves.”

After talking it over, the two put together a proposal on Kickstarter. Any donors pledging more than $25 will receive the ear of an insurgent, $100 gets the donor a randomly selected item from a captured cache of weapons, and over $500 will be a DVD of helmet cam footage. Finally, a special prize exists for a single donor who pledges more than $5000, namely the opportunity to join them in Fallujah and kill an Al Qaeda fighter themselves “using whatever method you choose.”

Jenkins and Wood said that after raising the $1300 they needed in just an hour, they’ve now added a stretch goal of $2500 to help them buy two Model 82A1 Barrett Sniper Rifles with enough ammunition to take out an entire mosque terrorist training camp.

While the U.S. government has denied any involvement, saying that any Americans who want to kill Iraqis had to be working for a properly-vetted contracting company first, their self-described “crusade” has been receiving support from a surprising direction: ISAF commander Gen. Joseph Dunford.

“In these lean times of austerity and furloughs, I’m pleased to see that even former Marines are still innovating both on and off the battlefield,” Dunford said when asked about the project.

He added that he was both surprised and moved by the outpouring of support for the two veterans and suggested he might send an infantry battalion from Afghanistan, “to join these fine fellows as they commemorate the anniversary of Fallujah the only way Marines know how: by killing every ****ing terrorist they can find in that piece of **** town.”

• Like 2

I'd believe that, US Marines always seem to be overly keyed up for action

Chinese authorities combat smog by deploying gigantic fake sunset.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/17/beijing_solution_to_smothering_smog_televised_sunsets/

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues