Dragon Age: Inquisition

What I've gathered is the PC will be the "first" Inquisitor. So it's basically that he or she s trying to reform them apart from the Chantry. I imagine Cassandra will be the one to suggest it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hm. Okay, see the thing I really liked about DA2 was the concept of you becoming this major city "lord & hero" and seeing how your choices would effect the city over time. Then the execution of those aspects kind of sucked.

Now I'm pondering if I should get excited about the possibilites behind the whole "character building up an organisation" and the choices and consequences that will evolve from that. Of course, that's somewhat dampened by wondering if they'll let it meander the weird way they did in DA2.

Heh, actually thinking about it, maybe that's the nostalgia of all those old AD&D campaigns of finally going from low to mid/high level where you suddenly got a keep and followers and that whole shift from purely "wandering adventurer" to actual responsibility and power and effecting the campaign world on a larger stage....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Seeing that this is a BW game and you're playing as an Inquisitor what can we expect relating to BSDM?

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/08/12/dragon-age-inquisition-s-morrigan-past-and-present.aspx

New Game Informer article, it's about Morrigan. First page is character history, second is what's in store for DA:I.

I'm confused about the design decision here. Why do I want to be an inquisitor? Inquisitions aren't nice things. In a best case scenario, I'm a "good inquisitor" - going around barging into people's lives to hang potentially murderous mages that are likely only interested in preserving their own freedom and well-being (becoming monsters only to do so). Granted, DA2 did well to demonize mages by giving them almost inhuman unsympathetic personalities, but the very existence of an inquisition breeds more "heresy". Wouldn't the "most good" option be to disband such an inquisition?

What's the motiviation for me to inquisite? We're not doing good here, we are in essence the antagonist, if we play the forming of an inquisition, instead of the conflict of forming one vs not forming one - but it seems like the formation is already decided with no input from us, the player?

Don't get me wrong, an inquisition sounds like a fun game mechanic, but in the context of roleplaying a character who might have any number of potential moralities... it's plain to see that an inquisition can easily do more harm than good. We are very much enemies in the eyes of the mages and it's hard to take this mage/templar conflict seriously given what damage DA2 did to making the mages seem human at all. Does BioWare expect us to treat mages like they are darkspawn, irredeemable evil insane ****? It's certainly more offensive to me than any lack of homosexual romance, or any other controversy. This comes in the political strife that is facing the world as of late, with our own kind of inquisition taking place - a cyber inquisition.

Edited by anubite
  • Like 1

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

You're not the Spanish Inquisition, tasked with finding heretics. You're tasked with stopping a war and putting an end to the crap going on with the veil.

• Like 1

Yes, but we're embroiled in a war with the mages, that was instigated by the events of DA2. Won't we be hunting heretic mages that are possessed/almost possessed by abominations?

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

The Inquisition is not the Templars. The Templars are fighting the Mages. The Inquisition may or may not view the war as petty bickering.

• Like 2

Just as a note, there is this: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inquisition

And yeah, there was some trepidation about using the name, since some will see connotations to the Spanish Inquisition.  Though personally I think the name fits, and it was actually pretty well received in focus testing with the most common concern being "Well, I can see how other people may have issue with it, but it doesn't bother me."

Edited by alanschu

Do you actually spend a good deal of time investigating what's going on or is it mostly build your order/gather allies?

The name makes me think the former but my experience with Bio games and what I've seen so far makes me think the latter.

Not that there is anything wrong with that as I've enjoyed it quite a bit in the past

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Everything I read makes it sound like the old formula. With talk about how you'll check out these side stories, like whatever the Grey Wardens are up to, sounding like hooks into gathering allies.

There's also the fact that they keep calling the mage things Circles, when there hasn't been any evidence of them being circular. In effect, I believe that they should be referred to as "squares" in honour of some of the people in this thread.

For ****'s sake!

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

lol yes, I agree, they should be called squares, I'm trying to think of a single mage we have met... oh, well, Wynn was alright, if a bit prudish at first.

Thank you for the clarification. So we aren't "inquisitors" in the historical sense, but "inquisitors" in a judicial sense. I guess that's okay, though maybe I was being hasty in disliking the "Inquisitor" idea. I mean, how many people have played Liberal Crime Squad? I'd be best friends with BioWare if they made 3 dimensional medieval version of that!

Edited by anubite

You're not the Spanish Inquisition, tasked with finding heretics. You're tasked with stopping a war and putting an end to the crap going on with the veil.

So, you're in fact, a Jedi.

*yawn* 

Next!

Me no wanna play if I can't burn heretics.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I look forward to seeing the only politically correct Inquisitor ever made.

Spanish Inquisitors were politicaly correct, as nobody was above of suspision, so they didn't discriminated against anybody and also nobody was too good for excessive interrogation.

• Like 1

That. I would love to play a game where you are the real deal. You could have some real hard choices like if you can't find the real heretics do you torture an innocent until he gives a fake confession or do you suffer consequences?

Edited by Malekith

That. I would love to play a game where you are the real deal. You could have some real hard choices like if you can't find the real heretics do you torture an innocent until he gives a fake confession or do you suffer consequences?

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/241620/

At all your favorite digital distributors.

• Like 1

My theory is that the PC is called the Inquisitor because he keeps asking too many questions. I think Bioware found "inquiry" or something in a dictionary, but decided it wasn't epic enough and came up with Inquisitor.

Oh man, now I really want a Fable style choose your title system.

I'd pick The Inquirer.

• Like 1

At the end, there's a section with a number of links. If you could add 'Dragon Age: Inquisition Coverage - Trailer' and 'A Look Inside Development - Video' to that list, I'd appreciate it.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind ;)

Added them to the original thread as well as updated the first post of this thread (because experience has taught us that people are lazy buggers and two links are on too many to have to click)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/241620/

At all your favorite digital distributors.

And it's isometric on top of that!!! :wub:  :wub: :wub:  

Thanks a lot.

Pity the gameplay seems closer to Diablo than IE.

Edited by Malekith