What you did today

Pidesco

Cleaned the freezer. Apparently, a diet soda (vs. a sugar soda) can explode, if left forgotten in there for at least 8+ hours.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Cleaned the freezer. Apparently, a diet soda (vs. a sugar soda) can explode, if left forgotten in there for at least 8+ hours.

:lol:

Happened to me once a long time ago. It was outdoors though, not in my freezer. Forgot a bottle I had stuck in the snow (to free up my hands for a moment, fiddling with keys) and then forgot about it (leaving it outdoors) until the day after.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sorry everyone else, only Shady & I would realize why that second part is funny.

I think I understand this part. There is no water in the Marine Corps and its good to drink loads of water before joining so you don't get thirsty during your 3 month training in Boot Camp?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sorry everyone else, only Shady & I would realize why that second part is funny.

I think I understand this part. There is no water in the Marine Corps and its good to drink loads of water before joining so you don't get thirsty during your 3 month training in Boot Camp?

Maybe it's so they'll make an adorable 'sloshing' sound as they run, and the instructors won't pick on them so much.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Maybe it's so they'll make an adorable 'sloshing' sound as they run, and the instructors won't pick on them so much.

On further reflection that makes more sense :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Switched on the pc and was puzzled. All my windows theme/desktop settings have shifted overnight. It can't seem to make up it's mind if it's got a graphics card installed. And any right click I make leaves it chundering for about 30-50 seconds before I get a whiff of a menu appearing..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

First day back at work after my luxurious one week + one day summer holiday, during which the office only called me six times. Blood pressure's through the roof again and in general finding the countryside, the people and their petty problems (not petty as in not big enough for me... they're just petty) a colossal pain in the backside. Really feeling the salary hit I took starting here, and it's compounded by the heightened travel costs for weekend trips back home. F.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

First day back at work after my luxurious one week + one day summer holiday, during which the office only called me six times. Blood pressure's through the roof again and in general finding the countryside, the people and their petty problems (not petty as in not big enough for me... they're just petty) a colossal pain in the backside. Really feeling the salary hit I took starting here, and it's compounded by the heightened travel costs for weekend trips back home. F.

Dial down your IQ by ten points. I've been experimenting with this today. it does wonders.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Personally I could never live in the countryside for the reasons you mentioned. I would move back to Helsinki, or another big city, if you can.

You tried something different but its time to accept big cities rock !!!

John Milton 

I regret not taking my birthday off work. Though..a Tuesday off by itself is pretty awkward (our vacation days are the same as our sick days, so I try to not use them on a whim, at least until the fall).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Happy Birthday Malcador!!!!

Joining the military was also the smartest decision Ive ever made. I was in the same position; only a HS education, working as a dishwasher with no future in sight. Joined the Navy and they housed, fed and educated me while taking me around the world twice. I sometimes wish I could go back and do it all again.

I regret not taking my birthday off work. Though..a Tuesday off by itself is pretty awkward (our vacation days are the same as our sick days, so I try to not use them on a whim, at least until the fall).

Happy B-day Malc :)

John Milton 

Happy Birthday Malcador!!!!

Joining the military was also the smartest decision Ive ever made. I was in the same position; only a HS education, working as a dishwasher with no future in sight. Joined the Navy and they housed, fed and educated me while taking me around the world twice. I sometimes wish I could go back and do it all again.

What kind of ship did you serve on ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Today I have the day off, so I intend to hang out and drink.

Happy b-day Malc, enjoy the creeping entropy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Happy Birthday Malcador.  I didn't get my birthday off this year either.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Was reading that Willie May's wife had died some months back. My father used to talk to him a fair bit, seeing him while taking a "walk" in his electric wheelchair after having his lunch. My father was always good at making friends with the neighbors - it was one of the few social lifelines left to him, chatting with people he'd meet during the few hours he could be out of bed per day.

I only met Willie Mays once, when I went along during one of dad's neighborhood routes. Mostly, I just got to hear the stories/convos that dad would tell mother and I during dinner. In general, my father's gregarious nature and uplifted spirit created an interesting and eclectic circle of friends even when he was largely housebound. And they'd always make time for my father - some even waited out in their yards, expecting him to ride by, while still others would call my mother if he didn't show up, to make sure my dad was ok. We weren't at all close in later years, but he was an interesting and inspiring man, and he knew how to tell a story. And right this second....I miss my father.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just plugging away at work, but LadyCrimson, your story about your father and Willie Mays is quite moving and endearing. Thanks for sharing! :) 

I miss my father too, and that while he's still living and breathing. Unfortunately, his mind and body are more or less gone, so he's a shell of his former self.

Oh, and happy birthday, Malcador!

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Both of my sea duty tours were on carriers, CVN-65 USS Enterprise and CVN-72 USS Abraham Lincoln. Thank god I wasn't on one of the small boys (destroyers, cruisers). We used to stand in the hanger bay and watch them get tossed around by the ocean while we barely felt anything.

Thanks, everyone. Ah cool, Gifted1, every time I've seen a USN member post online they've always served on some less glorious ship like a tanker or frigate or something :lol: Well except for that one guy in WoW that thought because he was a CAT technician on a carrier he somehow had intricate knowledge of aerodynamics.

Both of my sea duty tours were on carriers, CVN-65 USS Enterprise and CVN-72 USS Abraham Lincoln. Thank god I wasn't on one of the small boys (destroyers, cruisers). We used to stand in the hanger bay and watch them get tossed around by the ocean while we barely felt anything.

You missed out! Gator Freighters baby, that's the REAL Navy. Those carriers of your are bigger than the town I grew up in. You could get lost on one of them. No one ever got lost on an Amphib! The only ship where Marines outnumber sailors (and we let them know) OOORAH!

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Happy Birthday Mal!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Happy Birthday Malc!

I'm back at work today.  I don't have to report until tomorrow, but I wanted to get some stuff done in the classroom.  I also needed a day off from taking care of the kids, as bad as that sounds :p

I plan on cutting out early and going to see Elysium.