What you did today

Pidesco

Rented a Blu-Ray movie from redbox, saw that it said "DVD video" on the disc and called them. They gave me a couple promo codes.

Finally pop it in the player and it's actually a Blu-Ray. So, that's weird, it has the DVD label but it is really a Blu-Ray. Free movies!

Addendum: Southern Comfort Cherry is incredible.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

*scribbles note to self about how to get free stuff from Redbox* ;)

...I stayed up way too late, fiddling with NW:online stuff. Namely, doing the longlong questline to get the free backpack bag for a couple alts. *yawn* Guess I'll take a nap, then spend time fiddling in BL2 with the spouse. And then ... Breaking Bad! I'm ready to see Hank go ballistic, or all Columbo-sneaky/snarky, or go into deep, deep denial. Whichever...yeehaw!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Got a call from my former employee. Working on Wednesday and Friday. We'll see if I can get another year of work with them. If it doesn't happen, I have been thinking about starting my own business that has absolutely nothing to do with schools or children.

Well, I'm able to walk better again, but my apartment (new one) is still a disaster and my sunburn is not helpful in any way shape or form.

Beyond that I'm in this weird spot where I have to keep reminding my new boss that "Hey, I need a day off!" I don't do enough hours to get overtime/full time, but she still schedules me every single day unless I yell at her about it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well, I'm able to walk better again, but my apartment (new one) is still a disaster and my sunburn is not helpful in any way shape or form.

Beyond that I'm in this weird spot where I have to keep reminding my new boss that "Hey, I need a day off!" I don't do enough hours to get overtime/full time, but she still schedules me every single day unless I yell at her about it.

Well, at least she has confidence in you. She obviously wants you fronting the business every chance she can get.

~

Partly inspired by Guard Dog I agreed to having my ex come to visit. Neither of us are in the market for anything serious, but there's a hugely relaxing aspect to having someone from long ago come to visit. It's like, you've fought like banshees, and got all sweaty together, and consequently all the lies, and all the politics, and all the false modesty just gets chucked in the bin. You can just say "My feet hurt" and all that means is - give my feet a rub.

Having said that it is still kind of cool, because you can also be very decorous and almost more romantic, without worrying about going too far and freaking anyone out.

But it is also kind of sad. Because frankly age is starting to take its toll. You can ignore lines on your own face, but not on someone you are smiling at. :lol:

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I took advantage of some gorgeous weather and went for the longest bike ride I've been on so far this year.  About 30 miles in approximately 2 hours, including 5 significant climbs, at least 3 of which would be categorized climbs in a professional cycling race.  Good times.

bike.gif

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Stella Polaris, electronic party in the old royal garden - it's pretty badass to have the old royal mansion (now used for officer training) and the trimmed hedges/gardens/lakes and trees as backdrop to modern electronic music.

ra5r.jpg

Unfortunately it was a little too "family friendly" for my taste - and as always, too many people .. but that's the blessing and curse of big cities.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

I think I'm going to sit back and enjoy a healthy amount of stout today.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Stella Polaris, electronic party in the old royal garden - it's pretty badass to have the old royal mansion (now used for officer training) and the trimmed hedges/gardens/lakes and trees as backdrop to modern electronic music.

ra5r.jpg

Unfortunately it was a little too "family friendly" for my taste - and as always, too many people .. but that's the blessing and curse of big cities.

I think there's something wrong with me because all I thought, looking at that was "I wonder how much baby poop is now in those hedges"

~

Misread headline from the BBC. "Escaped Cow's Head for Housing Estate."

More correctly should have read "Escaped Cows Head For Housing Estate"

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Is that just me?

Weren't you one of the married ones?

Seriously tempted to post the old Wifespeak -> Plain English translation :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Modem and router got power cycled due to sister fumbling with cables, suddenly the router failed to work with the modem. Managed to put the router in DHCP mode to the modem and then chuck it in the DMZ, so I -think- it is alright now (not sharp in this area) but still confusing how the problem even occurred in the first place.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Laundry & Lawn cuttting on the Roost and some random Bot-squishing. So far, so good!

I'm trying to imagine a giant, scaly green dragon doing laundry. Probably would do the ironing well, tho ... built-in steam! :biggrin:

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The cat has to go to the vet today. His good eye is all swollen and he can't seem to open it.. which means he's basically blind at the moment.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

As a follow-on to my day, got a nice external harddrive delivered so I could do some serious backup of my PC.

Now have just spent an hour and a half making attempts at backups that keep failing in the last 5 minutes due to "i/o errors".. >_<

Laundry & Lawn cuttting on the Roost and some random Bot-squishing. So far, so good!

I'm trying to imagine a giant, scaly green dragon doing laundry. Probably would do the ironing well, tho ... built-in steam! :biggrin:

Reminds me of an old WoW joke about what the raid boss is doing on his off time : walk around dungeon, make lunch, make speech to minions, sort his loot table for the night's work, etc. :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So I broke it off with the 2/3 of my age year old - or rather it kinda fizzled on it's on to be precise.. You guys were right.

Man I need to meet someone interesting soon..

Fortune favors the bald.

So I broke it off with the 2/3 of my age year old - or rather it kinda fizzled on it's on to be precise.. You guys were right.

Man I need to meet someone interesting soon..

You were the one who was supposed to take me to the bar full of tattooed economist chicks. That shouldn't be a problem for you. :p

I've decided I can compromise a bit, tbh. They don't have to be tattooed.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I had a long talk with my nephew today. I feel bad for that poor guy. He had a college scholarship to play baseball but gave it up when he was drafted by the Astros. And he wasn't even a high draft pick, they took him in the 22nd round or something like that so his chances of advancing were pretty slim. Anyway he played two years in the minors before they released him. He never got past rookie ball in Greeneville. So he tried playing for an Indy league team in Las Cruces but that didn't work. So now he's working in Target part time and taking classes at a community college.

He was thinking about joining the Marine Corps and wanted to talk to me about it. I told him it was the smartest thing he could do. Well, joining the military at least. I asked him why he wanted the Marines and he really didn't have an answer. I told him to check out the other services first before making a decision. The Marines are not an easy branch to be in. It's small, promotions are slow, life is... more difficult than the other branches. You have to have a high BS tolerance to succeed there. It's a game, and you have to play it. And you have to want it. You have to want to be there or you will be miserable.

Anyway he asked a lot of questions that were all related to Boot Camp. I told him not to worry about that. Half of what he heard isn't true. It's not much fun but it's only three months long. I said to him he'd be in the Corps for at least three years and nine months after that, he had best find out what that is like.

Best advice I could give anyway. I couldn't imagine being 21 with no money, no education beyond HS and few prospects.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's tough GD, but I hope he can look back on those two years with no regrets, not many people get to even play at that level.  In 20 years he probably won't regret getting a bit of a late start on adulthood.  Also the military is still a great way to help pay for an education if he wants that.  

Heh, wait until you have to drop out of your final year of university to look after a disabled mother. a decade on and you really look at your cv and go "oh crap."

It's all about pulling yourself up and throwing yourself forward... As long as you don't give up and fall into a small heap in the floor to cry.. :aiee:

I tried the military before i was too old. Bastard medical board caught me because my left eye was too short sighted. My right eye made the grade, but my left eye let me down...

But I did pick up a whole bunch of amusing stories from those potential officer visits they do with the British Army regiments here..

I completely agree. That is one thing I would do over again. Not many decisions I would say that about. But like I told my nephew, you have to want it.

You'll appreciate this though Shady. He asked what the best way to get in shape for boot camp is and I told him to run, run some more, then run more after that. And practice drinking LOTS of water. :lol:

Sorry everyone else, only Shady & I would realize why that second part is funny.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell