Gorth

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

If someone gets confused by that poor attempt at a joke then they deserve to get confused.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yes because they'd have to stick it on a separate bus, but not anywhere near making up the difference.

I'm well aware of the technical differences.  I'm not aware of the cost differences.  Are you aware of the cost differences, and any other factors that may have been considered with the choice?

They designed the OS for 4GB, it wasn't using 3.5GB before they decided to double it, this clearly wasn't part of the plans even up until relatively recently.

Maybe they're reserving the space for OS because it allows them to extend the OS further later in development?  (which is impossible if they don't restrict it now).

I'm still unsure where are you coming from, defending Stalin or refusing to believe anyone can be worse than Hitler, or what  :huh: 

They both were monsters causing horrifying amounts of misery and death. If you disagree with me on something please do say so, I do welcome different points of view. Via PM if you dont want to discuss about it here.

Stalin was a pretty cool guy. Even agfter 70+ years after his death he still can successfully produce a legendary butthurt in baltic states and other people, who learn history by Discovery channel, movies and cartoons.

• Like 1

MzpydUh.gif

Yeah, it's a shame that they don't get their history learned by the glorious historians at pravda, always vigilantly working for the proletariat.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Now on to real news. Ouya, being a product of scamstarter, is a complete failure: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/26/ouya-ceo-27-percent-of-ouya-owners-have-bought-a-game/

That looks more like the Ouya developers are the failures, not the Ouya itself.  Isn't it also not fully released yet?

It's been released for over a month. I think dev kits have been out for about 6 months. Developers haven't been as enthusiastic as one would hope, most games are really lazy ports from mobile and tablets that don't even run well. Android as a platform for game development isn't that great, so ports from consoles and PC aren't happening. Ouya is pumping money into ports and is pledging to match KickStarter funding for Ouya exclusives. Developers are saying that it's months of work to port or write games for Ouya that are not already on Android, and it's just not worth the time with these sales figures.

so fez II is done, one of the game devs walked out throwing a hissy fit

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

so fez II is done, one of the game devs walked out throwing a hissy fit

There's only two developers at the company, so it's a pretty hefty loss of labor.

Fish is upset about the abuse he's been getting on Twitter. It came to head because of comments from someone on Gametrailers that was, as I've gathered, criticizing him for not commenting on a rumor about the Xbone's policy change.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

timeline of the Fez debacle http://imgur.com/a/31YZp

looks like a burnout to me. Maybe he'll go back on this once he's cooled down.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I wonder if this is a publicity stunt.

Or an excuse to tweet more often.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

THat timeline is a bit lacking, unfortunately.  Is there an article that is a bit more descriptive of what happened?

http://kotaku.com/twitter-blowup-leads-to-sudden-cancellation-of-fez-ii-934548588

Essentially some game journos asked Fish and Blow what they thought about the new Xbox's recently announced indie policy and they told them to **** off and stop asking them for quotes every time something indie related pops up in the news.

In response Marcus Beer called Fish and Blow out by saying that one of the reasons those two are so successful is because game journos give a lot of exposure to their work (Fez and Braid), and that when their next games come out (Fez 2 and The Witness) they're no doubt to be going to every journalist on the planet asking for airtime to shill their . As such Fish and Blow should realize that it's a two way street and that they should at least make the attempt to give something back when asked.

In response to THAT Fish went postal on twitter demanding an apology while simultaneously calling Beer a leech, parasite, etc. and telling him to go kill himself.

Then he canceled his game.

Yeah I ended up finding that link.  A lot of comments indicate that Beer (and fans in general) may have been giving Fish the gears somewhat throughout the year as well.  Sounds like Fish had some controversial opinions regarding things like games out of Japan and the like.

I find it interesting, however, that Beer effectively states (in the video anyways) that gaming journalists should skip on "shilling" games from Fish and Blow because they refuse to answer those questions.  Not sure that really paints Beer in a much better light, however.  It's not what I would expect from gaming journalists, and figure that on some level game journalism got caught up on Fez and Braid because they were high quality games, as opposed to the litany of other independent games that go relatively unnoticed.

Edited by alanschu

I'm not gonna say that some of the things that are said at Fish aren't excessive, but he really does bring all of it on himself. Indie devs (even crappy ones) are treated like veritable gods by the gaming community so to get hated on as much as Fish does you have to be a real piece of work. Hell, if a Bioware (or any other AAA company) dev said even once the things that Fish says on a daily basis they would be crucified, stoned to death, and universally condemned, but Fish on the other hand STILL has people defending him.

As for Beer: he could have phrased it better, but what he said was true. You can't expect to take and take and take while giving nothing back in return, and at the end of the day it was the gaming media that turned Fish and Blow into the millionaires they are today (there are plenty other indie games out there which are just as good if not better and yet have barely turned a profit because of a lack of exposure) so the the least they could do is toss them back a quote now and then.

As for Beer: he could have phrased it better, but what he said was true. You can't expect to take and take and take while giving nothing back in return, and at the end of the day it was the gaming media that turned Fish and Blow into the millionaires they are today (there are plenty other indie games out there which are just as good if not better and yet have barely turned a profit because of a lack of exposure) so the the least they could do is toss them back a quote now and then.

The problem I had with Beer is he was basically saying "It's because we hyped up your game that it was so successful."  Marketing is important, sure, but it'd be interesting to see every other game journalist site continue coverage of Blow and Fish's games, while he upheld his principles.

He's basically admitting the lack of integrity of the gaming journalism scene, which is disheartening.  On his twitter, he has straight up stated "I would have been happy with no comment" so it is clearly not the lack of information that he received, but he's effectively paying it forward because he felt the response was rude, and as such he should deny information about a game that readers are presumably interested in because he had his feelings hurt.

Perhaps Beer "brought it on himself" as well?

If there are better indie games that should have been covered, perhaps he should have covered those ones instead.

I would have thought the only reason to hype up a game is because of its quality. Not a back and forth exchange of favours. That's what games journalists do, report on games. A developer doesn't owe them anything for doing their job. Though of course having a good relationship is beneficial to both and Fish isn't helping himself by being so unstable.

Yeah I'm stupidly jacked up for Rome as well.  So much so that it'll probably be the first game in a looong time that I'll be disappointed with on release! (simply due to high excitement/expectations haha)

I actually completed at least one campaign for Shogun 2 and each of its DLCs, which is pretty uncharacteristic for me in Total War games.  Rise of the Samurai was even a "full" campaign (conquer the entirety of Japan).

Although I find I play strategy games less for their "completion."  I have never "finished" a game of Crusader Kings II, but that's because the game doesn't really have an endpoint aside from "the calendar stops at this date."

I can't get excited about a Total War game anymore because I know I'll never finish it so why even bother?

You can play a shorter campaign with limited win conditions. I have old Medieval 2 games saved now from 2010 that I play a few turns of now and then!

sonsofgygax.JPG