Fear of women body in modern videogames

Waa waa, mrkreku has to share with girls  :rolleyes:

The point he is making is that they got to "share" through no effort of their own.

Mmh, there's a big thing going on where women are supposed to have a certain quota on the boards of listed companies. Note, just listed companies - the one's that have been so successful that they've been listen on the stock exchange. Not all companies, just the really successful ones. After all, who'd care about risk? :p

It's the cherry picking that gets under my skin.

(later reply, I know)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Welcoem to the internet - where verything and everything will be turned into a massive social issue and people will fight over it like petulant children.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Any discussion of armour in fantasy games is pointless as long as there are monks fighting bare-chested.

Which is why I hate monks as a class.

Welcoem to the internet - where verything and everything will be turned into a massive social issue and people will fight over it like petulant children.

No Trashman you misunderstand, no one forces anyone to partake in debates over social issues. This is freedom of choice and clearly people want to discuss these topics. I see this as one of the great benefits of the Internet :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I see you already have your armor on

Always. And thus a dillema.

If you are fightign for tolerance but are intolerant of anyone who isnt' as tolerant as you...you aren't really tolerant, are you?

Hence why, if I'm "fighting" agaisnt such pointless debates by poisting in such a debate... which is another complaint in itself....am I really fighting it?

We_need_to_go_derper.jpg

Always.

Too white :p

If you are fightign for tolerance but are intolerant of anyone who isnt' as tolerant as you...you aren't really tolerant, are you?

Hence why, if I'm "fighting" agaisnt such pointless debates by poisting in such a debate... which is another complaint in itself....am I really fighting it?

I consider to be fighting against bad reasoning, bad logic and bad arguments

Monks bare chested is just fighting with meta armour. Don't get hit, no problem.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Monks bare chested is just fighting with meta armour. Don't get hit, no problem.

Monks are too sexy for their shirt, too sexy for their shirt, so sexy it hurts.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Just remainder how sexy old-school DnD are.  It's not boring Medieval historical reconstruction, its Fantasy, imagination, not limited by taboo of conformist society. 

dungeons.jpgerinyes.jpg

tumblr_mgmkjlBi4S1ro2bqto1_1280.jpg

morganironwolf.jpgdnd%20old%20tieflings.jpg

Dragon's Crown have most true old-school RPG style  in video games ever.

http://youtu.be/MVmq2dNzOG4

Maybe some religious daddies have butthurt from this style, or conservative retrogrades find this game not realistic, but it's not problem of RPG/Fantasy fans.

Go be boring/religious somewhere else.

31080938.jpg

• Like 1

Just remainder how sexy old-school DnD are.  It's not boring Medieval historical reconstruction, its Fantasy, imagination, not limited by taboo of conformist society. 

Maybe some religious daddies have butthurt from this style, or conservative retrogrades find this game not realistic, but it's not problem of RPG/Fantasy fans.

Go be boring/religious somewhere else.

31080938.jpg

Obyknven - demonstrating how you don't need religion to be a fanatic nutjob since 10 Mar 2013.

• Like 3

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I must say I wouldn't mind being in a dungeon and running into that lady chained up, she would probably be rather grateful to be freed :sweat:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I must say I wouldn't mind being in a dungeon and running into that lady chained up, she would probably be rather grateful to be freed  :sweat:

admiral_ackbar_says_its_a_trap.jpg

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

But Tagaziel this discussion shouldn't be only be about what's realistic in respects to armour. Aesthetics has to come into it. I agree that the female character representation in Dragon Crown is ridiculous and I'm not suggesting PE follows  that route at all, but I really think Cadegund looks like a walking tin can and also isn't suitable for how I want my female  party members to look. We need to find a happy medium and for me that middle ground is an Isabella type person?

How the heck is Isabella a "middle-ground"? That lady doesn't even wear pants! She's firmly on the scantily-clad side, and proud of it!

A nice middle-ground would be the god-like from a while back, who had an armor with definitely more 'curves' than what I've seen on male characters or Cadegund.

A trend that is not as prevalent as you may think, specially in the west, the RPGs I've played like Dragon Age or Fallout are really toned down, I even have a Sith Inquisitor in Star Wars: The Old Republic and she doesn't show an inch of skin.

Dragon Age? Seriously? Leliana's leather armor had cleavage!

I consider to be fighting against bad reasoning, bad logic and bad arguments

Ah! Same here. Edited by Sannom

How the heck is Isabella a "middle-ground"? That lady doesn't even wear pants! She's firmly on the scantily-clad side, and proud of it!

:grin:

Well she doesn't look anything like the ladies of Dragon Crown. Isn't that an improvement?

John Milton 

She seems dirtier and hangs around in  a ship surrounded by seamen.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

She seems dirtier and hangs around in  a ship surrounded by seamen.

:biggrin: Clever

John Milton 

Well she doesn't look anything like the ladies of Dragon Crown. Isn't that an improvement?

Well, yeah, but that does not make her middle-ground. I mean, you can't compare Cadegund and Isabella, the former wears heavy armor that covers her whole body, the latter mainly protects her upper body with a leather vest, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Let's stay on Dragon Age 2 but instead look at Aveline : Cadegund's armor is definitely more stylised and curved than what Aveline wears. In that respect, Cadegund is a middle ground between the ridicule of the boob-plate and the look of Aveline in her heavy armor.

A trend that is not as prevalent as you may think, specially in the west, the RPGs I've played like Dragon Age or Fallout are really toned down, I even have a Sith Inquisitor in Star Wars: The Old Republic and she doesn't show an inch of skin.

Dragon Age? Seriously? Leliana's leather armor had cleavage!

Oh no! The patriarchy strikes again!

Well, yeah, but that does not make her middle-ground. I mean, you can't compare Cadegund and Isabella, the former wears heavy armor that covers her whole body, the latter mainly protects her upper body with a leather vest, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Let's stay on Dragon Age 2 but instead look at Aveline : Cadegund's armor is definitely more stylised and curved than what Aveline wears. In that respect, Cadegund is a middle ground between the ridicule of the boob-plate and the look of Aveline in her heavy armor.

I hear you but the issue with Cadegund is that she just doesn't look good, this may sound irrelevant but I don't think it is. I can't think of  anything worse than all my female members looking like her. Of course this won't be case as it depends on the class. Also going back to Isabela, what was her class? Pirate..so was she combination of a rogue and fighter with her fighting style. Heavy armour wouldn't have been appropriate for her so I still think her attire was suitable.

I really don't want to compromise aesthetics for reality as far as armour is concerned in PE. I feel that would be a huge mistake.

John Milton 

No man, you're the one that keeps missing the point, I brought up violence in video games because there's no evidence that it causes violence in real life, the same way there's no evidence that having eye candy characters, male of female, causes any sort of harm, and with no evidence of harm you don't have a case to protest this so called trend.

It's interesting that you try to compare an easily falsifiable thesis to something that's much more subtle and hard to track. By your logic, the problem doesn't exist and there are no chauvinist male gamers. Yet there are plenty of them and the problem is very much real, ranging from reducing female characters to eye candy (strange how very few male characters are ever reduced to that position) or placing them firmly in gender-typical roles.

If "show off the biggest possible amount of skin at the expense of all logic and reason" means having a cleavege, then no, that's no objectifiacion, unless you want to redefine the word.

Did I say that?

Wait, let me check.

No, I did not.

You're talking about this? If this image is offensive to you there is absolutely no chance of reaching a middle ground in this conversation

And yet another straw man. Did I say it was offensive? No, I did not. The point was that the reduction of breast size improved Elizabeth as a character by reducing the overt sexualization of the character.

I never said that, but hey I see that you like to use straw man after straw man and put words in my mouth, I don't know what Rapelay is but as far as fighting games are concerned all characters are treated equally, nobody is putting women down, you have to beat the crap out of everyone all the same, and there's a ton of men shirtless or "showing off the biggest possible amount of skin at the expense of all logic and reason" but I guess you're not gonna complain about those.

Because men aren't sexualized like women are? It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Man... the hyperbole is strong with this one, talk about "logic and reason" when you have zero evidence to support your case.

All I have to do is open YouTube comments, random video game forums, or just read the reactions to Kim Kardashian's work.

• Like 1