Fear of women body in modern videogames

Dragons_Crown_Header.jpg
Western fear of boobs in videogames  make my displeased. Dragon's Crown become victim of Kotaku's criticism,  Obsidian ban boobplates in Project Eternity, UK and Australia ban  Pamella Anderson advertising.  Guys, do you are really so mad?  Human body for you too much sexist? Maybe it's good time to ban womens breasts, let's force them to amputate this vessels of sin. Maybe someone think this witch-hunt against human nature is progressive and feminist thing, but IRL feminists have noting against women's (and men's also) body. Something rotten in modern European/American culture.

old game screenshot's for comparison. 

98301-deliverance-stormlord-ii-amiga-scr98294-deliverance-stormlord-ii-amiga-scr

And Planecape Torment  too

towniefemaleangry.jpgtownieupperclassfemale.jpgAnnah_Front_%26_Back.jpg

and now

image-163777-full.jpg?1348795914

It's sadly, but Obsidian become too conformist and mainstream for me now.

• Like 1

I am on your side but on these forums you will only find that people here thinks practical > sexy

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Oby for once I agree with you on a topic.

I am a huge supporter of the aesthetics of the female form and how it adds to a game. So I hope we see more Isabella type female characters in PE than Cadegund who I find boring.

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

We like our female video games-characters for their inner beauty, mister! 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The inner beauty hidden between their large boobs.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Besides, female body features represses the female characters, didn't you get the memo?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Looking good isn't only about showing boobs, you know.

Besides, I think Cadegund looks sexy. The boob plate was kinda ridiculous (always is, in any game).

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

PE was going for realistic, boob plate guides weapons to vital areas rather than deflecting them, hence unrealistic. If it suited the style of the game then that's fine, nut it doesn't.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think it's less a fear of boobs and more a better grounding in reality and respect.  It's likely also symptomatic of gaming demographics changing.

I hear what you are saying Alan but do you really think that the outfits of  characters like Viconia and Isabella are disrespectful to women?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Shouldn't you be waging an Internet Cold War in off-topic Oby?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I find a bloke posing as a female pro-Putin feminist creepier than I can possibly express.

EDIT: It's like being a transvestite, but without the physical courage.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Isn't this covered by one of those irritating immortal threads in the PE subforum ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm perfectly fine with the art of Dragon's Crown.  Looking forward to the game.

I'm perfectly fine with the art of Project: Eternity.  Looking forward to the game.

I see no inconsistency here; different approaches by different developers making different games.

• Like 6

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Isn't this covered by one of those irritating immortal threads in the PE subforum ?

Irritating immortal threads that somehow you still find the time to read hey Malc?  :p

John Milton 

Irritating immortal threads that somehow you still find the time to read hey Malc?  :p

Given the interval of my reading of that forum teeters on months, not indicative of much. I assume the romance one is still going as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Given the interval of my reading of that forum teeters on months, not indicative of much. I assume the romance one is still going as well.

Yip, the Romance\Sex thread is seeing a little revival at the moment :)

John Milton 

Uhh... not showing boobs is mainstream now?

I half agree with this. I very much enjoy seeing the droplets of sweat on a hot and steamy woman's heaving  sweater meat, yet I do not enjoy a game developer banging me over the head with a pair of boobs and a pretty face that is obviously only there for the fap fantasies.

So - yes to sexy whenever it fits in context (i.e. many fantasy games serve as wish fullfillment, idealized bodies and tight outfits are a bit of a prerequisite), no to blatant objectification. The problem is a lot of people don't seem to know the difference and just go "boobs? sexism!"

INB4 "MISANDRY MISANDRY"

Edited by TrueNeutral

Straw legions rise. Also, good God, that romance thread is still around.

Edited by Malcador

But what about dudes showing off package?

87992-004-9307AAD1.jpg

Notice the unflattering baggy pants, how are we supposed to see his (impressive?) package in those?

project-eternity-art22.jpeg

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

But what about dudes showing off package?

87992-004-9307AAD1.jpg

Notice the unflattering baggy pants, how are we supposed to see his (impressive?) package in those?

project-eternity-art22.jpeg

:grin:  Valid point

John Milton 

He's not the main character, though. The main characters will have an amaaaaaaaaaaaazing package to deliver to all his fine wenches.

Oh dear, they're making you do fetch quests ?!

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 3