Fear of women body in modern videogames

I don't know about you but whenever I heard to word privilged I thought of someone that's very rich, it looks like in 2013 beign a man means you're automatically privilged, lucky us.

That is a narrow definition of the word "priviliged [sic]"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/privilege

Being born rich can be construed as a privilege.  A synonym for privilege, on the same link, is:

Privilege, prerogative refer to a special advantage or right possessed by an individual or group. A privilege is a right or advantage gained by birth, social position, effort, or concession. It can have either legal or personal sanction

Privilege can be equated to advantage.  "white male privilege" doesn't mean "white men are rich" but the idea that being a white male can afford a person advantages in life.  Being rich is certainly an advantage, but it's not the sole requirement of whether or not someone has special privileges.  Your welcome to disagree with the idea, but it's important to actually understand what is conveyed with the term.

Being privileged doesn't mean something is even necessarily wrong.  It's can simply be an advantage.  I love basketball, but as a 6'0" player that is not particularly gifted in athleticism, my teenage dreams of NBA success were disadvantaged.  The 6'6" player, even possessing the same level of skill as myself, will receive greater consideration based purely on his genetics.  He's taller, and height does grant an advantage in basketball.

Also, it's funny how they go on like 20 minutes on how you can have an homosexual couple (which is fine, nothing wrong with some suprise buttsex) But if you want developers make attractive female characters for heterosexual men (which are 90% of them), well that's a ****ing crime now.

First, the parenthetical remark is inappropriate, and undermines your stated acceptance of being okay with the scenario.  Being homosexual does not mean "surprise buttsex" especially considering that two women in a relationship are also homosexual.  Further, in a game about family lineage, discussing (hardly 20 minutes worth....) how a homosexual couple will impact the game is a bit more impactful than "is the person attractive?"  A homosexual couple cannot combined their genes into a child.  How will the game respond to that?  As for whether or not females (or males) are attractive, from a gameplay perspective, there's no need to even actually display a graphic at all.

Edited by alanschu

Before you reply Chaz you must know that alan works at Bioware and they hold "surprise buttsex" very close to their hearts.

So stop being "inappropriate" before you incur the wrath of the BSN hive mind. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I don't know about you but whenever I heard to word privilged I thought of someone that's very rich, it looks like in 2013 beign a man means you're automatically privilged, lucky us.

Coming from a country where 'privileges' were written in the law at some point, perhaps? I know it took me a little while to get used to the 'modern' use of the word after having been taught that the 'abolition of privileges' was one of the many things done when my country brought down the monarchy.

Before you reply Chaz you must know that alan works at Bioware and they hold "surprise buttsex" very close to their hearts.

You're probably being sarcastic, so sorry for this : I really don't think you need to be very sensitive or 'learned' to realize how that remark undermines Chaz's whole argument. Of course, he's a troll, so he doesn't care, but still.

It does undermine his argument, but the argument on the whole is relatively correct. The anti-male (generally only white males) shtick so popular in today's media does go hand in hand with the whole pro-gay thing.

Chaz, or any of us, are perfectly entitled to liking big breasted bombshells in our games (if we so choose) and not to be criticized for that choice...

...and at the same time to be unimpressed and uninterested when anyone espouses the virtues of having homosexual relationships in their games. Its not like someone is likely to push you into a gay bar in real life, unless you want to go there yourself. So if you're not into that you can't but be annoyed that someone is pointing that out as a virtue of a game you might otherwise want to play.

In short: you can sell a banana all you want but don't criticize me for liking melons. And not wanting your banana.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

It does undermine his argument, but the argument on the whole is relatively correct. The anti-male (generally only white males) shtick so popular in today's media does go hand in hand with the whole pro-gay thing.

The reason why it appears "so popular" is because, for a change, we're feeling the other side of the coin... a perspective we aren't used to seeing.

It doesn't bother me.  It doesn't need to bother you.

You can go all Bill O'Reilly and lament that "the white establishment is now the minority" but frankly even if that is true (and I have no information on whether or not it is), I don't care.  I don't believe that it will lead to me being oppressed.  I don't believe that having increased disparity in female (and male) representations, both in terms of sexuality/attractiveness and even racially.

Chaz, or any of us, are perfectly entitled to liking big breasted bombshells in our games (if we so choose) and not to be criticized for that choice...

...and at the same time to be unimpressed and uninterested when anyone espouses the virtues of having homosexual relationships in their games.

It's fine to be unimpressed.  When you equate it to "surprise buttsex," it tells me you're afraid.  If you didn't care, it wouldn't bother you.  Yet it does, so you must care.  Evidently adding it isn't for your benefit.

You're perfectly entitled to liking big breasted bombshells.  I'm perfectly entitled to judge you on it, just as you judge me (and evidently my company) for doing stuff you disagree with.  I'm entitled, as you are (and have been doing) to share such distaste.

Equating Massive Chalice having gay relationships as "surprise buttsex" is perceived as a criticism, so I actually put forth that you not only are okay with said criticisms, you feel that you should be immune from such criticisms yourself.  This is the behaviour of someone that in fact, feels he is privileged.

• Like 1

Never did get the whole 'bothered by' to 'afraid' transition. Then again, it's like tacking -gate on things. So I guess the cause for the thread now is the re-education of Chaz or is it just the usual idea wankery?

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well...with the devolving to a bit too much potential racial, sexual preference and gender profiling remarks vs. actual arguments, I'm thinking this incarnation of man vs. woman in gaming has run it's course.  I could edit and prune a bit but since it's only 100 or so posts away from post limit and I'm sure the topic will come up again in one form or another, I'm laying this one to rest.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts