Xbox 720 Reveal

Or, as fantasy author Joe Abercrombie tweeted about DerpBoxOne...

New Xbox One feature announced! Unless it drinks your sweet, sweet blood once an hour it explodes, spraying the room with razor shrapnel!

I like how his twitter name is @LordGrimdark.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I would love to know exactly how large corporations "read comments and listen to feedback." Do they have dedicated research teams (like the ones EA just pink-slipped) or do project directors et. al read reddit (readdit?) and Shacknews ... but then what. Do they call a meeting, talk about options ... who makes the final decision. What I am certain of, however, is that a potential loss of revenue is the only thing that makes a company change anything.

Still not loving the mandatory Kinect. When gaming, I prefer to remain as still as possible ... having to wave my whole hand around, using my entire forearm, lifting my upper arm, rotating my shoulder cuff ... gads I'm tired, I just want to play and relax. :) 

All Stop. On Screen.

I would love to know exactly how large corporations "read comments and listen to feedback." Do they have dedicated research teams (like the ones EA just pink-slipped) or do project directors et. al read reddit (readdit?) and Shacknews ... but then what. Do they call a meeting, talk about options ... who makes the final decision. What I am certain of, however, is that a potential loss of revenue is the only thing that makes a company change anything.

Still not loving the mandatory Kinect. When gaming, I prefer to remain as still as possible ... having to wave my whole hand around, using my entire forearm, lifting my upper arm, rotating my shoulder cuff ... gads I'm tired, I just want to play and relax. :)

I imagine that when it's hitting every new site, every news paper, and just about anyplace you can look at the tech information talking about fan outrage and MS's massive stumble...it's a little hard to ignore.

I'm sure they wanted to...but when EVERY one of those media are blasting it in your face...I imagine it gets pretty tiresome.

I would love to know exactly how large corporations "read comments and listen to feedback." Do they have dedicated research teams (like the ones EA just pink-slipped) or do project directors et. al read reddit (readdit?) and Shacknews ...

They use marketing aggregator programs and dedicated marketeers to generate reports and forecasts that reflect views across social media. They then hold *lots* of meetings based on feedback, trust me this type of data is becoming crucial in modern product development / marketing across all industries.

MS' marketing partners would have said "whoah, guys, we see negative feedback all the time, but it's part of niche markets 'a' 'b' and 'c' but this has upset core markets 'd' - 'z' too!

Of course, a development like this gets signed off at the very top.

I think that the direction of travel MS is on is the future, whether we like it or not. I just think that they were too premature, and the always online / steam-console type future is destined for the next turn of the wheel. They need a 'soft landing' where it's optional, and those who opt-in get their tummie's tickled. A lack of strategy at the M$ puzzle palace perhaps.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Microsoft had no plans to ever use their proposed draconian DRM, they knew fans would hate it.

It got them a lot of press.  It put the system's name out there.

And now they're going to try to seem like heroes by "listening to the fans" to generate people buying the system.

conspiracy theory>

Let's see how far the internet takes this. :biggrin:

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

How could Hal be watching if you don't ever need to connect the console to the internet after the initial setup?

Considering the amount of new games that require multiple patches after release, MP, system firmware updates and the possibility that futures games could require cloud computing. I would rather not have a spy cam in my living room. (Strange things frequent that area)

I've also yet to see a convincing argument for kinect(and Move for that matter) in regards to gaming.

And finally we don't want to encourage M$ to develop it to the 9000 model.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Isn't that graphic actually wrong now? 

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

Per http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Isn't that graphic actually wrong now?

If this pastebin is correct, it was always presented wrongly as something worth giving away offline gaming and free resale:

Anyone who you deem to be family had access to these games regardless of where they are in the world. There was never any catch to that, they didn't have to share the same billing address or physical address it could be anyone. When your family member accesses any of your games, they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game.

Well that explains why the game companies weren't up in arms about it, at least.

Not to mention that Microsoft didn't really advertise that feature at any point, and their initial explanation of borrowing one's game with a friend wasn't exactly convenient

The Pastebin is not very credible source, but it does explain a lot of "mistakes" on Microsoft's part

I just think that the possibilities of digitally reselling and digitally lending games are very interesting. Especially if the developers sets the constraints for digital lending.

There were some really awful stuff about XBox One but I get the feeling the people complaining are the same ones who raged to no end over Steam some 10 years ago.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"