The D&D character test!

Woldan

This reads more like an 8 charisma to me. :biggrin:

Or a stick up the ass and a burning desire to smite opposition, which we Paladins have in spades.

That's true. The old paladin high charisma requirement has always translated poorly into practice.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

That's true. The old paladin high charisma requirement has always translated poorly into practice.

D&D really needs to break up their mental stats into separate categories...having Wisdom being a combination of Perception and Willpower was not very good design IMO.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I love these answers.. the hybris is ridiculous in this thread.

"I lift weights, I deserve my 18 str!"

Sure. But what would the world's strongest man get then? Are there really no people who are stronger than you? Can you benchpress 300 kg?

You have 15 con? What the would world champion Iron Man athlete get then? Do you run 10 kilometers in under 40 minutes? Under 30 minutes?

18 int.. Are you a professor? Do you work as a rocket scientist for NASA? Have you published any scientific papers that we can read?

Do you guys have any Olympic medals to show for all your bragging? Any awards? Anything published, accomplished, measurable quantities of something?

No?

Then maytbe, just maybe, we are all average people.. probably ranging from 9-11 in the scores.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

18 int.. Are you a professor? Do you work as a rocket scientist for NASA? Have you published any scientific papers that we can read?

Adjunct. No. Yes, but I like to keep my "real" identity private. :p

Then maytbe, just maybe, we are all average people.. probably ranging from 9-11 in the scores.

So playing videogame doesn't make you violent, but maybe it makes you think you actually are a superhero, if you were just ever given the chance. :D

But don't be surprised - as I mentioned earlier the vast majority of us 'suffer' from a mix of the Donald-Kruger effect and illusory superiority - it's an ego defense mechanism designed to help us deal with this strange, dangerous and crazy world. If we automatically assume 'above average' we don't feel so crummy about constantly comparing ourselves to everyone else.

It's interesting then that in small societies a cultural regulating layer is added - a balance effect like the Law of Jante - to keep the ego in check. We can't have a small community of people all thinking they are superhuman, it would cause too many problems - but it's essential that people feel superior in huge societies like America, because otherwise everyone would feel like crap with the large pool of actual above average people to compare themselves against. And here we have it demonstrated through DnD stats - fascinating :)

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

I think all the questions which were basically rate yourself from 1-4 on each of these glaringly telegraphed stats were rather tedious and pointless. I'm not trying to be a negative nancy - indeed some of the random alignment-type test things can be amusing diversions (and a quick look shows some very familiar-looking questions), but yeah, this just seems to be trying to do a little too much.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I have to say that I think my "real" level of CHA would probably be closer to 7, not 12. I can be very charming or persuasive in the short-term I suppose, but being Mrs-Charisma isn't exactly my normal nature. The latter would be more like Mrs-GruntedResponse-As-I-Stare-Into-Space.

Part of that, however, is cause of the nature of all these entertainment tests ... Choice A is nothing like you at all, Choice B is closer but still not really on the mark, Choice C is closer (but in the opposite direction) but still not that close, and Choice D is also nothing like you at all (A and D can be humor-responses). So you pick one of the two middle choices even if they're not really accurate representations.

Hence, skewed stats. At least, that's my theory and I'm stickin' to it. .... even long, "serious," non-entertainment personality tests have this problem at times.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Charisma is particularly difficult, since it includes natural leadership ability, "animal magnetism", ~looks etc. I score high in these tests since I invariably become the guy people look to make their decisions for them in a tight spot - even before the legal education. Meanwhile my dad, a short round fellow, is instinctively liked by children and small animals and has absurd luck with the ladies. :p

well 180 was considered the top IQ score before it becomes too uncertain. so I always tied them 10-1 to the stats. So I'd have a 16 intelligence score. You don't have to believe that.

What I always found troublesome is that ability scores were too easy to raise. You're not suddenly going to be more intelligent just because you get more books in front of you. Sure, your state of mind will affect your intelligence, and children certainly can still grow. But an adult in a normal state of mind is not going to be more intelligent. That +1 every 4 levels would just be impossible. Maybe you could do that once in twenty levels.

Strength however, is something which is fairly easy to grow, all it requires is diet and training. It's not inherent in a person like charisma is. As for dexterity, I wonder if it is possible to have great dexterity and great strength, or if at some point you're just too much of a hulk to do anything other than tromp around like an elephant.

Anyway, how did we get to be so serious again?

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Anyway, how did we get to be so serious again?

Internet polls are serious business.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Strength however, is something which is fairly easy to grow, all it requires is diet and training. It's not inherent in a person like charisma is. As for dexterity, I wonder if it is possible to have great dexterity and great strength, or if at some point you're just too much of a hulk to do anything other than tromp around like an elephant.

You couldn't be more wrong, genetics play a huge role in a persons physique, if your genetics are bad in terms of muscle build you can exercise as hard as you want and you'd only get mediocre strength at best. You have much more red muscle fibers than white ones? Tough luck! And there is also frame size, wide shoulders and chest vs narrow shoulders chest etc which also play a role in a persons ability to lift and push. Genetics also play a role in muscle shape.

A good example are Ethiopian runners, they'd make terrible bodybuilders because of their genetics, though they are world-class long distance runners.

Of course its possible to get so muscular that you muscles get in your way, but thats not achievable without help in form of roids and food supplements. Usually its the other way around, weight lifting and strength exercises dramatically improve communication between limbs and the brain, you can increase your dexterity with strength training because it also trains the central nervous system and how muscles interact, especially with multi-joint and muscle exercises like deadlifts, bench pressing, front rows.

Lots of muscles = slow and clumsy is a stupid old stereotype that has been proven wrong many times by professional athletes. That its still alive and kicking is pretty amazing, in a bad way.

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Lots of muscles = slow and clumsy is a stupid old stereotype that has been proven wrong many times by professional athletes. That its still alive and kicking is pretty amazing, in a bad way.

Funnily enough, it's being proven right almost every weekend. Start watching MMA and you will know what I mean.

Also, basic understanding of physics should tell you as much. Big mass takes more energy and time to set into motion than small mass.

• Like 1

Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 15
Dexterity- 14
Constitution- 15
Intelligence- 14
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 16

:lol: not really me I think. I'd consider my Str/Con to be (significantly) lower, Int higher, Cha that high only under special circumstances. And with these stats, I'd prefer to be a Sorcerer instead of a Wizard, please ;) CN does not really fit, maybe because I don't like being around my family and keep away from normal people and from beggars? Other than that, I'd consider myself NG.

Interesting what people post here for their stats and their toughts about it :)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Also, basic understanding of physics should tell you as much. Big mass takes more energy and time to set into motion than small mass.

You forgot that muscles are not dead weight, muscles is what moves the weight. For example for running you need lots of UPPER body strength as well, and muscles weigh a lot. Look at the 100m sprinters, some of them are huge and quite heavy, the have legs like logs and the physique of a heavy lifter (in fact, they ARE heavy lifters) yet they run 100m in less then 10 seconds. According to you really slim and light people should be perfect sprinters, but thats not true.

Or watch heavy weight boxing, Klitschko is quite bulky and heavy, but he is lightning fast with his punches and dodges.

Don't know about MMA, I've seen some fast big dudes there but of course normal physics don't apply anymore once you get to abnormally tall super roidheads like Bob Sapp or 7'1'' tall Hong Man Choi.

Edited by Woldan

You forgot that muscles are not dead weight, muscles is what moves the weight. For example for running you need lots of UPPER body strength as well, and muscles weigh a lot. Look at the 100m sprinters, some of them are huge and quite heavy, the have legs like logs and the physique of a heavy lifter (in fact, they ARE heavy lifters) yet they run 100m in less then 10 seconds. According to you really slim and light people should be perfect sprinters, but thats not true.

usain-bolt_107111k.jpg131749656_11n.jpg

To me runners seem a lot leaner and their muscles more sleak and less bulky than the lifters.. In fact except for their legs they don't seem that muscular to me, they just seem to lack fat (and thus showing their muscles).

I wonder what their stats are.. haha

Fortune favors the bald.

Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 13
Dexterity- 12
Constitution- 14
Intelligence- 13
Wisdom- 12
Charisma- 12

A pretty bad one as well :lol: Only 12 Charisma? Where's the "office worker"-class?

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (4th Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength- 13

Dexterity- 12

Constitution- 14

Intelligence- 13

Wisdom- 12

Charisma- 12

A pretty bad one as well :lol: Only 12 Charisma? Where's the "office worker"-class?

12 for Charisma, thats blasphemy !!!

I would have thought you were at least an 18   :unsure:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Chaotic Neutral Human Barbarian/Rogue (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength- 9

Dexterity- 12

Constitution- 11

Intelligence- 14

Wisdom- 13

Charisma- 14

What the fudge? That is the worst character ever!

I got a lvl 2 sorcerer with 9 charisma.

Or watch heavy weight boxing, Klitschko is quite bulky and heavy, but he is lightning fast with his punches and dodges.

Don't know about MMA, I've seen some fast big dudes there but of course normal physics don't apply anymore once you get to abnormally tall super roidheads like Bob Sapp or 7'1'' tall Hong Man Choi.

You are arguing that muscles move mass. I agree, no argument there. Muscles are not dead weight, but they are weight.

That's not the point though. A lightweight moves much quicker than a heavyweight, despite not having the same strength. You're saying Klitschko is fast. How fast do you think he would look next to a decent lightweight?

And it's funny that you take sprinters as an argument for your flawed logic. If your logic was correct, why isn't the world's strongest man also the world's fastest man?

That's not the point though. A lightweight moves much quicker than a heavyweight, despite not having the same strength. You're saying Klitschko is fast. How fast do you think he would look next to a decent lightweight?

Have you ever watched feather-weight and welter weight boxing? Those boxers are really, really short. Why is that? Because they still have to pack muscles (weight) to be fast and strong, skinny lightweight people are bad even at lightweight boxing. Klitschko is just as fast as those small boxers, he looks slower because he is MUCH taller and bigger but in reality he moves just as fast. Bigger things always look slower than small things even when they're moving equally fast.

Another reason why tall and bulky boxers seem slower is they pay more attention to their pacing, as weight goes up it gets more important to conserve energy so they don't move around as much as lightweight boxers.

And it's funny that you take sprinters as an argument for your flawed logic. If your logic was correct, why isn't the world's strongest man also the world's fastest man?

Bad argument, the worlds strongest man of 2012 is Žydrūnas Savickas, 6'3'' tall and weighs 390 lbs, a lot of that weight is -believe it or not-fat, which is a very common physique among strong man contenders. Also, those professional lifters have to have a very special physique if they want to be really competitive, they have short arms and short legs which helps a lot when lifting heavy weights. And thats not an ideal build for a sprinter.

Thats Žydrūnas Savickas by the way...

tumblr_m5n23gzv7B1rp6tylo1_500.jpg

I think YOUR logic is flawed, I've shown you the fact that the quickest people on earth are very muscular weight lifters.

jeff-demps-florida-gators-olympic-sprint

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2