What you did today

Gorth

Agreed with Amentep, with the emphasis on malcontent fethtards. Thanks to a small percentage of angry halfwits everyone has to be on their guard. 

EDIT: On topic

I was supposed to revamp my CV from the ground up to make it more comprehensible to agency and HR staff. I was about to remark that it's as if my CV is reluctant to die and is snarling at me. However, it's just occurred to me how stupid it is that as a culture we allow recruitment to be done by people who don't have the first goddamned clue about the industry they're recruiting for, and certainly don't care about it.

Is it any wonder so many industries get things so badly wrong?

If I ever lose all my self respect and morals I'm going to join HR. ...Which is something to look forward to.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Our HR people have told me that people leaving OR someone under the threat of firing is very prone to make anonymous complaints with no merit simply because they want some form of revenge for perceived wrongs in the former or they want to deflect attention from themselves in the latter.

I've had to talk to some employees - who've worked together for years - to not joke with one another in such ways simply because they may not take offense at each other, but some third party might hear it and take offense or worse hold onto it until they think attention is coming to them about their performance and try to cite the incident to pull the attention away from them.

Welcome to the working world - CYA as primary objective.

That's the beauty of our machines. Much more than 5 ft away, and you aren't hearing squat unless someone is yelling. Especially when the guillotine is running, Even then, (I can't attest to the two that are living together when they're alone - again 5 ft.) I would probably put what would be considered the "worst stuff", quasi-mainstream level typical stand up comedian. Just, in all honesty either not quite as funny, or has the delivery as a seasoned one. Plus, as are training goes, if you feel it is going to far, you go "Whoa, whoa, whoa! Stop right there!" Of course, that in itself has been used more as a punchline, then as an actual restraint.

The worst case I've heard from another department was someone showing someone else something on their phone. A passerby seen it, was offended, and those two got immediate probation's that lasted 15 or 18 months each. That was one of the times we all went through the SH training.

But yes, I agree you can't just go all out, and be mindful of others that may be near by. And we don't go all out. To an outside observer, we are talking, and laughing at times. Of course, we are all (sort of mature) intelligent adults, and know better. It also helps that many of have hung out together outside of work. We're usually at a PG to AA-14 rating. We might go AA-17. We rarely if ever go R. Never reach X. If you're not sure about someone, especially if they're new, play it G-PG safe. Let them stretch their boundary. Nothing comes close to what I imagine goes on at a lot of fast food joints with some (not as mature) yet to get much of their wisdom so far younger people. To reiterate, I've known several teenagers/really young adults who were consummate professionals on the job. I was usually one of them at the time.

They should mandate that all radios in work settings with young workers much play the news. Then if they want to crack jokes, they can tell them based on what they hear ton there.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I couldn't wait to get back home today so I could play F:NV.

Finished Old World Blues, it was kick-ass. Now I am playing vanilla and I'm contemplating upping the difficulty level a bit. Where OWB was challenging as hell, I now seem flush in food and ammo and the like. Also enemies die too easily. Hmm.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Gave in to nostalgia and temptation and bought FF7.

With the reciept they also send the note saying: This is your SecuROM Serial.

Shouldn't they have that somewhere on the store page?

Can I get a refund?

*sigh*

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Applied to two more jobs. One is through the school and and would net me a class B drivers license (bigger vehicles and commercial driving), although I'm not sure I can get it because right now I'm in a sort of academic limbo with them. The other is to be a counter monkey at an adult store.

Hey, I take what I can get so I can quit my current job right quick.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Don't knock working in an adult store, old boy. I learned a lot. :blush: For starters, I had no idea that many people seem to find dolphins sexy.

True story.

I'm sitting with coffee and rehashing my CV for the bazillionth time. Today's watchword is brevity. I am hugely amused at the irony that people reading my CV don't want my life story.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Today I looked through all my physical games. I'm looking for a small apartment, so I need to get rid of stuff I would have kept if I had the room for it but won't have anymore. It's a mixed feeling. In one way, it will feel good to offload some stuff, because I like to know where all my things are. Having them locked up somewhere isn't what I want. I like to have them on a shelf and easily have access to them if I ever feel the urge to play them. The oldest generation I have physical games for now is the PlayStation era consoles, and it's only two games: Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX. I don't have many PS2 games left either, maybe 30 or so. Basically keeping the essentials. I'm keeping more PS2 games than I will for the other systems thanks to the PS2 emulation on PCs. It's great to be able to play them without having to plug in your console. My PS3/360 games are also slowly being sold off. From now on, keeping games from older console generations will be very unlikely for me, with no backwards compatibility and all. On PC, I only have a handful of physical games left. I've re-bought most of the games. It's not a big issue when a lot of them have been on sale for $2.50 on digital stores.

The other is to be a counter monkey at an adult store.

I once knew a guy who took just such a job and promptly regretted it. He had the night shift and, my God, did the freaks ever come out at night. One of his appointed tasks was jizz mopper for the reel booths. I'll spare you the details he described as they were stomach-churning in nature. He lasted less than two weeks. :x

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Added in a counter monkey position at holiday inn, and am going to go talk to Wells Fargo again as well as a bussing company during the week.

I miss the days when it seemed like there were local "computer/electronic conventions" every weekend. I know you still have (bigger, big-name, oft expensive) conventions in the big cities at certain times, but I don't mean those. Smaller, local ones. I liked walking around, checking things out, rifling through software, listening to local small business pitch people. Maybe there are still some around, but it's not the same.

Today, after doing some typical Sat. morning things, I ate some lunch while ogling Scott M. from HGTV's "Income Property" (honestly, what other reason is there to watch that show outside of Scott? :p ) and am now considering a bit more yard work. The scraggly blackberry bush on the side of the house is getting a bit out of control this year. Trimming the top requires a ladder now, tho. Hm.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I saw Steve Wilson, the creator of Porcupine Tree, with his solo band outfit thing in NYC last night. Bloody good, except for some increasingly drunk yobo who insisted on giving interpretive dance performances to every inch of each song to his mates.

This is pretty much the same as how he did it last night:

Hm, maybe it's time to try to adjust monitor colors more to my preferences. At least I can adjust by one "point' at a time. Six colors too, with hue/saturation levels for each color!

...nope, too red.

...nope, too green.

...too yellow.

...red is good, too much green, not enough blue/cyan

...nope, nope, nope *fingers fall off*

...why am I so darn picky?

"Screw it, they'll never get it exactly right for my eyes, not like it matters what news photos, avatars or game screenshots people post look like."

**sour grapes**

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

:lol:  Was tequila involved? You better be careful Ros, you might wake up in a back alley with no wallet, hands tied behind you back, pants around you ankles and bite mark on your neck.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Added in a counter monkey position at holiday inn, and am going to go talk to Wells Fargo again as well as a bussing company during the week.

I wish you were an engineer with backhaul design experience. I've got to go back to Burlington & Des Moines in a few weeks and I'd love to subcontract THAT out. That is a long drive for me.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I wish you were an engineer with backhaul design experience. I've got to go back to Burlington & Des Moines in a few weeks and I'd love to subcontract THAT out. That is a long drive for me.

When you're up here wanna visit? If nothing else just a dinner at Olive Garden somewhere in DSM.

When you're up here wanna visit? If nothing else just a dinner at Olive Garden somewhere in DSM.

Sounds good. I'll PM you a week or so ahead of time. It's  probably going to be in mid June.

Thomas Sowell

:lol:  Was tequila involved? You better be careful Ros, you might wake up in a back alley with no wallet, hands tied behind you back, pants around you ankles and bite mark on your neck.

Sambuka as a matter of fact .. and I'm not so worried I always bring backup to these kind of parties ;).. They were both very charming actually, he was dressed like an Anne Rice vampire with sharpened nails and fangs in addition - and she looked like your average Goth girl, but had had some kind of ligament surgically grafted into her ears to make them look elf'ish. He drank blood and we talked about black magic.. And then I danced with a lesbian poledancer. Good night.. It was seriously how I imagined a night club taken from a a Vampire Masquerade game would be and feel.

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

Strange, strange people.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Had the earliest shift I've worked in probably 2 years. Managed to smash my knuckle so it hurts slightly to use my right pointer finger. Then there's my usual nagging "stress" aches in my leg and back.

Chopped my hair again. And I do mean chopped. As in, unprofessionally, unevenly spiky in all the wrong ways like some deranged person. Weather turns warm and I just can't stand long hair anymore. Not to mention those hair-whorls. Still haven't tried totally shaving it yet, tho. :p