What you did today

Gorth

I'd like job suggestions from the forum, if the honourable members will oblige. I got fethed off with the old one.

Something where you wear a suit and can hire me as your personal assistant?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Walsh as political pundit. I'd read it. Don't know how well it pays, however. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Also, could get a job at the Mail or Sun.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Had my taxes done yesterday and am getting a nice refund. \o/

I'm getting $600 back this year. Hell yes!

Anyways, today I drank copious amounts of liquor and did some research for a paper that is due sometime between Thursday and Sunday. I work best when inebriated and on a tight schedule.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I don't want to hear about tax refunds. Lalalalala can't hear you.

...today I successfully kept myself from being blown away in the heavy wind, altho I'm not so sure about Mr. Grey.  Hubs came home with windblown hair and said he expected to see a tree on the roof. Heh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

We gave up on keeping up with tax laws ourselves years ago and now fork over big cash to have someone else do it. Self-employment has big rewards, but also big headaches. :)

Company's accountants messed up, so I ended up owing, wooo!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

We gave up on keeping up with tax laws ourselves years ago and now fork over big cash to have someone else do it. Self-employment has big rewards, but also big headaches. :)

:p I wish I was self employed. As it is I did all my own online, but could have just paid 30 bucks at HR Block (which is what at least one of my co-workers was spouting all over the place)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I tried the generic walk-in HR Block service years ago, when we could still file a simple 1040. Both state and Fed came back with letters saying we'd done it wrong, so I never went back. ;) Currently we use a private accountant. He's not cheap ($30 is far far far away....) but knows us (over a decade), and does other general financial/tax advice. So we stick with him. I'd hate to have to find a new one.

Also....my feet are freezing. With the wind and a not very well sealed A/C window unit, there's a draft in this room or something. Do they make 10 inch thick slippers? Guess I need to seal that A/C unit better....

^--- That's close to the amount I'm getting to. Really nice I must say.

Spent the weekend with the infamous girlfriend discussed a few pages back. Went on a short trip to the parts where she grew up and spent the weekend at her best friend's house. Everything went extremely well I must say, the friend and her husband were great people. When I was alone with her friend she told me that she hadn't seen the gf this genuinely happy and carefree since the days when they first met, which was obviously a big boost for my confidence.

Very happy with how it all turned out.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Braver than me, I would never quit a job before I had a replacement.

I did that a couple of months ago,* it does add a certain adrenaline rush to looking for new jobs. Of course the one where I'm now basically fell into my lap, but still...

*well, technically, I didn't quit, I just didn't agree to renewing a temp contract...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Braver than me, I would never quit a job before I had a replacement.

I should be clear that I jumped, but might have been pushed. Don't admire me on those grounds. :)

Actually private eye was my first thought. But

[long pause]

What the hell. I may as well at least look into it.

Strangely enough I am interested in ship construction as a bit of a hobby. But the really massive vessels. There's something as inspiring as cathedrals about such big man made systems. Particularly on the move.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You do know that just goes to sustain Illuminati vampire snake people right ?

You do know that just goes to sustain Illuminati vampire snake people right ?

The lab was better hidden than any Illuminati secret facility.

Drive to hospital: 10 minutes.

Drive back from hospital: 10 minutes

Fill out the donor form and talk with doctor: 3 minute

Donate blood: 5-10 minutes

Find the bloody place after reaching the hospital: 30 minutes

Goes to show how little people donate blood over here...

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Strangely enough I am interested in ship construction as a bit of a hobby. But the really massive vessels. There's something as inspiring as cathedrals about such big man made systems. Particularly on the move.

That's a very apt description. To this day I still vividly remember an 18yo Gfted1, having just completed boot camp and been flown out to Alameda California to join the fleet, walking along the pier next to my first ever ship the USS Enterprise (CVN-65). It was unbelievable to me that something so gigantic could even float. Its like looking at the Empire State building on its side.

^It'd have been cooler if it'd been the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) :p

I kid, I kid.  CVN-65 was the first of the nuclear powered aircraft carriers, IIRC, so that's a bit of history serving on her.  Just got decommissioned if I remember correctly again.

I remember getting a chance to go to one of the ships set up as a museum and being impressed with how big it was (and, funnily enough, getting lost in it because someone left a barrier down and I got into the part of the ship you weren't supposed to be able to get to and couldn't figure out where I'd gone wrong). 

EDIT: It may have been the USS Barry (DD-933), a Sherman-class destroyer from the 1950s and about a third of the size of the Enterprise.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I did two float deployments. I can't say I shared Wals & Gifteds awe though. But then again I was on gator freighters both times. USS Dubuque & USS St. Louis. That's a long way from Enterprise! The upshot was though, I was just cargo, not crew.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yesterday I wrote Uncle Sam a big check, then went fishing and listened to the Rays - Red Sox game in the morning. I was depressed about the check, even more depressed after the game, didn't catch anything (although that hardly matters) then heard about the bomb. It was a bummer of a day all around.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just renewed my concealed carry license for a 5-year stint this morning.  It really grinds my gears that a) a license is required at all; b) it costs $105 to exercise what I consider a God given, Constitutionally enumerated right.  Granted, it's only the equivalent of $21/yr., but it's the principle of the matter that rankles.  To me it's the equivalent of a poll tax.  Grrrrrr!  :verymad:

On the upside, there was a remarkably beautiful woman on a Buell motorcycle wearing biking boots, low cut jeans, a thong, a leather jacket, and a half helmet that showed off her long ponytail in front of me while driving back from the county building.  Vavoom!  :brows:  Spring has arrived!

Edited by Tsuga C

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Right, I've landed back in blighty. Unpacked and having a moment to enjoy access to proper English tea.

Spent around 15 hours on planes in the past 24, and having that slightly odd "air legs" sensation now that I'm on solid ground again.

Mexico was interesting, and certainly had some fun whilst there.

The groom, his brother and I went out on one trip that was meant to be grab a taxi to take us 4km down the road to a nice covered market/bazarre, but the taxi driver saw several gringo's and tried to steer us away and go around the houses. No matter that we kept asking him if he actually new where he was going because we knew he was going the wrong way. He kept doing the "si, it's over here somewhere" no matter how much we were doing the "No. It's over there". In the end we had to force the issue of getting him to stop and let us out which he really didn't want to. I guess that's what you can call the Kidnapping-Lite, or the "Diet Coke of Mexican Kidnapping Experiences".

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just renewed my concealed carry license for a 5-year stint this morning.  It really grinds my gears that a) a license is required at all; b) it costs $105 to exercise what I consider a God given, Constitutionally enumerated right.  Granted, it's only the equivalent of $21/yr., but it's the principle of the matter that rankles.  To me it's the equivalent of a poll tax.  Grrrrrr!  :verymad:

:lol:  It's a right to HAVE it, not tote it around with you while it's loaded. Besides, I'm cool with that. I have one in two states myself and if you are going to have folks armed I'd rather they demonstrate some competency with handling them.

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

Right, I've landed back in blighty. Unpacked and having a moment to enjoy access to proper English tea.

Spent around 15 hours on planes in the past 24, and having that slightly odd "air legs" sensation now that I'm on solid ground again.

Mexico was interesting, and certainly had some fun whilst there.

The groom, his brother and I went out on one trip that was meant to be grab a taxi to take us 4km down the road to a nice covered market/bazarre, but the taxi driver saw several gringo's and tried to steer us away and go around the houses. No matter that we kept asking him if he actually new where he was going because we knew he was going the wrong way. He kept doing the "si, it's over here somewhere" no matter how much we were doing the "No. It's over there". In the end we had to force the issue of getting him to stop and let us out which he really didn't want to. I guess that's what you can call the Kidnapping-Lite, or the "Diet Coke of Mexican Kidnapping Experiences".

You gotta watch yourself there. I worked there for six months and kept a VERY low profile. Where were you? 

Thomas Sowell