Dungeon Keeper 3 successfully kickstarted

Cultist

Kickstarter page

Project page  

Release date announced: August 30, 2013.

Playable demo available HERE

A Message From Peter Molyneux, The Creator of Dungeon Keeper

"Dungeon Keeper has to be remade. It has to be remade by people who
love it and the Kickstarter campaign for War For The Overworld is the
campaign to support if you want to see Dungeon Keeper back."

- Peter Molyneux, Creative Director at 22 Cans and Creator of Dungeon Keeper

“War for the Overworld is shaping up to be a great God Game that brings
back fond memories of both creating and playing Dungeon Keeper 2. I wish
the team the best of British in bringing their creation to life.”

– David Amor, Chief Creative Officer at Relentless, ex-Bullfrog Productions

You can still back the project at their homepage.

Edited by Cultist
  • Like 1

MzpydUh.gif

I didnt know about it either but if its anything like the first game in the series its a day 1 purchase for me.

EDIT: "...brings back fond memories of both creating and playing Dungeon Keeper 2."

Meh, nevermind, Im out.

What's wrong with 2? They're both good games. I'm going to go donate now.

Oh great, so many oldschool games are getting new life through kickstarter, My fingers on credit card are itching

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I didnt know about it either but if its anything like the first game in the series its a day 1 purchase for me.

EDIT: "...brings back fond memories of both creating and playing Dungeon Keeper 2."

Meh, nevermind, Im out.

Thats a good question that I dont have an answer I can pinpoint. I played the wheels off DK1 but for whatever reason couold never get into DK2. I remember quitting when I had to possess a skeleton to be able to walk through some lava or something like that. I think DS2 also made it that when you pick up a handfull of minions to drop them onto an invading force that they would be stunned for a few seconds. These little mechanical changes probably turned me away.

Meh, nevermind, Im out.

Thats a good question that I dont have an answer I can pinpoint. I played the wheels off DK1 but for whatever reason couold never get into DK2. I remember quitting when I had to possess a skeleton to be able to walk through some lava or something like that. I think DS2 also made it that when you pick up a handfull of minions to drop them onto an invading force that they would be stunned for a few seconds. These little mechanical changes probably turned me away.

I'm sure they'll polish up some of the gameplay quibbles mate. It sure looks awesome and seems like these guys know what made DK great.

That was made for a reason. Because in DK1 you were practically invincible and invasions easily beatable.

- Drop n+1 minions that instantly go to the fight, overwhelming even strongest opponents in a second.

- Lava was the only thing to seprate levels and add strategic element to the maps.

- In DK1 you had to research every room on every new level.

- The only way to breach through the walls were Tremor spell

- You could no longer train your creatures to 10 lvl in training room.

- Gems income were significantly reduced.

Yes, devs took away that things that made your army unstoppable, but I don't want to play the game where I am unstoppable. I prefer challenge and hardships to overcome)

MzpydUh.gif

I think we discussed this Kickstarter thread a bit in the Kickstarter thread, a while back. After a bit of research (including the demo) I'm less convinced it'll be as awesome as it sounds, but it could be good.

It is not DK3, however, and last I knew, Peter M. had nothing to do with development. Which some might consider a good thing these days. :biggrin:

That was made for a reason. Because in DK1 you were practically invincible and invasions easily beatable.
- Drop n+1 minions that instantly go to the fight, overwhelming even strongest opponents in a second.
- Lava was the only thing to seprate levels and add strategic element to the maps.
- In DK1 you had to research every room on every new level.
- The only way to breach through the walls were Tremor spell
- You could no longer train your creatures to 10 lvl in training room.
- Gems income were significantly reduced.

I'm with Gfted here.

--they could have made it so you couldn't drop so many minions at a time or some other solution. The stun mechanic was irritating and didn't even solve the issue because all you had to do was drop them a bit farther away, instead.
--researching in every level in DK1 made the time crunch aspect more interesting, imo
--Walls were not impenetrable in DK2 until a later patch, where in MP/skirmish where you could choose it via a checkbox. They were originally diggable in single-player, which was annoying because it took no time at all for them to do so.
--They could have made it take a lot longer to train to level 8 or 10 in a training room, instead of creating an irritating combat-room mechanic that was inefficient, took up nearly all your attention, especially if you were using skeletons and/or vampires (hard to multi-task around your dungeon), was dependent on semi-glitchy imps dragging people back to their lair etc.

....that all said, what I enjoyed about DK2 was the pet dungeons. It was fun to mess around there, because rooms didn't have to be square anymore. Amusing designs could be made.

But I definitely prefer/enjoyed DK1/Deeper Dungeons. I replayed that one about 10000x more. I think I only got thru DK2 campaign twice.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think we discussed this Kickstarter thread a bit in the Kickstarter thread, a while back. After a bit of research (including the demo) I'm less convinced it'll be as awesome as it sounds, but it could be good.

It is not DK3, however, and last I knew, Peter M. had nothing to do with development. Which some might consider a good thing these days. :biggrin:

'm with Gfted here.

--they could have made it so you couldn't drop so many minions at a time or some other solution. The stun mechanic was irritating and didn't even solve the issue because all you had to do was drop them a bit farther away, instead.

--researching in every level in DK1 made the time crunch aspect more interesting, imo

--Walls were not impenetrable in DK2 until a later patch, where in MP/skirmish where you could choose it via a checkbox. They were originally diggable in single-player, which was annoying because it took no time at all for them to do so.

--They could have made it take a lot longer to train to level 8 or 10 in a training room, instead of creating an irritating combat-room mechanic that was inefficient, took up nearly all your attention, especially if you were using skeletons and/or vampires (hard to multi-task around your dungeon), was dependent on semi-glitchy imps dragging people back to their lair etc.

....that all said, what I enjoyed about DK2 was the pet dungeons. It was fun to mess around there, because rooms didn't have to be square anymore. Amusing designs could be made.

But I definitely prefer/enjoyed DK1/Deeper Dungeons. I replayed that one about 10000x more. I think I only got thru DK2 campaign twice.

They are on their own, as EA have rights on Dungeon Keeper franchise.

As for changes:

- that was not ideal, but step in right direction.

- Getting same rooms every time was boring rather than time crunching IMO.

- Walls were diggable in DK2 by default as far as i remember. Took a while for imps to dig and even longer if enemy emps were counterfortifying.

- Fighting pit was a bad solution IMO, but limiting creature leveling - again- step in right directions. In first DK you just walled your dingeon and leveled till 10. That was uber boring.

That being said, I really hope now, with comsumer interaction devs could find a solution to this problems.

MzpydUh.gif

As someone who is considering backing, i'm interested in why you think that - would you mind elaborating? Thanks :)

In first DK you just walled your dingeon and leveled till 10. That was uber boring.

That aspect is largely player playstyle driven - people do it because yes, it's easy to do. But most of DK/DD was also playable/beatable not using that strategy at all. There were some DD levels that were very defensive in design, but even those could be beaten without doing the wall-in/train to lvl10 tactic. Try it sometime. It's much more interesting, not to mention fast-paced/crazy chaotic. :)

As someone who is considering backing, i'm interested in why you think that - would you mind elaborating? Thanks :)

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably buy it when/if it's finished, unless reviews (pro and user) lambast it. But it was TrueNeutral's post about the people behind the current KS that had me thinking. I don't feel as strongly about it as TN does, but I did recall some mod remake/redesign attempts back when. I was not a part of them like TN was, but I also remember they'd disappear a lot and stuff. When I looked it up, it was the same folks.

It doesn't inspire confidence for giving money up front. I also think it does remind me more of DK2, with more combat orientation, which isn't necessarily what I'm personally looking for. Still, the graphics so far shown are nice, and if they come through with some good modding tools/level editor like I believe they stated they would, that could go a long way ... eg, I could then turn the game or levels into something more of my taste. But we'll see.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've actually somewhat reconsidered my position based on the strength of the material they've been showing. Dropping the DK IP and making their own as a spiritual successor instead of a fan sequel has done that unfocused project a world of good - and replacing half the team seems to have done the same. They readjusted their design philosophy and crowdfunding made them a lot more accepting of feedback, so unless disaster strikes I'll probably buy it and give it a try once they finish it.

I can't shake the feeling that it's still just an unreliable mod team at heart, however, and I think giving money up front might not be the best idea.

Yeah, like I said...I'm likely to buy it when it comes out, at whatever full price they'll be asking. I just wasn't quite willing to give money up front. I am wishing them all the luck, since I certainly would like a good DK-like game.

One big hope/concern is that their level design will not feel as restricted/linear as DK2's did. I didn't like DK2's (SP campaign) level design much at all.

I've actually somewhat reconsidered my position based on the strength of the material they've been showing

Nope TrueNeutral but you can't change your mind, sorry. The Moderators can correct me but as far as I know the forum rules explicitly state " members cannot change there opinions once posted". You ran the game down and said you wouldn't support it. Thats was your opinion back then and now you need to stick to it. But because I like you I'll send you some Youtube clips of me having fun and playing the game when its released :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Isn't Impire, which comes out tomorrow, essentially the same thing?

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/impire

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Doubt so, Impire is way to cartoonish. And the worst thing - anything related to the world of Ardania failed so far, except for first Majesty.

And War for the Overworld released a Q&A:

Will the game be PG or R Rated? - The game will have torture and such, ESRB rating will likely be M for Mature.
In General what is the timeline for the project - Beta in March, Release in August are ballpark estimates, if they need more time it will be used, game will release when ready.

How does development stand? - Working week by week, keeping on track, hitting every major milestone

Will you be able to pick up minions - Yes
When will Dungeoneer be going out - It will be going out with Bedrock beta assuming no problems with it, Nexus will be center point for initial development, working with mod community to find bugs, It’ll be very... um... yeah in beta so don’t be surprised if your mod breaks every week.
Will there be a room where creatures can make armour? - There may be a thing that make things, Creatures might use the foundry to make stuff who knows
Unlimited Gold Block - Ways to generated gold outside of mining gold, Shrine that generates gold like oil derrick from RA.
Vanilla Multiplayer Players - 8 up to 10 figure out what is nice comfortable number of players, can be modded.
Random Events - Falling Rocks, Catastrophes etc. May be in Campaign not a base game feature due to it's effect on gameplay.
Micro Management - Stuff will go along on it's own but you can help it along if you want to maximise performance.
Upgradable Rooms - Potentially, but not ready to talk about it yet
Pick up- The more powerful the unit the more it costs to pick up. This is to prevent hot pickups
Unit Flower - Like Dungeon Keeper 2, Will have level, other information will display how powerful they are, instant snapshot, some units become visually different as they progress.
Portal - Intelligent creatures come through portals. Other units come through other ways.
Random Maps- Difficult to do well, maybe something for later, middle-ground?
Dungeoneer Campaigns - Should allow you to do your own world map?
Decorate Rooms - Unable to decorate rooms individually, able to select specific themes for your Dungeon.
Possession - Will the AI Be smart enough? Possession is limited by blood, we don't want you to be able to run straight to the other dungeon and beat the enemy player, you won't be able to keep possesion up.
Will there be slapping - Damn right
Will there be a physical manifestation of the underlord - No.
Will there be more non-humanoid creatures - Yes, Intelligent units vs beast, want to do cool interesting things with intelligent, needs human skeleton, why not have two types of units that so intelligent units can use props and such and beats will be very cool.
Will units be able to patrol- Looking at guarding, very cool unit that has defensive structure for guarding, we'll talk about that soon.
Cool way of tracking the game and unlocking stuff - Different actions will give you points that can be used to unlock, based off the veins of evil.#
Are you hoping to expand WFTO after the game launches - Game is very extendable, framework is easy to improve, can be continued to support, doesn't mean we wont release spin-offs no WFTO2 for quite a while will build the first game.
Will beasts and intelligent creatures share unit cap- no Arbitrary unit cap, but a soft cap, worked out with an algorhythm.
In what ways can minions use their gold- In many ways :D
Rare units- No rare units, units that take time to get to.
Beta- All units working, 4 rooms, Bedrock beta very base stuff.
Steam Workshop - Nexus for now, definitely looking into Steam workshop, in development period difficult to get dungeoneer out now for steam workshop. Don't want to expose average joe to broken stuff.
Richard Ridings voice will be different from both DK1 and DK2.
Do you guys have the rights to DK2? - No
Do you think what happend to DayZ happend to you? (Copyright infringement) - No two reasons, we have the blessing, dead franchise, no standing ground for EA. As long as we do not copy IP there's nothing that can happen.
Will you be able upgrade units - Great idea! (Slightly sarcastic ;P)
Fluid Physics - Gameplay No, water will stay in the tile. visually no idea yet.
Veins of Evil - Overtime you will gain points, you can spend them as you please, can go entirely into one tree, imagine a four gate ALL IN. Archive researches
Will you be able to spy on other team - Yes through various methods
Push back game if it's not up to scratch - Not going to release broken, release bedrock beta weekly bi-weekly builds, as new feature is a stable release it. Until game is done not releaseing, august is goal but if not done not releaseing, cannot make bug free, but as close as possible, should be fun and working by that time.
Combat Mechanics - Depends on the units, units more intelligent, far more interesting in abilities, stil la case of they hit each other and one will die, large groups will interract.
Richard ridings will do mission introductions
Multiplayer dedicated servers? - Currently client host, can host whatever you want in the game, mods, special rules etc.
Will creatures rebel if they're unhappy - yes
How many units will you be able to pick up at once - Yet to be determined, based on your blood, around 10, figure it out at later date.
Pre-releases - Every 2 weeks for QA. Steam should make it really easy for the beta.
What resources are available - Gold, Blood, stuff not on UI units to sacrifice etc.
Is there a stun period after dropping, can imps be dropped on unclaimed land - Small radius around your claimed land, AOI, you can drop your units anywhere in that area. No mans land like Black and white.
Will beta be a steam key? - Yes
Max army - Will be larger than Dungeon Keeper 2, You don't feel like a badass with just 12.
Will there be a way to tunnel under the map like Nydas canal? - Probably not, we've talked about it but could probably be abused and not able to.
How will you combat zerg rush style of winning? - Zerg rush in our case, beast rush it's a viable tactic, wrath tree focused around, if you leave yourself open, yes they will beat you if they execute it well, one of tactics available that's how the game will work. by no means more effective one.
What kind of turrets/defenses will be available? - There will be a lot more unique defenses not all doing the same thing, alot more utility cannot defend yourself with just one trap, must complement your defensive strategy. No direct defensive stuff yet.
Will defenses use blood? - No
Do units use abilities on their own? - Yes
Do you plan to have neutral monsters defening the shrines - There will be neutral creatures.
Some units will have voices, some only make noise some don't depends on the creature.
You will be able to convert enemy and neutral units.
Any thoughts on bringing the dragon back?- Anything is possible, in order to do a dragon well it dones't fit very well DK Dragon was awkwardly shaped, very limited by lateral space, has to fit in tiles, would be very awkward in 3D.
Gory Deaths- Unit corpses are a pseudo resource, difficult if we want to use them as resources we can't have them torn apart and dismembered, we'll have to figure it out and figure out a happy middle ground.
Twilight Vampires - No, No dear god no.
Will you guys implement the same sound ambience as in DK2 Clicking?- Yes there will.
Will there be stealth unit types? - Maybe, there might be.
Will there be a way to turn off the graveyard - Don't know if there's one of those yet, there's more things you can do with corpses.
What are your thoughts on selectign a unique unit that will always join your cause - The problem with that is there's a very big mechanics choice in the veins of evil e.g. the cultist which changes into one of 3 units in the veins of evil. Probably not going to happen as it takes away from what the veins of evil is meant to be doing.
Units evolution - Lots of units will have various ways to progress.
Will any units do unusual things to pass their time- Yes units will have lots of things they can do, and often you'll want to do other things, they'll go about their lives on their own but if you want to put your time into micro-management then you can do that to customise your play so to speak.
Will you have a guys have a unit like the horned reaper thats fun to be around - Yeah i guess we do :)
Are there angry-bird like creature - No, but there is a unit that operates mechanically similar to an angry bird.
Can there be craftable items in the foundry that boost the quality of the room - Very fiddly system, lots of interaction needed, lots of overhead for small amount of gameplay so not likely.
When you possess creatures will you perceive the world differently depending on creatures eyes - We'd like to do that definitely.
Will units have different combat styles - Not in archetypes like DK2's blockers and blitzers, all going to be very distinct there are various tanky units and all tanks in their own ways but mitigate in different ways. e.g. the augre prevents things getting to him and getting past him, immovable object. Another defensive unit that you get access to later on, will focus on keeping things near him, wants thing to attack him will keep stuff attacking him. Juggernaut is focussed on getting in your face, charge at you make you focus on him.
Multi-level dungeons - Seems cool, but too much overhead for the user versus the gameplay it generates.
Ranged units are being handled carefully, because of confined space, not overused, limited alot of units have a lot of utility and burst but not a lot of consistent damage to combat issues.
Tanky units will want to tank due to their abilities. Because they're focused around defensive use their strong point is defending, as part of the sloth tree.
Can you think of a strategy to build a bottleneck against a siege - Can think of a hundred ways, there are ways to do that but unlike before there are ways to counter that.
Doors for multi-tiles - Cool idea. It's on a sticky note now
How many different creatures in WFTO - More creatures, more rooms, more spells than DK2.
Are there ways to win without being aggressive - In multiplayer you will have to destroy your enemy, there are dozens of ways of doing that, some are aggressive some passive or a mix of both.
Will there be any gameplay in the overworld - No all gameplay is in the dungeon at the moment, no multi-floor maps, no overworld maps in the gameplay.
Will there be ways to hire outside units ala mercenaries - In multiplayer there will be ways to do this. The player will be able to claim it and it will send through mercenary versions of empire units.
Directly influence which creatures you CAN get by choosing your path down the trees. All still indirect as before but you have more control, units more useful and suitable to the roles than in previous games based off your veins of evil. Greed, invest time, Sloth, Defensive, Wrath Offensive. There are no units as useful as the firefly, there are many ways to recycle units you don't want.
Will it be possible to kill all neutral units on the map - Depends on the map designer, can be limited or respawn.
If you drop a unit will they be stunned for a time - No the penalty is a blood cost, however if we determine that's not enough possibly.
How will fog of war work - Will work basically like SC2.
Will you be able to control the camera in Dungeoneer - Possibly, we're talking about access to core mechanics.
Collision between units - Units will walk through each other, to make sure it doesn't look dumb, but units will colide with enemy units.
Will there be undead creatures in the game- yes
Other than claiming tiles can i expand my area of influence - Totally, there are several ways, there are things we're gonna.
How moddable will it be - We're aiming for at least as moddable as Bethesda games if not more.

MzpydUh.gif

Hmm that WotO seems interesting...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I've actually somewhat reconsidered my position based on the strength of the material they've been showing

Nope TrueNeutral but you can't change your mind, sorry. The Moderators can correct me but as far as I know the forum rules explicitly state " members cannot change there opinions once posted". You ran the game down and said you wouldn't support it. Thats was your opinion back then and now you need to stick to it. But because I like you I'll send you some Youtube clips of me having fun and playing the game when its released :)

Wait a minute.  I just think he's living up to his alignment.  He had a negative opinion of the project, so naturally, to maintain neutrality, he had to balance it with a positive opinion.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 4 weeks later...

DK1 was [is] my favorite of the two; but I really like DK2... The only real annoyance for me was that the walls could not be reinforced to impenetrable; or at least nigh impenetrable. Actually there was one more peeve, boulders crumbled after three or so bounces.

Something that I missed in DK2 was the need to micro-manage the horned reaper(s!); each to their own [locked] apartments.

**The minor annoyance was that with DK2 (and DK1/D3D), they lost the individual insect vision; hex-cell vision for flys, and the convex warped view for beetles.

Edited by Gizmo

Some new info from livestream transcription:

- Any eta on the bedrock beta - Roughly March 31st provided nothing breaks.
- No subscription fee, unless valve changes it.
- What about a sacrificial chamber in wfto - May have some semblence of sacrifice with a unit known as the cultist.
- Will converted heroes say different things to normal ones - Excellent point, james will look into it.
- If we have a non steam version will we be able to play with non-steam people - Don’t know right know, focusing directly on core game at the moment but we’ll need to figure out should work straight away with lan and direct play
- When will you have an updated demo - Not going to have one, the beta is the next version you can play in March
- Will mods be able to force you into a first person possession perspective - Definitely if that’s what the map maker wants to do you will be able to do that.
- How long will the signelplayer be roughly - Between four and thirty hours roughly (Laugh)
- Will there be online tournaments - There’s nothing preventing it, I suppose we could organise one, would be a pretty cool thing to do when the game comes out.
- Will there be a global chat channel, with the ability to turn it off - It’s quite easy to do, it’s a question of where it’s to go though chat will mostly be handled through steam but we’ll think about it.
- Is there a danger that EA are going to come along and stop development - No, we’ve had multiple chats with EA, it’s all good.
- How many people will a map hold on multiplayer - The game technically has no limit on the players in a map, the limit will be a design decision based on how fun it would be to play and that makes it playable on most computers. At a guess standard deathmatch will be around 10, for custom maps can be whatever you want.
- How many lines of speaking will richard have? - Richard is cheduled to have 17 hours of dialog As much or more as the original DKs.
- Are you going to sell your game to EA - We’ll be happy to sell a copy to it, but we’re not going to sell our game to EA unless they offered complete autonomy and lots of money but that wont happen.
- Will we be able to play agains freinds not as keeper vs keeper but as keeper vs empire - Not in base game but something we want to look at later down the road, it’s something we’d like to put a lot of effort into it, there will be an announcement in the future about the flex goals. We’d want to make sure we do stuff like this well so we’re not focused on it right now. Definitely doable later down the road.
- Able to communicate in game via chat box or integrate voice chat - Voice is free via steam, Chatbox will be easy to do. Don’t see why we wouldn’t
- If this game is a success will you consider a sequel - We’ll probably consider updating the game a higher priortity to make it the best game it can be, we don’t want to make a WFTO2 that’s just the same we’d need a good reason to do so.
- Will you be able to see the damage units do overhead - Could be easily put in, there will be a lot of information above units head but we don’t know if it would look good, large groups of units vs large groups of units will be costly to display them all and it’ll be very visually noisy so not sure if its something it’ll be worth doing.
- Any chance of a knight in a realisitic suit of armour, similar to the avatar - We have some great alternatives to the avatar, we’ll probably have about 3 guys with armour and there will be other units with armour, that’s just on the good side.
- Will we be able to see the XP of the creature we’ve possesd rising as we fight with it- Don’t see why not.
- What scope for modding this game? - Your imagination is pretty much is the limit, we’re building the game with the same tools we’re releasing for the super advanced stuff you’ll need more technical knowledge, if you want to go in and make abilities and such it’ll be easy to do but new mechanics you’ll need some more advanced knowledge.
- Animosity between certain minions - You know it!
- How close is the demo to the current version of the game - The demo is currently a massive mess, it’s not a good representation of the game essentially the back end of the demo is barely similar to the game, we’ve changed a lot of assets too, default wall height, floor tile, occulus, workers, treasury being reworked, archive reworked, very little of the demo is going to be in the final game a lot is being improved upon.
- How heavy will micromanagement be - If you don’t want to micromanage at all you never have to, if you do it well it will make your battles go slightly better but we don’t want it to be make or break.
- Overworld is in a fictional medieval land based on England.
- Hows the select tiles click and drag working now it was bad in the demo - This has been massively improved from the demo, just pretend you’re playing dungeon keeper 2.
- Will creatures get angry if unfed - They will behave as you expect based on their personalities once they’re upset and yes when unfed.
- Will you have a horned reaper like character hard to control killing machine, will creatures have personality - Each creature will have a unique personality, there will be certain ones that will be very angry and love destruction :)
- There will be plenty of ways to eat your micropiglet. James has another cute overdose.
- Can you show the game - The game is sort of broken at the moment, the pretty part and the working part haven’t been married yet.
- How many minions are there going to be? - Around 20ish,
- Impire - Some of us got to 5 minutes before closing it.
- Gore - Although it is very cool, we can’t have bodies being destroyed because we need to use the body to do horrific things to it, which require it to be mostly whole.
- Level 10 is the cap for units.
- Last time there was a multi-tiled doors, any update on that front- We’re not looking at this yet, we’ve discussed it but we don’t feel it reflects what we want for doors, which is a chokepoint for the Dungeon, it’s something we can try and look at when the game is able to support that kind of thing, more of a theory atm.
- Will you be able to hold your Beta deadline - It’s looking good so far, so it’ll be closed but we’re convinced it’s gonna break in the last 12 hours, so that might delay us.
- Some minions prefer certain terrain, different terrain will effect certain units in certain ways.
- When is the demo - No demo, Beta at end of march.
- Will hands be in first person, like the units hands - Yeah, it was shown in the demo, we’re not taking any steps back.
- Will there be blocking units like in DK? - Damage mitigation there will be various ways that works, as for physical blocking that’s the kind of thing that will be physics heavy and costly, so we probably won’t have actual blocking blocking, there will be way to deflect attacks. Units will be able to protect other
- Will creatures be able to upgrade their armour through the workshop - We haven’t commented on any armour, in the next few weeks you might have an answer.
- Is there going to be a new gnarling - The Gnarling is currently staying how it visually it was before, we’re happy with the look, it’s a single varient of a unit that will have many different appearences.
- How much power will programmers have to modify the game - There will be various scripts that you can modify, you will not be able to modify the source code of the game.
- Neutral Monsters are a distinct possibility,
- Chasm tile - May have this, but does have a lot of problems that we may not be able to sort out.
- Types of terrain - Loads of terrain we have mentioned previously e.g. brimstone, permafrost, water, lava ( See tiles update)
- Can you show us more dungeon themes, how many themes can we expect - There will be many themes that will in the game and constantly added, either by us or community ones that we’ve patched in the games. At least 5 at base but we bet there will be more/
- When we say the game will be finished we dont mean finished at release, we’ll be continuing to develop the game
- When does it come out- Beta is out roughly end of next month, the game will hopefully be out by the end of august.
- How do you plan to use fotified walls - They will work how they were in DK1 e.g. impenetrable but there will be various ways that they can be de-enforced e.g. the Undermier trap or a spell. You will not simply be able to dig through them.
- Any discourse between you and Peter molyneux about the game- Peter is making his own game is a very busy man at the moment.
- Please no oversized swords and shoulderpads - We’re not looking to make any
- As with DK1 will you able to looking into the fog of war and be able to hear sounds of what you can’t see yet- Maybe we’ve not talked about that yet.
- Will units say different things like in warcraft if you keep clicking on them - If you click on them you’ll pick them up.
- Will you be able to control group units - Well you could mod it in.
- We might have filters based on each creature being possesed on houw their eyes work.
- Can monsters say things if you drop them - The unit on the bottom of the stack of held creatures will say things when held.
- Is therea way to interract with underlords other than killing them - You’ll have to wait for the campaign.
- Will there be awesome narratives before each mission - Certainly will be, definitely be more storyline on it, plenty of richard ridings to go around.
- Can people make custom items like Dota2? - You can make skins, items, spells whatever you like.
Will imps be able to walk through walls like in the demo, that’s so OP- Of course we spent a lot of time on that feature (Joke) The reason it happend was there was no pathfinding in the game, the pathfinder did not care about collision it decided it could walk through solid objects.
- Do you plan on having some singleplayer choies in the story, multiple endings to the campaign - Endings to the campaign we’re not sure, the choices we talked about, we’d like to have choice with significantly bigger impact with additional content later, maybe DLC. Something we will be talking about when flex goal starting. Basic idea is you play through and make a choice the most popular choice becomes reality, and creates a short story over time. The campaign may have levels which branch off, but we’re probably going to approach it with bigger levels.
- Can you throw miniions or just drop them - Just drop them, though James does love throwing stuff in Black and white.
- Streams - When Beta starts we’ll be looking to do much more regular streams and much more structured streams.
- Is there a time limit to flex goals? - Once we release the game we’ll begin working on what’s most important to the community, but it’s a longs way off, time limit not yet started sometime after august. There’s a lot to talk about with flex goals, some may not have a limit at all, extra camapigns there might be some stuff that needs to be done sooner rather than later. Talks will start in a few months. We want to present as much information as possible so you and ourselves can make the most informed decisions possible.
- Conflicts between different units - Yes units will interract with one and other.
- Timed missions - Timed missions are really irritating, so stressful, the whole campaign will be timed (45 minutes to complete the whole campaingn) (Joke)
- There will be a unit of similar disposition to horny in WFTO.
- Will the game be serious or comical - A mix of the two, it wont be too serious but it won’t just be grins and giggles.
- Is it possible to tune the game towards more seirousness if you’re not interested in cartoony elemets - We could have an option to disable ambient jokes, we’re not sure why you would but it’s something we could look into.
- Will there be torture rooms - Yes we have at least one torture room.
- What rating is the game - We’ve applied for rating the first question was is there gratiutious violence or torture so we’re probably saying it’s quite high.
- Richard ridings is the main voice for the game, famous for DK and DK2.
- Are there any summoned creatures like DK2 horny? - No just the imp.
- Will there be a casino with great balls of fire - We have much more interesting ways for units to spend their gold.
- Will walls be a viable defensive strategy unlike DK2 - Each wall you run into is a layer of defense you’ll have to break through them using the various tools at disposal.
- Does having walls around rooms improve effectiveness like DK? - Yes
- Will you guys approach the level editor in the same way as Blizzard did in WC3 - That’s pretty much what Dungeoneer is but a lot more.
- Will there be something like potions apart from spells in an alchemical room - The answer is 4- 5 weeks or 3-5 weeks or 3-7 weeks.
- Have you been involved in the development of a game from scratch what was your collective experience bring to avoid post release issues - Yes, we plan to support WFTO for a long time after release.
- Will blood have a room like treasury- No blood is an energy source
- NDAs- The beta will not have any NDA, we will have allow youtube and you can do anything you want with the footage of our games. There are currently NDA for very specific people who have seen very specific things you don’t have to worry about this. There may be an NDA for people who are testing the campaign down the line probably 100 or so people.
- Will each creatures have some sort of energy resource system ,will creatures become less or more powerful based on length of time fighting - Creatures will be cooldown timed, they won’t have a secondary resources , some units will be come more powerful based on length of time fighting. No units will snowball negatively.
- The game is 18+ rated.
- How in depth will the creatures spells be- They will range from simple to relatively complex, units will need to work automonously, but not in a way that will upset the player, we need to make sure that the player doesn’t feel they should be doing something else, e.g. a unit that has a healing form or tank form, you drop the unit in but can do 2 different things, how does the unit know what it should do. So we’re avoiding to have units do things that could not be what the player wants them to do but they will definitely do interesting things especially with each other.
- Will there be talents - This is basically the veins of evil, There are 3, Wrath is very aggressive, greed is late game focussed, Sloth is about turtling, sit behind your defenses. It’s all about your playstyle. It’s on a very high level a rock paper scissors, if your focus on wrath you’ll beat a player that focusses on greed, if you focus on greed you’ll beat a player focussing on sloth, if you focus on sloth you’ll beat someone focusing on greed. You will be able to invest into multiple trees, so you can diversify your tactics, it’s going to provide a backbone to the game for pacing. In DK1 & 2 there was very little choice in strategy, in multiplayer what do you do? Rush portal, build combat pit, build sentry traps all this was available from start of game. So the pacing was very off, the veins of evil force a player to make meanigful decisions for each match and there are many ways to approach how to play the game.

MzpydUh.gif