The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Messier-31

I seem to be in the minority but apart from that god awful Kraken battle I really liked Witcher 2's combat. So long as CDP have made encounters more diverse both in what the player is doing and how the enemy attacks I think it will work out better than a complete overhaul. For me anyway  :grin: .

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 1

I seem to be in the minority but apart from that god awful Kraken battle I really liked Witcher 2's combat. So long as CDP have made encounters more diverse both in what the player is doing and how the enemy attacks I think it will work out better than a complete overhaul. For me anyway  :grin: .

I liked the combat too.  It has room for improvement, but I thought it was a massive step up from TW1.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Nope you aren't alone, I thought the combat was fine

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I liked the combat too.  It has room for improvement, but I thought it was a massive step up from TW1.

To be fair I thought highly of the combat in The Witcher 1 too; The potions and coatings were a really nice strategic element and although games like dragon age have tried to use similar systems both before and after, they've never managed to make it feel as important, practical or especially fun when you can just hit things with a big sword and  do everything else with magic. I guess that was one of the big advantages of not being able to play a proper spellcaster in a fantasy RPG for a change, they took a lot of the things that you'd be able to use freely like buffs and crowed control and put a monetary value on it, so rather than just throwing those things out in combat you always had to decide if it was worth using a coat or grenade or what-not. Witcher 2 did have a lot of crafting options too mind you but I found much less need for them once I cleared the first act. 

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 1

It was visually very impressive but once you took out the tendrils there was an annoying "what the hell do I do now?" moment that had a lot of people repeating the entire fight over several times because it's not clear you have to head to the left. I know people knock sign-posting but seriously, I'd have a appreciated a literal sign-post for that battle. 

• Like 1

I preferred Witcher 1's combat myself, that is a rarity, heh. I just prefer the fancy pirouetting with the group style (and the styles in general).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It was visually very impressive but once you took out the tendrils there was an annoying "what the hell do I do now?" moment that had a lot of people repeating the entire fight over several times because it's not clear you have to head to the left. I know people knock sign-posting but seriously, I'd have a appreciated a literal sign-post for that battle. 

Google is your friend.

Also, the kraken battle was awesome.

It has a QTE and you think its awesome?

That should be illegal.

You could turn QTEs off at the options menu.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

The QTEs in the Kraken fight I could live with, trying to climb that piece of destroyed bridge, on the other hand...

conan-hulking-out.gif

That's the main reason I never tried Insane Mode, because I knew damn well I would die at least once trying to get up to the top of that bridge section.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Google is your friend.

That should be illegal.

Why am I only hearing about this now!?  :bat:

Do you have any idea how many hours I wasted on the freaking octopus? Oh my god, I'm going to be sick.

Edited by Serrano

Guest Slinky

That should be illegal.

The very existence of QTE's demand righteous vengeance and blood and thunder.

Edit: My ability to screw up quotes demands righteous vengeance and blood and thunder. Maybe even victory at sea.

Edited by Slinky

Have there been any actual *gameplay* videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt91NLt6mEU

Thought we'd all seen the debut gameplay trailer, wasn't there a locked thread about it in which your good self commented Drudanae?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Google is your friend.

Yeah I admit I used a video to find the strategy on how to beat the kraken :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I actually preferred Witcher 1 combat to W2. It was simply clicking at the right times, but the three different styles and the two different swords along with the use of potions and spells made it fun. Also Geralt felt powerful, even when you weren't directly controlling his every movement. When he fought against several opponents and went into this dizzying animation with heads flying off, I could really see him as a master swordsman. From what I've gathered playing the games, Geralt is one of the best swordsmen in the Witcher world. 

In W2 and I've said this before, overall controls felt unresponsive and unpredictable. I also hated the constant rolling around mechanic as a defensive movement. It took away from the Geralt's great swordsman persona. I had much more fun just using magic. 

I'm all for action combat so if CDP can a more responsive system with better parry/counter systems I'm all for it. 

I actually preferred Witcher 1 combat to W2. It was simply clicking at the right times, but the three different styles and the two different swords along with the use of potions and spells made it fun. Also Geralt felt powerful, even when you weren't directly controlling his every movement. When he fought against several opponents and went into this dizzying animation with heads flying off, I could really see him as a master swordsman. From what I've gathered playing the games, Geralt is one of the best swordsmen in the Witcher world. 

In W2 and I've said this before, overall controls felt unresponsive and unpredictable. I also hated the constant rolling around mechanic as a defensive movement. It took away from the Geralt's great swordsman persona. I had much more fun just using magic. 

I'm all for action combat so if CDP can a more responsive system with better parry/counter systems I'm all for it. 

I liked W1 combat better too. It felt more RPG'y and less messy than the W2 clickety click fest (which wasn't bad per say, but... meh).

I've been out of the loop for some time now so I don't know what (or if) they've talked about their plans on this regard, but I strongly suspect they're not going back to W1 style combat; so I kinda hope they take a few pages from the melee combat of Risen (and probably even Gothic 2).

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Personally I wouldn't be averse to the developers shamelessly pinching the combat system of Severance: Blade of Darkness, still the best combat system i've ever experienced in a game.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Personally I wouldn't be averse to the developers shamelessly pinching the combat system of Severance: Blade of Darkness, still the best combat system i've ever experienced in a game.

I think they are, or something similar. Citing fighting games as an influence is a good sign. And everyone whinging over the Kayren? Come on guys. Operator, that was a real fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicNSILp57c

Guest Slinky

Hah, I've finished Severance twice as knight and once as barbarian and loved every second of it.

Yet I have never even finished the first map as amazon, because I hated it. Go figure.

Amazon's broken really, her roll is far too effective and once you've unlocked a certain attack you don't need anything else for the rest of the game, the map is quite interesting in terms of the story and level design however. I'd prefer the gameplay of Tukaram, and that includes locking on, strafing and backpedalling the same as every character which were sorely missing from the second Witcher, that would have improved the games combat immeasurebly in my eyes.

Personally my favourite is the dwarf, but that would just not suit Geralt's fighting style.

Tea for the teapot!

Amazon whirlwind attack actually becomes obsolete pretty quickly. Far more effective to use special combo of every new weapon you find.

It seems Knight is supposed to be the 'canon' playthrough since he can use the Ianna sword to its full potential.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.