RANDOM VIDEA GAME NEWS!

Rosbjerg

I think mods are overstated personally, but it could just be personal bias since I use them so infrequently.

It is personal bias, the modding community is huge and they can enrich your gameplay exponentially. 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

It's just the same pattern as we always see. When a new generation of consoles arrives, a lot of games are sold for them and PC gaming is declared to be dying.

Then as the years pass and the console hardware becomes outdated, the PC rises from the ashes and becomes more and more popular again.

It is personal bias, the modding community is huge and they can enrich your gameplay exponentially.

Just how big is it and what percentage of total users of a game mod their games?

It depends on the game, but for some games, like the Elder Scrolls games and NWN/NWN2, Modding has helped drive sales and keep games alive for much longer than their original campaigns would. And then there's the ones like Black Mesa, mods that turn into games in their own right. 

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I really only install mods that are unofficial patch's like Sawyer's New Vegas patch, Wesp's VtMB patch, DirectX 9 shader for UT/Deus Ex, etc... but to demonstrate the importance of mods to PC gaming, just look at Counter-Strike, DOTA, and DayZ. In terms of multiplayer FPS I do interact with mods a bit more, mods keep those communities alive with variety, ASMD instagib or gun game servers are mods.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

...Wesp's VtMB...

The basic or the advanced? Because the advanced changes things a good bit - or at least it did last time I tried it. But, sadly, there's not really a better option.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Just how big is it and what percentage of total users of a game mod their games?

It depends on the game, but for some games, like the Elder Scrolls games and NWN/NWN2, Modding has helped drive sales and keep games alive for much longer than their original campaigns would. And then there's the ones like Black Mesa, mods that turn into games in their own right. 

I'm aware of those.  It's not what I asked.

I'm aware of those.  It's not what I asked.

Thats a difficult one to answer as there is no real research as far as I know , but I would say at least 30 % of PC gamers Mod there game in some sort or another

Personally I have only ever used  Mods on Bethesda games because they are just so damn good. And I do use Mods on any GOG RPG that says it fixes the game, like Planescape which is what I am playing now. But thats not the same thing as Modding the game for enhancements, like improved monster AI or increased spawning.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, it should make the life of Piraters very hard :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If this is true, and I think it's very likely, Microsoft knows Sony is doing this too. Requiring the internet (not necessarily always on though) and locking discs to accounts to prevent resale, account sharing, and piracy was always going to happen. They're probably going to sweeten the deal a bit, at least initially, it will be interesting what they'll give away as a loss leader. Without a second hand market they could decrease prices a bit, depending on if that translates into increased sales. What they should have to do is replace discs that are lost or broken, with a minimal fee of postage, packing, and the price of manufacture.

I'm more inclined to think that the result of it will be that you do not get files working on the console, but you get activation key for the game and work with it via a cloud. If it requires a constant internet connection, I do not see, why would the cloud model not be implemented along with it. The problem might be with bandwidth transfer limits. It potentially could solve much of memory issues with consoles. Well I guess lets wait and see...

Worlds Collide: Valve And JJ Abrams Working On Movie

JJ Abrams is involved in lowest common denominator bull**** that doesn't go anywhere. I didn't like the direction they went with Portal 2 so I don't really give a crap where they go with that, but I'd rather Abrams not touch the Half-Life series because I would like to enjoy Half-Life 3. Nothing good will come of this.

Abrams seems to have a lot of fanboys, so he can't be all that bad.  And hey, lens flare was still big when Half Life was released, no ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So in your universe, Half-Life is some sort of high end storytelling and LOST is lowest common denominator drivel?

In some ways Half-Life as a series has been the highest end of storytelling in games, it's not perfect obviously, and there was much improvement from Half-Life to Half-Life 2.

In your universe LOST was not a pile of ****?

So in your universe, Half-Life is some sort of high end storytelling and LOST is lowest common denominator drivel?

In some ways Half-Life as a series has been the highest end of storytelling in games, it's not perfect obviously, and there was much improvement from Half-Life to Half-Life 2.

Lost was captivating and intricate, I have never watched a TV series through the years that made me think about the plot as much as Lost. It was an excellent TV series.

Maybe you didn't understand what the series was about Ocelot? Thats what I found was the reason most of the time when people said they didn't like Lost, it was based on there general confusion with the show. Don't feel bad if thats the reason,  many people didn't get it.

• Like 1

John Milton 

French artiste' extraordinaire with that Anglo stage name David CAGE rants about the game industry refusing to grow up - again. DICE 2013 speech.

And also gives advice on how to solve this conundrum. I liked this one best:

"Establish new relationships with Hollywood. Related to the idea above, he wants to see actors, smart creative people bringing their talents to games. And he thinks that the filmmaking masters of linear storytelling could collaborate with game designers to make a new kind of medium."

Yeah Dave. Because the game industry only has dumb****s and we need these "smart" people from movies to show them peasant game industry rednecks how to create great stories!

If this guy was only half as ignorant as he is, would he still have ever heard of MCA, Tim Schafer, Shelton Pasccoti, Mark Laidlaw, and even Ken Levine and the supa-duo of Arkane? 'Cause these guys understand quite some more about interactive storytelling than you ever will, David.

Carry on. I still like what you're trying to achieve, but you don't have to be so dickish about it. And good luck with that insolvency process of QD when your next "game" becomes a flop.

LOST is fantastic, but I understand some people didn't enjoy it.  What I don't get is putting Half-Life on a pedestal.  It is a great shooter with very good cinematics worked into the game, but it's a pretty meh story.  It's definitely not original in any way, which can't be said about LOST.

• Like 1