Gorth

Today was the fifth birthday of my father since he died, we(mom, sis and I) decided to celebrate by going to our family(my father's family) on the other end of the country, eat cake and reminisce. In other words, a fun day with the family.

Hi JFSOCC

Sounds like a nice day,  but can I ask you a question? You say you celebrate his death through a birthday, don't you mean a remembrance or do you really mean a birthday. What culture is that or rather what religion? I am interested :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Today was the fifth birthday of my father since he died, we(mom, sis and I) decided to celebrate by going to our family(my father's family) on the other end of the country, eat cake and reminisce. In other words, a fun day with the family.

Hi JFSOCC

Sounds like a nice day,  but can I ask you a question? You say you celebrate his death through a birthday, don't you mean a remembrance or do you really mean a birthday. What culture is that or rather what religion? I am interested :)

I do pretty much the same in that regard for my mom. If I do anything anymore (it's been 12 years) I'll celebrate her on her birthday and not the day that she died. I'm not religious at all and I'd say my family is more spiritual than religious.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Hi JFSOCC

I do pretty much the same in that regard for my mom. If I do anything anymore (it's been 12 years) I'll celebrate her on her birthday and not the day that she died. I'm not religious at all and I'd say my family is more spiritual than religious.

Okay I see what you are saying. I have never heard of this before but it makes sense on many levels. 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I drank too much and tried figuring out supporting cast for this novel I've been stuck on. I discovered I can't tell the difference between Irish Whiskey and Tennessee Whiskey.

The novel I'm working on has squat for real supporting cast, which I realized is probably the big problem I have with it. One guy running around doing stuff with nobody to bounce off of is just kind of dull. I mean, I have a partner character, but am holding off on bringing him in until a third of the way through and the client doesn't do anything. So there needs to be some roles fulfilled.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Woke from some strange and vivid dreams about trying to find a psychotic professor in a Warhammer 40k university. A lil on the weird side. Now my day is feeling ever so slightly off-kilter as I drink tea and try to nudge my mind back onto poking at stakeholder requirements.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

A Warhammer 40k University would be pretty awesome, with the rampant theocracy and techonology treated as a religion.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hi JFSOCC

My father was and his family is catholic. Churchgoing family. There was a special mass in which his name was mentioned in the church of his home town, but since I've been to the previous four I didn't care to sit in a church bench waiting for a passing mention of his name, so I missed the mass. I'm not religious, so it has no significance for me.

And pretty much what shadysands said. Also it's a good excuse to strengthen bonds with our family on his side.

I drank too much and tried figuring out supporting cast for this novel I've been stuck on. I discovered I can't tell the difference between Irish Whiskey and Tennessee Whiskey.

The novel I'm working on has squat for real supporting cast, which I realized is probably the big problem I have with it. One guy running around doing stuff with nobody to bounce off of is just kind of dull. I mean, I have a partner character, but am holding off on bringing him in until a third of the way through and the client doesn't do anything. So there needs to be some roles fulfilled.

I run into that problem as well, because I refuse to add characters for the sake of other characters. Maybe that's why I haven't progressed writing either.

I hope you managed to put something on paper.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

The better part of research, i.e. looking at 1930's toy mail order catalogues:

"What a treat to be able to wash your Dolly's clothes! You can have washdays whenever you wish - and can keep all your Dollies looking 'spick-and-span!' This set has bright green and white enameled wash tub, wooden wash bench, 11 in. wash board, clothes reel giving 4 ft. of line, 12 clothes pins in little muslin bag, woven clothes basket 11 1/2x 7 1/2 x 4 1/2 in. with handles, ironing board with folding stand, and clever little nickel plated 'Sunny Suzie' iron, 4 x 2 1/4 in. $1.98."

Good deal.

They don't taste ANYTHING alike. Unless you bout the cheap stuff. Try a shot of Jameson then a shot of Knob Creek. You will notive the difference. Jameson is dry with a crisp bite. Knob Creek is smoky & smooth with a sweet after taste.

As for writing, stick to non-fiction. Just easier that way!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

They don't taste ANYTHING alike.

Discriminating taste is bought with experience. Mine is limited.

Try a shot of Jameson then a shot of Knob Creek. You will notive the difference. Jameson is dry with a crisp bite. Knob Creek is smoky & smooth with a sweet after taste.

I'm used to Jack Daniels. I bought Jameson. I can't tell you the difference. The concept of it having bite, let alone the bite having some sort of ancillary descriptor, is completely lost on me.

Had one of the most embarrassing evenings in my life.

do tell :)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

They don't taste ANYTHING alike.

Discriminating taste is bought with experience. Mine is limited.

>Try a shot of Jameson then a shot of Knob Creek. You will notive the difference. Jameson is dry with a crisp bite. Knob Creek is smoky & smooth with a sweet after taste.

I'm used to Jack Daniels. I bought Jameson. I can't tell you the difference. The concept of it having bite, let alone the bite having some sort of ancillary descriptor, is completely lost on me.

To tell the truth I'm not a big fan of JD. I find it harsh, sort like a medicinal taste. And you did say Tennessee Whisky and Knob Creek is bourbon. They are different things. Sort of like how pilsner is different from ale.

Just curious, are you imbibing to break a writers block or is this character research?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Tried catching up on some months' worth of Sinfest I missed, yeah that was a brilliant idea.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just curious, are you imbibing to break a writers block or is this character research?

Boredom. I do some drinking every few months (I think it's been over a year in this case) just to see if I can understand the subtleties of alcohol better.

But that does remind me, I have some character research to do on this very subject.

Stressed over my current future of driving for 40 minutes to an hour to get into a CC class, so I can get back into college.

Plus my health insurance

Plus drama at my job that I had no hand in (well, recently. I accidently stirred some crap up but have been staying away) but am being blamed for

And finally, I apparently have blood coming out my backside. Not much, but that and the small amount of abdominal pain has me thinking I'm probably gonna call a doctor if/when I ever get the time.

But nothing can happen because I've got a class for work that I have to wake up for in four hours, but this BS at work has me so wound up I can't sleep. Delightful.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

How... do you have blood coming out your backside? Maybe that should take precedence over the other stuff... unless the health insurance business screws that up?

Writing a short paper, trying to wrap it up before it gets to 3am. 

I dont' know. I just know I can't miss my training that's happening this week. I'll probably find myself a quick check up friday/saturday from a doc at the nearby clinic. I have insurance, but I don't know how far it goes.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Depends - external is a little less dire than internal, I believe.

Hemorrhoids and anal fistulas aren't in the same league as colorectal cancer or ulcerative colitis.  The former usually inconvenient and solvable by surgeries, the latter needing more significant actions.

Doctor's visits in order though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

TIL Anal fistulas are a thing.

---

I suppose he may have over wiped. I sure wish I hadnt Googled anal fistulas. :(

There are some things man is not meant to google....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

You'd think the term "anal fistula" would pretty much tell you that you probably don't want to google it.  Or at least turn off images when you search for it on WebMD or something.  Or look up the medical term "fistula" and assume the other part applies the location of the fistula...

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Jesus christ, head to the doctor already. Bleeding in itself can be nothing, but bleeding + abdominal pain could be life-threatening if you're really unlucky.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy