For RP/customization sake, please allow us to keep the same "armor/weapon" look if we want for new euqipment.

This isn't dress up. Christ.

I don't think people want to play dress-up.

I do think people like to be able to give their characters a "certain look" when they create them to greater or lesser degrees.

That was one of the huge problems DA2 had and a reason why so many people complained. So if you want to do that go and play DA2.

As I recall, one of the problems in DA2 was precisely the opposite. The customization, especially for companions, was minimal.

Was there something I missed?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I do think people like to be able to give their characters a "certain look" when they create them to greater or lesser degrees.

That was one of the huge problems DA2 had and a reason why so many people complained. So if you want to do that go and play DA2.

As I recall, one of the problems in DA2 was precisely the opposite. The customization, especially for companions, was minimal.

Not really. Yes there was no customization because for the sake of this argument. They did not want to lose the special look they had so they had no armor at all and so the look only changed through the story or better these time skips.

Seems like that is playing dress up, though. Who's to say the gear will be vastly different looking, as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

i thought in DA2 the problem was that even if you equipped new armor, the characters look did NOT change. it made 0 sense

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Not really. Yes there was no customization because for the sake of this argument. They did not want to lose the special look they had so they had no armor at all and so the look only changed through the story or better these time skips.
That's the developers wanting a certain look for characters and losing out on even equipment customization. Here people are wanting the players to be able to find their own looks without losing out on equipment customization.

What DA2 did is far from here.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

People keep saying this, have you ever TRIED it? Go ahead, play through an rpg with the starting armor/low level items, never upgrade it, see how far you get.

It's not an option "not to wear it" except within a few small levels.

Like it or not armor is something you have to upgrade (Within reason) in rpgs, you can't just "not wear" armor you don't like if it's a lot better, especially if you are playing on the harder difficulty.

Wrong.

It's an option. You just don't want to take it because you don't like the consequences.

Secondly, you are assumign the difference in armor will be so huge that the "normal" armors will be rendered useless. Plate and Plate +1. Not really a deal breaker, is it? So you can "not wear" the best armor in game. Did it in many games before. Beat the games.

Thirdly, you assume there won't be any better armors that look "good".

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

That'ts the problem, it took the choice from the player, which is the opposite of what this is about. It's about giving the choice to the player to determine if they would want to keep a look or change it.

IN DA2 you couldn't, hell you couldn't even choose a race anymore, and companions , forget that.

That's the developers wanting a certain look for characters and losing out on even equipment customization. Here people are wanting the players to be able to find their own looks without losing out on equipment customization.

No its basically the same. If you want to switch to better armor or more expensive one you should see it in some certain aspects. If there are special or armors through the game which I hope there will be. Your appearance should also change and maybe even unlock new traits or a advanced job class.

Again if you want to play a Paladin and stay true to it. Do not wear this "evil" Armor.

Seems like that is playing dress up, though. Who's to say the gear will be vastly different looking, as well.

When I posted my thread on crafting to alter/fit armour or clothes to different characters, there was a post that presented the idea as a "Barbie dress up" - ie that dressing ones character up was the important part of the game. Hence why I said I didn't think it would be dress up as that's what I took you to mean.

Odds are the looks will be different but probably not strikingly different (being an isometric game unless they give you a vanity view on the character sheet).

I thought they didn't have the NPCs have altering looks with equipment so that they wouldn't have to bother with that part of development since it was a stunted dev cycle. Mind you I wasn't kicking around the BSN any longer so may have had the wrong impression

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You're and adventurer/wanderer (whatever the background will be) on a life-changing quest due to an apopalyptic event -- if you are truly roleplaying the character, do you really think your appearance is a priority on any level in that situation?

You are not 'FORCED' to wear any armor. If the armor you come across is not to your liking, there will always be more down the road.

Really, just let them make us a great crpg without all the modern fluff people have become all too accustomed to in recent years. They know what they're doing - have a little faith that they can deliver what's best for the world their creating.

People keep saying this, have you ever TRIED it? Go ahead, play through an rpg with the starting armor/low level items, never upgrade it, see how far you get.

Like it or not armor is something you have to upgrade (Within reason) in rpgs, you can't just "not wear" armor you don't like if it's a lot better, especially if you are playing on the harder difficulty.

How is it taking the roleplaying out? To me it seems to be doing the opposite. Your paladin for example.

Instead of being able to upgrade his "paladin" armor which fits his character you instead are FORCED to wear the "black/evil" looking armor or to have to be extremely underpowered and constantly dying to higher diffculty/level enemies that drop you fast because your armor is underleveled for that point in the game.

MEanwhile if you had this ability, you could "keep" the look of your paladin and not be forced to wear items that is out of character for him, BUT you wouldn't be "underpowered" or penalized for doing so.

did you ever actually play the infinity engine games?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

hate this idea, it takes all the roleplaying out and substitutes in some dress up options.

"my good paladin would not wear evil looking armor, but this new plate i just found is made from black dragon scales and has evil markings of Yog Sothoth carved into it. Good thing i have this handy magic button that makes this new plate armor look exactly like Noble Griffindor Plate of Holiness so no one will know i secretly am wearing evil armor because i want the + to my melee damage."

if your character wouldnt wear evil looking plate mail, don't wear it. stand by your own convictions. if your character is super vain and just doesnt like a better armor option because "this one is ugly" then maybe your character isn't cut out to be an adventurer...

How is it taking the roleplaying out? To me it seems to be doing the opposite. Your paladin for example.

Instead of being able to upgrade his "paladin" armor which fits his character you instead are FORCED to wear the "black/evil" looking armor or to have to be extremely underpowered and constantly dying to higher diffculty/level enemies that drop you fast because your armor is underleveled for that point in the game.

MEanwhile if you had this ability, you could "keep" the look of your paladin and not be forced to wear items that is out of character for him, BUT you wouldn't be "underpowered" or penalized for doing so.

Is there any game where you had to wear "evil armour" to succeed? Are Paladins really suppose to care about their looks that much? If evil armour less evil if you paint it white? Why do you even care what your character looks like? Paladins probably won't be included in the game.

In many rpgs the higher lv armor could have "spikes/skull" motif's on higher lv armor (Because to many people that look is "Cool.").

The Paladin was his example, I was merely using it as a reverse point of how it would likely play out in an rpg.

Why would be out of character for anyone to wear armour with fancy ornaments. You don't automatically become evil when you wear spiky armour and I doubt anyone would care. If you thing your character care about stuff like looks use different armor, if you think he prefers practicality use spiky one. Role-playing when the game world doesn't care is just larping. You could argue that fighting naked should be a sensible choice because your think your character feels limited by wearing clothes.

You're and adventurer/wanderer (whatever the background will be) on a life-changing quest due to an apopalyptic event -- if you are truly roleplaying the character, do you really think your appearance is a priority on any level in that situation?

If the narrative is developed over multiple days...then yeah, I think the PC and NPCs could care about a whole lot of things which might include their appearance.

That's dress up isn't it?

As mentioned above, I saw "dress up" as meaning that the OP was suggesting that the game be Project Eternity: Fashion Show.

I think there's a difference in wanting a character to look a bit like their portrait and wanting to try out outfits for hours.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Serious question for you.

I brought up Storm of Zehir earlier. Specifically how my main character picked up a Batiri mask which looks hilarious and ridiculous but has great stat enhancements which fit perfectly for my character. Would you not think your own character, were he or she real, would prefer utility over looks in an environment where one's own survival is tenuous due to their hostile surroundings?

Serious question for you.

I brought up Storm of Zehir earlier. Specifically how my main character picked up a Batiri mask which looks hilarious and ridiculous but has great stat enhancements which fit perfectly for my character. Would you not think your own character, were he or she real, would prefer utility over looks in an environment where one's own survival is tenuous due to their hostile surroundings?

Of course they would in the real world. Also in the real world "armor/weapons" wouldn't have stats either, it would be a skill-based system where the person with the higher skill/trianing would easily beat someone , even if that person had better equipment then him/her.

However for the game, with this system the beauty of it is that you don't have to make that choice. You can get that mask that you think looks bad on your character, and in turn replace the model with one that looks right/fits your character and not be underpowered.

This is all just my opinion though, and it's nothing that would have to be forced on anyone, if you don't want to have to make the trade off and want to wear the mask you can.

Meanwhile those of us who would like to upgrade our equipment but be able to keep our characters looking reasonable/how we think looks best, could, without being penalized for making such a choice.

I'm going to be honest...

I love the idea. I really do. It's something I jumped all over when it was introduced to EverQuest II (Seriously... raiders looked like hobo's with their mis-matched armour... and some of the level 50-60 weapons looked cool but outright DIDN'T WORK on Level 80+ mobs) but I'm not entirely sure it's appropriate for this game.

A very small customization option, like armour dye, I could get behind though. That works nicely in Diablo 3... especially the vanishing dye. I love using that on helmets.

Meanwhile those of us who would like to upgrade our equipment but be able to keep our characters looking reasonable/how we think looks best, could, without being penalized for making such a choice.

And you think this is important enough that developers of a game in which strategy is FAR more important than cosmetic fluffery should spend their time on such a thing?

Nah, leave that in MMO's. Perhaps you could have smiths design you armour however, for an arm and a leg, that matched your visual preferences. But no magically transforming plate mail option.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I believe this is a meaningless and useless feature.

That said, provided that it is optional and there is sufficient time to add it in I don't see the harm.

Cosmetics should never be a priority; substance is key.

Edited by Jasede
  • Like 1

And you think this is important enough that developers of a game in which strategy is FAR more important than cosmetic fluffery should spend their time on such a thing?

I agree with this being low on the priority list, but I really don't think it would take much development time or resources to include.

I have said before in this thread, this is not a huge priority thing. I do not put this ahead of any gameplay related things or story/dialogue. However It's not a huge massive undertaking, or something that would require huge resources.

Plus from a development standpoint, all developers do not work on everything. Just because you have a programmer program this, does not take away from what an artist does or a writer.

Nah, leave that in MMO's. Perhaps you could have smiths design you armour however, for an arm and a leg, that matched your visual preferences. But no magically transforming plate mail option.

Even in MMO's its stupid. You level more and more and still looking like a level 1 char only because you like that attire more. I am sorry but its just stupid. Especially if people use it just to hide their true level.

Different look of armor gives you a form of progression. You actually can see that you look and most likely also are different from before you started your Journey.

Edited by Darji

I suspect many here are going to be sideswiped by reality when they get the game and are suddenly reminded of something the devs have been pointing out to them from the start: Isometric top down view. In the spirit of the IE Games. Meaning, being concerned about the color schemes of the gear that your 2 1/2 inch tall toons are wearing seems to be just one step above utter pointlessness. Unless you have robotic eyes.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1