Sex and Romance Poll

Romance Poll  

530 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Sex/Romance you want to see in the game?

• I want homosexual options of romance\sex
    • I want male filled testosterone kind of sex/romance, lots of cleavage and hot girls
    • I want a more Intellectual kind of sex\romance, with lots of interesting dialogue, quests and well behaved characters
    • None of the above
    • All of the above except for the 4 option

It really depends on the plot of the game, in Baldurs gate romance sub plot actualy work in Fallout new Vegas it would not and I am really happy that they didnt put it there.

I am really not sure what to chose, but if you make romances do NOT make it like in Dragon age where you romance only to get sex scene its really shallow and annoying in modern cRpgs, in Baldurs gate I romance because it was a way to roleplay a character and even with slightly annoying character like Aerie it was okay, because again it was way of roleplaying character equal to that of making bannters with minsc. [okay is it only me that feel that at least in one goal there will be , we will put minsc expy ?)

Over all more than romances I want to have interesting bannters with every character in team if there will be no bannters that I dont want silly little chats just to try weasel in to pants of romance option.

What I want is for Obsidian and the folk making the game to do what they want. What fits their talents and what fits their characters and the story they are telling. Saying none of this and must have/must not have in this area doesn't seem fitting I want to see what Obsidian makes when they aren't given a list by a publisher of do's and don'ts

Obsidian can write great romance. I just happen to think that romantic notions and tendencies work very well with fantasy settings.

Romance is good, it improves the story. It was excellent in BG2.

exactly. do it like in baldurs gate 2 and it will be perfect.

Although maybe not the elf-baby inventory item.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

None. I have no problems with the idea, but the implementation in pretty much every video game has sucked. A lot.

As long as the romance doesn't feel forced (Both in that you feel forced to do the romance line to get further in the story, or a companion leaving if the romance option isn't followed, and forced as in "not well written"), I am all for the option.

Homesuality and other sexualities is no problem, but I feel that making every damn companion bi is just silly. Make someone exclusively gay, some exclusively straight and a few bi, or it might become as awkward as in Dragon Age II.

Romance is good, it improves the story. It was excellent in BG2.

exactly. do it like in baldurs gate 2 and it will be perfect.

Although maybe not the elf-baby inventory item.

Agreed. Leave that stuff for epilogue. BG2 did romances decently. Better than most of the games actually. But it is in no way the ultimate way to handle romances. If Obsidian does include them, it's gonna be interesting to see how they handle them and to what extent they will allow them to influence the main plot.

On a side note, I wonder how much time before we get a comment form Obsidian representative about this, since it seems to be a hot topic around here.

Edited by Exseed

Why not make it a transsexual visual novel for that matter? And please remove all the RPG elements, it's boring.

Define "RPG elements".

I'm pretty sure "role-playing" could be an essential part of the experience, and when you're role-playing as a hero out on adventures with people s-/he potentially grows close with... Yeah.

And, really, visual novels--in my limited experience--tend to be fairly stripped-down RPGs, mechanically, so it's not like those mechanics have no place in an RPG.

Thank you, captain obvious.

Oh, gee, that sure made you sound like a smart person with a well-presented argument.

Maybe next time you can simply refrain from replying when you don't have anything to add?

Something stirs within...

I don't feel strongly about having romance in the game in general, and typically I don't think video games handle such things well, but if there is some, I'd prefer the notion of #3, which is what I voted. :) I'd rather have something subtle, interesting, relevant to characters/story and more emotionally in-depth than just hitting the sack with a prostitute for a roll in the hay between boss fights.

Or, in terms of sex alone, if it's played largely for humor during a quest resolution option....for instance, that optional bit with Benny in New Vegas, if your character was female, had me rolling. Stuff like that I like. But maybe that's because I have a twisted sense of humor.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I am happy for sex/romances to be in the game, but I would like something along the lines of Jheria Plot-line from BG2 and not something trashy which I consider some of the scenes in Mass Effect to be. So, basically, for me.. yes please, but no trashy and for it to have context. If its a companion plot line, then expand on it further than just cuddling up to a fire place. I think I am just in love with how it was done with BG2 to be honest... I miss those days :(

My favorite RPG romance option ever is actually Visas Marr. Because nothing happens during the game. It is clear that she does have fairly strong feelings towards you and you're able to treat her well in response and make some comments to other characters indicating that you're on board with the idea, but it builds up very slowly and never has that "Oh my God, I love you!" moment. Even at the "climax", when she asks to sit with you before Malachor and the two of you look upon eachother, it's just something which is very subtle and emotional. Much, much better than all these Bioware romances where you have X talks with someone and then get in their pants.

Edited by FreezingShock
  • Like 3

Oh, gee, that sure made you sound like a smart person with a well-presented argument.

Maybe next time you can simply refrain from replying when you don't have anything to add?

Is this the school of role playing where Gears of War is an RPG where you play the role of gritty steroid addict? Because I have heard about that. Listen, it does not matter that some VN might have limited stats and some branching (although it does matter that lately they have more stats and branching than most wRPGs) - that does not make them traditional cRPGs. Romances might have started as an aside to adventure but lately they have evolved into the main focus and while it's true that it might not be the case here it's better not to take the chance and to sacrifice them on the altar of more quests. Also they tend to summon a certain sort of... fans.

• Like 1

Say no to popamole!

I'm not sure where the naked hostility towards romances stems...But romances and romantic content, or love stories, is an important tool for storytelling, and can add considerable affect to a story that increases the player's engagement with it. When done right.

When done wrong, it's bad, tacky, and pointless, yes. But having experienced this kind of content from the people developping Project Eternity, I think it's pretty likely that's not going to happen.

If we're talking about mature, deep story and interactions, I can't see how it won't involve romance or affection in some form or another. It's not a question of whether it should be there, because that's how human relations work. You embark on a huge journey with female companions, endure hardships together, share joyful moments without a notion of interest in them? It's about how Obsidian will illustrate all this. People might be disappointed it wouldn't be done BG2 style, but the romance may still be there.

And the poll results are quite predictable, 50-50. Not counting the 5th option though.

Edited by Exseed

I'm not sure where the naked hostility towards romances stems...But romances and romantic content, or love stories, is an important tool for storytelling, and can add considerable affect to a story that increases the player's engagement with it. When done right.

When done wrong, it's bad, tacky, and pointless, yes. But having experienced this kind of content from the people developping Project Eternity, I think it's pretty likely that's not going to happen.

I think typically the complaint is that video game narratives aren't currently robust enough to build a truly nuanced romance and that too often romance is "right dialogue choices + timing = sexzor scene" in terms of gameplay.

That said, I think most relationships in games are essentially the same sort of thing (with some exceptions), so personally I'm not necessarily against romances even understanding that at the moment gaming really can't handle them with much "realism".

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I liked the way it was done in Torment, and I agree with FreezingShock, the best romances are those which aren't explicit. I'd rather have romances build up, as additional tension building to a climax at the end, rather than have a romance consumated mid game and then deal with with how to keep the relationship, which would IMO be more annoying to play.

Actually now that I think about it, I'm convinced that no matter what romance options exist or don't exist for the PC there really should be more party-members and other important characters in the game who have romantic relationships that aren't with the PC. In a non-modern setting in some way relatable to real world history, being a single adult should actually be pretty unusual.

Edited by limaxophobiacq

I like the option of having intellectual romance for anyone who wants them

Those who dislike them should be able to just ignore it, no?

What prevents your character from ignoring the non intellectual romances? I can accept the "Limited resources" argument to ask for no romances, as it can be valid. But implying that only the intellectual romances can be ignored? Nope.

Also, the poll options are so so. So you can be 1) gay, 2) macho sex, 3) femsex?, 4) 'the other options are "Meh" to me', 5) Give me 1), 2) and 3), please!

So I cannot vote. :p

why is romance in RPGs so hated when It is a fact of life?

It plays a part in almost all deep human examinations and in EVERYONES life. Whether tragic happy or hopeless love happens to pretty much everyone. An RPG without any, almost does not make sense (especially one that takes place over a matter of years and the characters in questions are adults). Yeah sure it would not be appropriate for EVERY GAME to have it, say something that may take place over a matter of days or an fps or puzzle game, yeah no romance is necessary obviously. But a game taking place in a mature world that is attempting to tackle tough life questions? Kinda difficult to ignore love there. Something like Torment where the romance plots are subtle and inherently tragic is ok too, but to say you want no romance whatsoever in a game, because it is not manly, or games don't do it right usually, or because you are a prude or whatever the reason is just makes no sense to me if you want a truly deep gaming experience that has the grand scope and asks the human questions that great RPG's do.

Most romances are completely juvenile, oversexualized, and shallow in video games just as they are in the life of a highschooler (where many video gamers and designers seem to perpetually exist long afterwards). I am not asking for that. Nor am I demanding that they be obligatory in all games, or for every playthrough of a game. But to insist games not have them, especially an RPG which is such a story driven experience where you are supposed to get invested in a world that seems real also seams odd to me.

I sincerely hope Project Eternity features romantic entanglements/choices/betrayals and tragedy explored in a mature and realistic way, whether that be going down the muted but effecting path of Torment or the more front and center and exploratory choices featured in Mass Effect, Origins, or Neverwinter Night 2 (though again better executed, not necessarily dependent on sex, and more mature).

Obviously just my opinion, but it really does confuse me when people are so anti romance in a story based rpg game...

• Like 4

If we're talking about mature, deep story and interactions, I can't see how it won't involve romance or affection in some form or another.

Because those two things do not require each other. Romance, in 99% of videogames, especially those companies that focus on romances, is anything but mature, deep and not even very interactive. If anything, the poll's choices show the expectations people have about 'deep romances', which are no less superficial than a pretty people magazine. Hell, I don't think there are even that many Romantic stories, only rampant shipping.

Edited by Delterius

Actually now that I think about it, I'm convinced that no matter what romance options exist or don't exist for the PC there really should be more party-members and other important characters in the game who have romantic relationships that aren't with the PC. In a non-modern setting in some way relatable to real world history, being a single adult should actually be pretty unusual.

One thing I liked about BGI was how certain people wouldn't join or stay in your party without certain other people. Yes this led to metagaming with people stripping characters they like and sending them to fight an orc horde with their unarmored body, but that should have just resulted in the other character ditching the group. But it did make me feel like the characters existed outside of their relationship to my character.

Eventually I think games will move to address relationships outside of the player (ie character A is a relationship option but if the relationship is not pursued and character D is in the group, A & D will start a relationship).