Sex and Romance Poll

Romance Poll  

530 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Sex/Romance you want to see in the game?

• I want homosexual options of romance\sex
    • I want male filled testosterone kind of sex/romance, lots of cleavage and hot girls
    • I want a more Intellectual kind of sex\romance, with lots of interesting dialogue, quests and well behaved characters
    • None of the above
    • All of the above except for the 4 option

All of the above. Just like I never pick pocket, steal or assassinate in role-playing games (unless the story "forces" you to), people who don't want to romance can choose not to. :) Don't make it integral to the game, just one more aspect of role-playing, and no one should be upset.

I would like to suggest that the game puts a heavy focus on the relationships of your followers, including optional romantic interests. I have found that the games that include this dynamic with a variable of choices and outcomes to increase "your" personal stake in the game and increase storytelling. I am an avid RPG fan. Past Isometric RPG games seemed not to have a very good follower/Companion storyline. I believe many others would like to see this implemented as well.

A variety of titles have had much success in this department: Star wars:Knights of the Old Republic 1 &2. Mass Effect Series, the witcher 2 and Dragon Age to name a few.

Oh, gee, that sure made you sound like a smart person with a well-presented argument.

Maybe next time you can simply refrain from replying when you don't have anything to add?

Is this the school of role playing where Gears of War is an RPG where you play the role of gritty steroid addict? Because I have heard about that. Listen, it does not matter that some VN might have limited stats and some branching (although it does matter that lately they have more stats and branching than most wRPGs) - that does not make them traditional cRPGs. Romances might have started as an aside to adventure but lately they have evolved into the main focus and while it's true that it might not be the case here it's better not to take the chance and to sacrifice them on the altar of more quests. Also they tend to summon a certain sort of... fans.

Did you miss the part where I talked about role-playing? I thought I was obviously referring back to PnP RPGs, and the various attempts to emulate them in video games.

I only mentioned VNs having RPG mechanics because of the vague and hyperbolic nature of gongal's post. And you may want to note that he never did try to define what he meant by RPG elements, but rather thought an immature insult would suffice as a substitute.

Lastly, I dare say I haven't seen an RPG where romance was the main focus... unless you count Final Fantasy VIII, but that's questionable both whether one considers it an RPG and if its love story can be considered romantic in nature. Plus, it's from 1999, so it's not exactly "lately".

Something stirs within...

And what about " lots of muscles and hot guys- kind of romance" option for girls??? :p I just want to play female character with harem of hot guys in my team XD

I really liked BG2 romance with Anomen - you could treat him badly (why there is always ass-kissing involved when you want to have romance in RPGs?) and still have romance with him.

Would be nice to have a little bit more realistic NPCs and interactions with them (screw "big romane" ala Twilight! I don't need them to be madly in love after two hours of playing. NPCs should be a little bit more picky- for ex. some romances could be available only for characters with high charisma or intelligence).

Also, I wish there was less "elves-chick in love with humans" romances. I just don't get why would they choose to live with guys who will eventualy get old and die when they have still many more years to live. I don't say that there shouldn't be anymore elf/human romances- let just remember that they don't get happy "happy ending".

• Like 1

Yes, i want romance options, but only if they were optional.

I hate it to be forced to a relationship i dont like. I remember final fantasy VIII. This romance was just terrible. :banghead:

But i think romance, love, relationships and friendships are part of an adult rpg concept. In the real World, when humans have to work together or live togehter or only get to know each other it is a normal process for them to get friends, fall in love, and so on.

BUT(there is allways a but :dancing: )

An RPG isnt a Dating-Simulator! Dragon Age: origins was a good game, but i dont like the romances really much. But i DO like the romances of mass effect. Maybe not everything is well done, but imagine a mass effect without these depth of the characters. I dont want to play that.

If Project Eternity will come without any romance options, it will be a good game. But for me not a awesome game.

I like RPGs and i like rpg characters really really much, but i think its kind of absurd if 5-8 persons travels around the world all day and night, kill enemys and solve quest and all this things and they dont get a relationship of any kind.

Love is also a part of human life as hate, sorrow, etc. pp.

kind regards,

Jira

Edited by Jiraboas

Lastly, I dare say I haven't seen an RPG where romance was the main focus... unless you count Final Fantasy VIII, but that's questionable both whether one considers it an RPG and if its love story can be considered romantic in nature. Plus, it's from 1999, so it's not exactly "lately".

Then you haven't seen Bioware, its forums and its marketing. Do you know what one of the first threads upon announcing of DA3 was?

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dra...or-DA3039s-female-protagonist-14140424-1.html

Yeah.

Say no to popamole!

Then you haven't seen Bioware, its forums and its marketing. Do you know what one of the first threads upon announcing of DA3 was?

http://social.biowar...14140424-1.html

Yeah.

Of course there are going to be fans who want to know these thing before anything else, but that doesn't make it the main focus of the game itself. Heck, at this point it's one of the few things they can actually safely expect from the game.

And, shiz, as much as I can enjoy a romance in a BioWare game, I only will if it has the right context and if the rest of the game is enjoyable. I've wanted to replay Mass Effect 2 for the romance stories with Tali and Miranda (although I suppose you can't really call them "stories" when they're little more than a few lines of dialogue), but I just can't be arsed to because I'm frankly tired of the rest of the game.

That said, I can't recall BioWare's marketing people making any noise about romance, unless specifically asked about it or responding to accusations.

I put my two cents in for the intellectual kind. I WANT romance in it. Just because 'you' don't doesn't mean the millions that do should suffer. Get this, it's OPTIONAL! You DON'T have to romance anyone. Anyway, to make it fair I think there should be the steamy and intellectual for both kinds for both genders. IE' Morringan in DA:O was the hot, Liliana was the intellectual and for females Alistar was the intellectual and Zevran was the hot. That way everyone wins.

Romance add depth to a game, makes you feel closer to the characters and world. I am often influenced by my romance option in games for decisions based on it.

Edited by Carmentis
  • Like 1

http://social.biowar...14140424-1.html

Yeah.

Of course there are going to be fans who want to know these thing before anything else, but that doesn't make it the main focus of the game itself. Heck, at this point it's one of the few things they can actually safely expect from the game.

And, shiz, as much as I can enjoy a romance in a BioWare game, I only will if it has the right context and if the rest of the game is enjoyable. I've wanted to replay Mass Effect 2 for the romance stories with Tali and Miranda (although I suppose you can't really call them "stories" when they're little more than a few lines of dialogue), but I just can't be arsed to because I'm frankly tired of the rest of the game.

That said, I can't recall BioWare's marketing people making any noise about romance, unless specifically asked about it or responding to accusations.

I think we have a differing perception of things then, because a LARGE part of DA2 marketing was spent on romances. Hepler everywhere, virginal girl next door vs let's have it on right here sex. Oh man, flashbacks.

Say no to popamole!

it's OPTIONAL! You DON'T have to romance anyone.

Well you can accidentally romance someone by picking dialogue options trying to be nice to a traumatized party member without realizing you're starting a romance that will end up with an elven baby in your inventory. :)

BUT, even assuming it was optional, including romances would take development time from other aspects of the game to make sure they work right, so including them could be a trade-off in terms of resources allocated for the game. So an argument from a game design point could be made that even optional romances might be too demanding for the purposes of the game. So its possible to argue against romances without actually disliking romances in games.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just because 'you' don't doesn't mean the millions that do should suffer

What about the billions who think it's simply waste of time and money with a project this small?

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I think we have a differing perception of things then, because a LARGE part of DA2 marketing was spent on romances. Hepler everywhere, virginal girl next door vs let's have it on right here sex. Oh man, flashbacks.

Okay, to be honest I seem to be drawing blanks when I try to remember DA2's marketing, specifically.

Beyond the jokes about pressing a button for something awesome to happen, that is.

But I guess it would make sense to focus on the relationships with the companion characters, since character relationships was one of the few things I dare say DA2 did better than its predecessor. >_>

Edited by JediMB

What about the billions who think it's simply waste of time and money with a project this small?

Actually the polls here are shaping up to show that more folks want romance options. I would rather have the option for romance and have some players not engage in it than to deprive the majority that does want it in the game.

inner-party relationships are mandatoy if your aiming for a realistic and mature world however

think about it, a group of 4, 5, 6 (actually, how many willit be exactly?) out in the wilderness and dungeons for weeks and months all by themselves - theres bound to be romance and sex eventually, and resulting jealousy and rivalry. it would be nice however if it werent all focused on the PC. relationships should evolve naturally between all party members, and if the PC tarries too long he might find himself the odd man out without a partner, at which point he needs to slay or otherwise dispose of a competitor to claim one for himself which can result in many potentially interesting roleplaying opportunities

• Like 1

inner-party relationships are mandatoy if your aiming for a realistic and mature world however

Realistic and mature fantasy worlds for realistic and mature players like myself.

Say no to popamole!

Actually the polls here are shaping up to show that more folks want romance options. I would rather have the option for romance and have some players not engage in it than to deprive the majority that does want it in the game.

Not really, my numbers here are shaping up to show that the entire multiverse is against romances in RPGs, our universe is a anomaly.

In case you're wondering. I think the entire pyramid quote was silly.

Edited by Delterius

Well you can accidentally romance someone by picking dialogue options trying to be nice to a traumatized party member without realizing you're starting a romance that will end up with an elven baby in your inventory. :)

You should play Dragon's Dogma then. >.> Any quest you do despite being male or female has the NPC falling in love with you. Now THAT is having no choice in the matter. XD

What about the trillions, nay, gazillions, NAY! INFINITYONS! That want it?!?!?!

Joking aside, with these extended goals you don't find it anywhere where it might be added? I mean think about it as well, wouldn't a nice loving companion be welcomed in your group? Most games are adding romance options now since it seems to be such a welcome addition which draws a lot of customers despite the naysers.

You should play Dragon's Dogma then. >.> Any quest you do despite being male or female has the NPC falling in love with you. Now THAT is having no choice in the matter. XD

Joking aside, with these extended goals you don't find it anywhere where it might be added? I mean think about it as well, wouldn't a nice loving companion be welcomed in your group? Most games are adding romance options now since it seems to be such a welcome addition which draws a lot of customers despite the naysers.

The thing is what kind of costumers? I am sure adding gritty over the shoulder camera and cover shooting mechanics might draw CoD fans too. Let's do this, it will make trillions! SLAMDUNK!

• Like 1

Say no to popamole!

I always hear the same argument about "taking away resources" whenever it comes to things that might add more depth and immersion to a game, so much that I really want to ask 'so, what's left if we take out all that and just focus on the main aspects?' And the answer will probably be simple hack and slay - welcome to stupid F2P MMO #2354, "I'm happy as long as the game mechanics work and I gain my levels fast". That's not epic, that's not fun, that's not the game I'm throwing my money at. I'm paying for a great story, and stuff like love always plays a role in a great story.

Hell, I don't want the silly fan catering Bioware does today either, after DA:O I really saw nothing interesting in those romances anymore and it only seems like a tacked on standard for fans who want to play Barbie and Ken anymore. But a GOOD romance plot adds so much immersion and depth to a game that I'd be sad if it's left out - especially in a game that caters to a mature audience where you really can write some unique stuff and not teenager dreams.

For me, games have become an art like movies and literature, and things like love, romance, sex are as human and as important to humans as eating and drinking, probably more important than stabbing goblins with a bastard sword. I take it as granted that this major part of being human plays a role in art, literature and mature games, in a way that caters to a mature audience - that means, no teen stuff like Bioware, no tittie show like The Witcher, but as a professional writer would handle it.

The thing is what kind of costumers? I am sure adding gritty over the shoulder camera and cover shooting mechanics might draw CoD fans too. Let's do this, it will make trillions! SLAMDUNK!

Are you commenting just for the sake of commenting? What he mentioned is perfectly viable in a RPG Obsidian is aiming for and based on the games the draw inspiration from. The nonsense you mentioned is not.

I want Carmentis as romanceable character, as it's ears are nomm nomm.

...not.

I voted for "no romances". Why? Cause I'm a prick that way. But if seriously, I already explained it somewhere else - tired of characters becoming love objects, want to see them have new and unique roles in gameplay and the plot.

I loved Dragon's Dogma despite the fact that no matter how much I tried to romance the lady knight I had the male knight who gave you the Duke's WyrmHunt quest as my romance option. :)

(that was actually my third play through though, got the right ones the other times through).

Of course Fable where you you could have pretty much the entire town fall for you was another thing entirely (stupid broadcast emotes).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man