The 30th summer Olympiad

Calax

Just figured I'd start a thread for the Olympics. Watching qualifiers right now of soccer and can't understand how three guys passing to each other is interesting/ exciting.

Can't wait to see the opening ceremonies tonight

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Opening ceremony was a bit to long and self absorbed (to me at least). I will give them the Rowan Atkinson appearance as awesome. Appears to be a lot of of martial arts folks carrying flags

I really wanted to see Roger Bannister take four laps with the torch.

Worst. Opening. Ceromonies. Ever.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

As I'm actually residing in merry olde england.. I'm going to do my best to ignore the tv and all the olympic related waffle going on..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

You know what's freaking me out? Sometimes when swimmers take their swimming caps off they have another swimming cap underneath their swimming cap.

Oh, and Mr. Bean was awesome.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

You know what's freaking me out? Sometimes when swimmers take their swimming caps off they have another swimming cap underneath their swimming cap.

Oh, and Mr. Bean was awesome.

I smell a variant of the Inception meme.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

[chariots of fire] FOR BLACKADDER!!!! [/chariots of fire]

Also one thing that me and la familia were getting really frustrated at was the fact that gymnastics would rather spend every second on the USA team rather than alternate between other teams while waiting for a score

Edited by Calax

That was some 100 meters. 9.8 seconds got you fourth place. It was unreal.

If Powell's leg hadn't blown out, it would've been 8 guys under 10 seconds.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Gotta say, in watching the Vault last night on NBC, I really wanna slap the smug out of Mckayla Murouni (or however you spell it). Just by how she acted and moved herself seemed very... arrogant and smug about "I'm the BEST!" Even in how she was doing the introductions... it was golf clap until she was introduced then it was "oh yay!"

Part of me thinks that that pommel horse (or whatever they were using) was to low given how many people were to low on their vaults.

That women's semifinal between Canada and US was something. The Canadian crying over the referee is an added bonus.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I can't begin to explain how moving the closing ceremony was for me. I was born, and will die, in London. My city for better or worse.

The BBC, an organisation I often loathe, nailed it.

I am of the centre-right, and see no contradiction between that and loathing racism and homophobia. I embrace athletes like Mo Farah, who some ****tards have questioned because he was born in Somalia. He, as far as I'm concerned, is as British as I am and **** anybody who says anything different.

This is what identity means in the 21st Century: a decision. I know I'm rambling but I hope you dig where I'm coming from. And well done USA, putting China on the back-foot rocked.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Farah is British as British can be, listen to him speak. Apparently there is some drama about so-called 'plastic' Brits - basically immigrants. Coverage wise, CTV was as meh as I expected it. The little bit of BBC that I streamed did seem to be pretty good, commentators didn't yap too much and generally seemed excited over anyone winning.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I normally avoid WoT these days, but I would like to point out a couple of things about the games and the ceremonies, both opening and closing. First of all, I'm an American. I'm not ashamed to say it. I love my country. I volunteered to serve in the armed forces, I vote in every election, I keep abreast of the issues of the day. ...But, like virtually all Americans, my ancestors came from somewhere else, and that means I have family in Britain. I have always been an Anglophile, but over the past several years I've been dismayed and disappointed by the hang-dog defeatism of the Brits. To paraphrase the Bard himself, self-love is not so great a sin as self-neglect. I see the great things about America as having their first expression in Britain, and it pains me to seem them moping about and, even worse, acting apologetic for creating the grandest empire the Earth has ever known. For shame!

This Olympics, the Brits looked like a people in fighting trim. They wanted some gold and went out to get it. They didn't care that the days of grand empire are over. Instead, they waved some flags and showed some pride and won some medals. Through all that, they cheered other nations for their efforts. Noble spirits and good sports, that's what I saw and it made me happy. In our day and age, with so many people willing to write off western democracy as if it weren't the one thing that has lifted the greatest number of human beings out of poverty and despair, I was heartened to see Britain being proud of the many splendid things she has contributed to the world. I know I know! How laughable that anyone should be positive about anything in this forum, but I am optimistic.

Sure, 'Imagine' is pie in the sky fantasy, but who cares? It was only one of many songs that demonstrate the grandeur of British literature and art. Be proud of it. Most of the people I personally know have agreed that these ceremonies are special. I think, with so many dark clouds on the horizon, we were all British from the time the ceremonies opened to the time they ended. I have never been moved by any ceremonies as much as I have these, even including the ones in Los Angeles, which were local, to the ones in Seoul South Korea where I was stationed at the time, or even the Athens games, which were special for a variety of reasons.

The London games were much more of a success than I anticipated they would be. Congratulations!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

...but can it really be proper english ceremony if there isn't Iron Maiden in it?

Exactly. They should've played 'Aces High', complete with the Churchill-speech in the very beginning. Anyhoo, probably the best olympic ending ceremony that i have seen in my life. Several thumbs up (I am a bit of an anglophile though).

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy