Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Saw John Carter. I really liked it. I would go to see a sequel.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

watched gran torino, it kinda sucked. not sure what i was expecting, but the acting and screenplay were both average at best

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Pseudo on-topic. The premier of The Dark Knight Rises was shot up in Aurora, CO.

damn kids and their guns

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Interesting bit about one of the dead, she narrowly missed being involved in a shootout at a mall here in Toronto a couple of weeks ago.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Saw The Dark Knight Rises. Really good. Good, albeit predictable, character development. Perhaps a bit too busy. It does seem strange that two of the most important characters to the film were nowhere in the previous movies. It makes it feel disconnected as a trilogy, but it works fine as a single film.

They pushed Alfred out of the movie a bit too easily for my tastes. And I question the final reveal of the ending from a character perspective, but it's not inappreciable from a narrative perspective.

Dark Knight Rises. It felt slightly too long and perhaps Bane's back round was bit too explained and it felt slightly awkward that Batman rises twice in the movie, but all those are minor complaints. It's a good movie, a worthy end to a fine trilogy.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Dark Knight Rises. While Dark Knight set a more realistic universe, Dark Knight Rises takes a slight step back, being more like Batman Begins in feel (and has essentially the same plot*). It's more realistic than most comic book movies, but it's a comic book movie through and through. Still, a fantastic action movie and while it lacks a performance like Heath Ledger's Joker, the performances all around are more solid this time (Christian Bale does a fine job and Anne Hathaway's Catwoman is as close as the movie comes to a standout performance, Tom Hardy's Bane is a physical presence though his acting is hampered by the costume) and the plot felt more cohesive as a whole. A fitting end to the trilogy, but it's still the Return of the Jedi to The Dark Knight's Empire Strikes Back.

Also, anyone who complains about Bane's voice being unintelligeble needs to get their ears checked, English isn't even my first language and I understood everything just fine. He's perfectly understandable.

*Wayne Enterprises Prototype gets turned into weapon of mass destruction by bad guy who turns out not to be the mastermind but a stooge for Ra's Al Ghul's plans, with the climax involving having to stop the vehicle in question before it blows up the entire city.

Edited by TrueNeutral

i still dont understand what people don't like about robin.

ok thats not entirely true, grayson is a bit of a dweeb, and todd was very unpopular... but tim drake is a great character, and jon blake in the movie was great too.

maybe its because i only started reading comics in the 2000's, and not earlier, so i've never seen robin running around in shorts like Grayson did before he became nightwing?

I think there isn't much appreciation for Robin anymore. Back in the 80s he was pretty cool in the Wolfram/Perez run in the Teen Titans. But most people of my generation only identified him with the 'holy sloppy galoshes Batman' era of Burt Ward.

I'd pay money for a Nightwing movie, but a Robin film on its own would be a stretch. Both characters are badass in Young Justice, tho.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Funny, I don't like Robin either. He showed up in the Batman game as well and it felt totally forced to me- Robin just isn't needed anymore, imo. He is a cliche character who could be cut out without any harm being dealed to the franchise.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On Batman

I can see them doing a Robin as Batman if they ever continue this iteration, a la Nightwing as Batman following one of Bruce's deaths. Which, by all indications, they won't.

I am going to put on my radical thinking hat and suggest that "wouldn't it be good if there weren't any more superhero-movie for a while? at all?"

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I am going to put on my radical thinking hat and suggest that "wouldn't it be good if there weren't any more superhero-movie for a while? at all?"

I would have jumped on board about a year ago, but both The Avengers and Batman were pretty stellar. Still, all these reboots hold zero interest to me. I don't want to see another Superman, Spiderman, or Hulk.

Watched the curious case of Benjamin Button today. A... strange movie. A bit creepy. Not bad, but somehow depressing. I don't think I would want to watch it again anytime soon.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."