Cartoon/Anime/Comic settings you would like to see a rpg set in

C2B

Obsidian should do sequel to Largo Winch: Empire under Threat as spiritual sequel to Alpha Protocol.

Ther groundwork is there already.

87949-largo-winch-empire-under-threat-xbox-screenshot-all-the-fights.jpg

Turn-based combat!

87961-largo-winch-empire-under-threat-xbox-screenshot-checking-out.jpg

Checking e-mails!

284699-largo-winch-empire-under-threat-windows-screenshot-hacking.png

Hacking minigame!

87950-largo-winch-empire-under-threat-xbox-screenshot-with-all-the.jpg

Romance!

And remember, folks, this was 2002!

Obsidian, do EET!

Also, I had no idea there's a Thorgal videogame, also from 2002!

420015-curse-of-atlantis-thorgal-s-quest-windows-screenshot-scene.png

I must check this one out, Thorgal is best Euro comic ever, after 666/6666!

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I do not see any cartoons making exceptionally good rpg's full of depth. Basically because by their nature cartoons and comics are fairly shallow. I could not choose a cartoon, as the last time I watched any was when I was a kid in the 80's, and I have no real desire to see Danger Mouse revisited.

Thorgal's art (the comic) leaves a lot to be desired. I never liked it. Loisel's La Qu

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

... and every Anime,Comic,Manga already mentioned has crappy games already made about them. Specially Ghost in the Shell.

That does not mean, that a not crappy game from these universes could be a nice and enjoyable addition to the gaming world... And for me, If the game is crappy, it does not exist...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Not really a cartoon/anime setting and only tangentially a comic setting (thank you licenses!), but I'd love to see a game set in Street & Smith's pulp hero universe with Doc Savage, the Shadow and the Avenger (plus their crews) taking on criminal masterminds in 1930s New York.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't know much Anime. Saw 'Akira' once and didn't "get it"...

South Park is a WIP, so we can leave that one out too.

As for Comics, I would love some older stuff, like Conan or Richard Corbens 'Den' setting. Maybe 'Blueberry' for those into all things Western and M

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hellblazer rpg could be amazing, it could work if it was text heavy like planescape torment but without the combat

ghost in the shell - its almost the same setting as deus ex though

cowboy bebop? would be hard to make a game i think, but its such a good anime (gorth, watch this one if you are curious about why people like anime)

and i second the Black Company suggestion made earlier in the thread

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Think someone already mentioned it, but I'll say it myself: Samurai Champloo. I love that anime.

I also think Slayers would make a good setting for a Diablo clone or something along those lines. Not saying it'd make a good story-rpg (it might, but I doubt it). But with the absurd sense of humor and constant action, I think it could be a fun game.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Shigurui/Berserk is the only anime I want to see turned into RPG.

Record of Lodoss War has a special place in my heart, but that's already the Japanese version of D&D. Sailor Moon, though, could be interesting.

BUt Champloo is just Edo period with rap. It was a great anime but i haven't got the slightest idea why it'd make a good rpg.

Because the 3 main characters are so awesome. A game based on them doesn't have to follow the actual anime plot y'know...you could base a rpg around those characters that occurs soon after the events in the anime. Or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I do not see any cartoons making exceptionally good rpg's full of depth. Basically because by their nature cartoons and comics are fairly shallow. I could not choose a cartoon, as the last time I watched any was when I was a kid in the 80's, and I have no real desire to see Danger Mouse revisited.

So you haven't seen any cartoons since the 80s, but cartoons have no depth. Watch G.I. Joe Renegades, Young Justice, Justice League Unlimited, Ben 10, Thundercats(new one) etc. Modern Cartoons are made by people who grew up enjoying the ones of the 80s, but try to do it better.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Thinking about it a bit, I'd love for an RPG game set in Imagawa's GIANT ROBO: THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL universe. Not entirely sure how it'd work, but I thought that was a great distillation of a sort of "everything and the kitchen sink" universe since it homages so much of Yokayama's career, not just Giant Robo and had a lot of fun ideas to play around with.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So you haven't seen any cartoons since the 80s, but cartoons have no depth. Watch G.I. Joe Renegades, Young Justice, Justice League Unlimited, Ben 10, Thundercats(new one) etc. Modern Cartoons are made by people who grew up enjoying the ones of the 80s, but try to do it better.

Agree with Oerwinde. There are still plenty of "very young" cartoons, to be sure, but there are also plenty of more adult cartoons, anime, and comics. The Walking Dead, for example. Even Superman got the "dark and tormented" treatment a while back.

I haven't personally seen many of the modern day versions of my childhood cartoons (like GIJoe/Justice League etc) but...shrug...I figure if they have more adult themes now, that they're just as likely to have RPG potential as something like South Park. :disguise:

The setting should be somewhat established though and important in the manga/comic/cartoon/anime itself. Charachter driven narratives are fine but as others said before if the setting itself is easily replacable its kinda missing the point of this thread.

Thats also why I thought FMA is a really good suggestion. Or Avatar too. Or HxH as I suggested.

The setting should be somewhat established though and important in the manga/comic/cartoon/anime itself. Charachter driven narratives are fine but as others said before if the setting itself is easily replacable its kinda missing the point of this thread.

Thats also why I thought FMA is a really good suggestion. Or Avatar too. Or HxH as I suggested.

But chr. driven narratives are all there really are anymore. No setting is really original. It's the story and characters within that setting that give it spark. Game of Thrones would be just another medieval setting with kings and princes if it weren't for the characters and the fact the author likes to kill them off willy nilly, unlike most authors.

Avatar's setting isn't original. Far from it. Adding sci-fi space props and CGI humanistic aliens to such a setting does not make it original.

Edited by LadyCrimson

One of the cartoons of my youth had a very thinly veiled allegory to Third Reich and German occupation.

419011.jpg

Nowadays, in our politically correct society stuff like this would never be able to pass.

Avatar's setting isn't original. Far from it. Adding sci-fi space props and CGI humanistic aliens to such a setting does not make it original.

Avatar : The Last Airbender, the cartoon series, not the Cameron movie :no: Your point still stands, obviously, but this is a confusion that should always be corrected :biggrin: .

In a FMA setting, I want to play an Armstrong spawn with a bonus in every skill there is but with a big narcissistic malus of some sort :w00t: A subset with the characteristic 'huge' would be appreciated. And of course, the obligatory two names.

Avatar : The Last Airbender, the cartoon series, not the Cameron movie :no: Your point still stands, obviously, but this is a confusion that should always be corrected :biggrin: .

Oh....I did it again. :blush: My sig gets more apt every year.

I tried watching that anime once, because I heard such good things about it. It was a little too...youthful in execution for me, couldn't get into it. But yes, my point still stands. ;)