RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

I see it more as EA knows Origin is getting owned by Steam and there's NO way for them to currently catch up. I think Origin is hoping that this will garner them an instant audience and since it costs them nothing but a little bandwidth...if they only have a few breakout Kickstarter games, it could be a major win for them should a few of those games take off in popularity.

Big companies always do negative stuff, but EA hasn't done anything particularly egregious- perhaps excluding some of its server shutdowns though I'm unclear how many people play Sports Franchise Iteration Year Number multiplayer once it's superceded. They're a favourite whipping boy because of the accumulated ills of Bioware (Jade Empire and the NWN OC suggests the herp was strong in Bioware even pre EA), spyware FUD and OMG being mean to GabeN!!!

I might even register WL2 on Origin if they do it that way, though it would be after making sure I had it DRM free as well. That's a zero loss proposition for everyone. It is pretty ludicrous seeing so many people going purple faced over WL2/ Origin when No Steam No Sale (Steamholm Syndrome?) types demand steam keys and would be appalled if it were not available there. If it's just another place to buy it, or register it, then nobody should really care.

• Like 2

IS it going to be one of those stupid "I bought the game on Disk but now have to download the rest of it off the internet?" type deals.

You have it backwards. Nowadays it's more like "I bought the game on Disk, and everything's on it, but I have to pay some more to 'unlock' the content."

The Capcom strategy, I just chalk it up to this day one DLC phenomenon.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Interesting interview with the creator of Journey.

My biggest complaint for computer games so far is they are not good enough for adults. For adults to enjoy something, they need to have intellectual stimulation, something that's related to real life.

Anyone else feel he has more point than he should?

I really do agree with that. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sophomoric humor and frenetic action scenes on occasion, but the older I get the less tolerant I am of that stuff. The fact is the age demographic for gamers is getting older, but games still seem to resist growing up. LA Noir is a great example, that game would have been better without the numerous chase scenes. A well done crime drama should be enough.

Dragon Age is another example, the whole blood soaked thing is just silly to me, it isn't funny silly either. It's just bad.

My biggest complaint for computer games so far is they are not good enough for adults. For adults to enjoy something, they need to have intellectual stimulation, something that's related to real life.

;( There is someone else in the universe who understands me.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Maybe. But when does escapism become a stick-up-your-arse exercise in drudgery in the name of 'intellectual stimulation?'

Stick together long enough, and a personal, unspoken bond will form: sitting my character down in the snow, I nipped out to fetch myself a drink, returning a couple of minutes later to find my buddy meditating beside me. Every online gamer has a story like this, but only in Journey does the multiplayer form organically.

Pass me another bran muffin, some self-knitted yoghurt and a sick bag.

What I see is a tendency to shoe-horn depth into something that doesn't need it (the po-faced worship of Marvel superheroes, for example, being a case in point). Go and play any top-end strategy game and ask yourself (even if it isn't your thing) if it doesn't offer a level of meaningful content entirely absent from other examples of game (one turn in Medieval Total War might teach you about the Crusades or the Plague, make you consider the importance of a maritime trade route or recoil at the elegance of assassinating an entirely innocent princess for political advantage... it ain't Diablo baby).

OTOH I see Grand Theft Auto, which is an excuse for middle-class kids to glamorise a lifestyle otherwise alien to them, is seen as pixellated Hemingway.

Lulz.

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Alpha Protocol had a sillicone-enhanced Russian chick in hotpants chasing you around. Puh-leez.

German.

village_idiot.gif

Alpha Protocol had a sillicone-enhanced Russian chick in hotpants chasing you around. Puh-leez.

But she was 50. That made it adult.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Pfft,I've found sniping in my games to pretty stimulating, having to choose spots, decide when to move, actually aim well in some games. Then again, I suppose he's plinking at COD/BF.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's silly. the majority of adults quite enjoy non 'intellectrually simulating stuff' unless you really believe only kiddies watch movies like Transformers or the Avengers or the Dark Knight.. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

*Sigh* at least they aren't shy about what they are doing. They already put it in the "shooter" department in their games line up.

I think I'll to support the Carmageddon Kickstarter. At least they put serious effort into staying true to the original.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Xcom has a release date. Already have it ordered.

http://www.2kgames.c...dition-and-more

I'm overall pretty optimistic about the game. Firaxis is a top-notch developer. I still need to try a demo before I shell out 50 Euros though. Luckily enough, 2K Games seems to be a demo-friendly publisher.

Edited by Morgoth

Maybe he's confusing it with the other one, with chest high walls and black ooze ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra