Good old Games

Gorth

Anyone played the Crusader: No Subtitle games recently? I always meant to play them back in the day, but never got around to them and wondering if I should.

I'm not sure if you actually can.

I tried to make No Remorse running some years back but it was written under some sort of middle-ware that has serious issues under modern OS and dosbox.

And now up to 70 games on GOG :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It works just fine. The only real problem he might have is getting used to controls. Other than that, go ahead and enjoy it. No remorse first, of course.

I can confirm this, too. Played Crusader: No Remorse on Win7 64-bit without any problems. And, well, it's one of GOG.com's selling points, isn't it -- they make sure their releases work on modern OS'es -- so if you did have any issues, their support department is obligated to help you with that.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

The controls are the only thing that might stand out in that regard. I suggest using only the keyboard (the mouse controls are seriously wacky) and taking your time to familiarize yourself with them. They're not bad necessarily, just different, and they might feel a bit counter-intuitive in the beginning.

Other than that, I'd say they have aged pretty well -- nice graphics, great atmosphere, a lot of interaction with the environments (No Remorse was way ahead of its time in this regard), a nice variety of weapons, gadgets, enemies, etc. and cheesy 90's-style story progression FMV's :p

One tip I can give you in regards to its graphics -- since there is no widescreen mod or anything like that -- is to play with the DOSBox settings to scale the game to 200% (or 1280x960 I don't remember the specific setting). With other scaling settings turned off, this will result in a perfectly scaled 1280x960 playing area (with black borders) without any of the blurring you would normally get on flat panels. So it will basically look like it would on a CRT monitor. It won't be full-screen, of course, but it'll look crisp and a hell of a lot better than anything you could achieve through your graphics card's scaling options. That's the way I prefer to play it anyway, as I absolutely hate blurry graphics.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

All of Interplay 50% off. 80% off Telltale games and a 30% off on Deponia. Anyone play either of the Deponias ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have not played Deponia, but I hear great things about it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Even though there's a bunch of great Interplay games I don't have the inclination to play any of them apart from the Fallout series, not many of them have aged well. Descent came with my first Windows PC in 1995, I played that game to death. Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 I played on the Sega Mega Drive and later on emulators, they're frustrating games. Played the original Battle Chess in DOS on an 80's Amstrad. I didn't even like MDK when it was new. I played the Kingpin demo when it was released, very buggy, kept crashing and clipping. Is Jagged Alliance 2 or any of the others worth playing?

Descent and Earthworm Jim could do with remakes, there's a lot of room for improvement but there's lots of great gameplay and style there that is absent today. Rochard was actually pretty close to Earthworm Jim in a lot of ways, I've just realized that, thinking about Earthworm Jim right now. There was a Kickstarter for a 6 degrees of movement shooter, but it didn't feel, play, or look anything like Descent.

Hm. Stonekeep is one of those games I always meant to check out, but never did, because I kept being distracted by other games. Perhaps.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Even though there's a bunch of great Interplay games I don't have the inclination to play any of them apart from the Fallout series, not many of them have aged well.

FreeSpace 1&2 are the best games of their genre if you ask me. Ssince you seem to like Descent you might want to check them out. Same people made both, and FS1 is called Descent: FreeSpace in north america..

Both even have a great mod that make them look really nice.

I remember playing the original Descent many moons ago. Hubs and I would both get all turned around and "lost" because of the directional stuff. It was great fun tho. But I think we both got too dizzy half the time... :lol: Never finished it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I was going to pick up Descent to Undermountain out of morbid curiosity before realising that it rightly isn't there. :p

My Interplay library on GOG is pretty small, still 24 titles on the current sale I don't own, but probably will only pick up the Descent games and maaaaybe FO:T for the hell of it. Plus all the 80% off Telltale packs, of course. :) Already have most of them on Steam but would like to decouple the games from that.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I remember playing the original Descent many moons ago. Hubs and I would both get all turned around and "lost" because of the directional stuff. It was great fun tho. But I think we both got too dizzy half the time... :lol: Never finished it.

Because it came free with the PC it had no manual. Accidentally pressed one of the keys, brought up a map. "There was a map the entire time?"

I've just played both Deponia games. Fun point and click games with humour and a little originality. Playing an anti hero is refreshing and the story is ok. I think at that price, it's a good deal if you like adventure games.

Note that the this is a trilogy, so the end of the second opus is not that conclusive (for a good reason).

If you don't plan to play it quickly, I would wait for the third game to come out and the typical bundle that will come with.

All of Interplay 50% off. 80% off Telltale games and a 30% off on Deponia. Anyone play either of the Deponias ?

I have just bought the following games on the Interplay special. I should be busy :)

Fallout 2, Sacrifice, MDK 2, Die by the Sword + Expansion,Kingpin: Life of Crime,Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader ,Fallout, MDK and Messiah

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...

Woah! Buy 5 games for $10. Ok so its a specific list of twenty games, but there are some great ones among them.

So I got myself:

Unmechanical, Botanicula, the complete Blackwell Bundle, the Geneforge Bundle and Gemini Rue.

Now if only I didn't have a huge backlog anyway.

Still nice to see this checkout message: Total: 10 - You Save: 49.90sumthin :)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Haven't really used GOG to acquire indie games previously, so none of the eligible titles are in my library. Figured I'd do my part and pick 5 of them based purely on the info page for each title. Ended up with Resonance, Blackwell, Machinarium, Botanicula and Symphony to take my library to 160.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Eagerly awaiting Primordia (from the same dudes who made Gemini Rue and Resonance).

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Woah! Buy 5 games for $10. Ok so its a specific list of twenty games, but there are some great ones among them.

So I got myself:

Unmechanical, Botanicula, the complete Blackwell Bundle, the Geneforge Bundle and Gemini Rue.

Now if only I didn't have a huge backlog anyway.

Still nice to see this checkout message: Total: 10 - You Save: 49.90sumthin :)

Botanicula was a really cute/fun game, glad I gave it a chance. Those types of games aren't great on replay value, imo, but they can be tons of fun the first time or two.

Edit: someday I'm going to have to get The Last Express from GoG and finally get to play it (originally, way back when, it always crashed on me at this certain early point in the game, so I never got very far....