Good old Games

Gorth

All I've used GOG for is Ultima IV and Fallout, but I'm thankful for what they do.

"Well, there's many things they have forgotten sitting in their bowls. Friendship. The thrill of discovery. Love. Masturbation. The usual." -Dr. Mobius

All I've used GOG for is Ultima IV and Fallout, but I'm thankful for what they do.

Wow, how was Ultima IV?

I have always said I wanted to play the Ultima games but I am grappling with the outdated visuals, of course graphics aren't everything and I have played games from 1999 that were excellent. I know you can get some fan recreation of the games from about Ultima V but I can't quite get into the older Ultima series.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Got my free Realms of Arkania 1+2 :)

Took me forever to figure out where to claim the gift. Bought IL-2 1946 too in the hope that it doesn't need to awful GFWL that my disc version of the game requires.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You mean you missed the "Open "Redeem" page" link in the email? :D

I was supposed to read the email? :unsure:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They have Nexus for $3.99, hm, $1 less than I paid for it on Steam - I feel ripped off.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Carmageddon Max Pack pack was finally released on GoG :w00t:

He came, he saw, he bought... (waiting for the download since I bought a few other games too).

Spent about half an hour arranging, rearranging, then re-rearranging my virtual shelf on GoG - mostly by genre but all grouped up so that series would all be on one row and so forth. Count stands at 125 games, including the free ones. I estimate the ones I've ever downloaded at about 20.... Pickups this weekend are Deus Ex, Anachronox and the Thief games, none of which I needed to buy, and none of which I plan to play in the foreseeable future.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Pickups this weekend are Deus Ex, Anachronox and the Thief games, none of which I needed to buy, and none of which I plan to play in the foreseeable future.

Because, obviously, you need them to fill your virtual shelf. Otherwise, what's the point of having a virtual shelf.

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Wow, how was Ultima IV?

I have always said I wanted to play the Ultima games but I am grappling with the outdated visuals, of course graphics aren't everything and I have played games from 1999 that were excellent. I know you can get some fan recreation of the games from about Ultima V but I can't quite get into the older Ultima series.

I actually find the graphics of Ultima 5 in Britannia to be quite charming, though not in the Underworld. Ultima 4 is pretty painful though. Sadly I'm not aware of any real updates to Ultima 4's visuals. There's some fan-made patch for the DOS game floating around, but it's not that much of an improvement imo.

Anyways, what makes Ultima 4 stand out is the main plot. The main plot alone carries the game(which is admittedly one of the only 'quests' in the game, and you can fail it). It's definitely worth playing at least once, whether you're simply interested in what RPGs can be, the history of RPGs, or want to be a game designer. Also, it's great background going into Ultima 7. If you can get past the graphics, need to write your own journal, draw your own maps(for dungeons), and can endure the repetitive and simplistic combat, you will find quite a gem of an RPG. Also, there is notably less direction than in other games. You might be confused at first as to what you actually have to do. Don't give up. Keep exploring and talking to people.

That said, even if you can't play Ultima 4, you MUST play Ultima 7. Ultima 7 is definitely a big step over just about anything before, and imo everything that's been released since. Ultima 7 should be your goal. Ultima 5 and 6 are nice to have under your belt, but it's not a big deal if you skip them. You'll be fine if you read a plot summary.

Count stands at 125 games, including the free ones.

You have 125 GoG games? :blink:

Don't get me wrong, I think that's awesome...but holy smokes. I think my shelf has about 15 on it. There's been some I've considered, but even at $5-10 a piece, I tend not to buy them until I'm actually ready to play one. :)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The ones I've bought at "full" price can be counted with my fingers admittedly. Basically if I have even the remotest chance of wanting to play a title in the future, I'll pick it up in any of the half-price or better sales. I've counted previously that about half of the titles I have on GoG I already own disk/disc copies of, but the vast majority of those are in my parents' garage, several hundred kilometres away from me. :)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Was just going to post on that - http://www.gog.com/en/promo/activision_weekend_promo_05_10_12

Nice bunch of games out, I'm tempted to get at least Pharaoh and the PQ series.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And just like that, *ping*, 10 more games to the list for 135. See how that happens? :p Now I have 23 of those 31 sale titles....

Picked up the god games plus whatever adventure games I didn't already have, except the Phantasmagoria series because I'm a scaredy cat and Roberta Williams is the most sadistic game designer ever. :)

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Only up to a paltry 55 games here. Got the PQ collection, and the city games. Probably should give them a go, maybe starting with Pharaoh - I wish they'd make another Caesar game, but sigh.

The Legend of Grimrock is on sale for 50% off!

As for the number of games, I'm only at 39 myself and that's including the free ones. Although, given the sale that's going on, that might change tonight! ;)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Hmm, 76. I need to work harder on my collection ;)

I have maybe fifteen counting the free ones. I only bought the classics I don't own.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.