Kingdoms Of Amalur Thoughts

Chippy

I downloaded the demo and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Did they use the Dragon Age II interface because it gives me that sort of vibe..

It's part over the top anime style combat and weapon/armour design and part Two Worlds. The skill trees are nice an varied and at least in the demo once you complete the intro you can skip it (its good the first couple of times but you really don't want to see it every time you play).

Downside. It was very glitchy, had sound issues and locked twice (yes it's a demo but thats worrying). I'll buy it, but from a place I can return it if I have too many serious issues. It might be the sort of game that gets priced down very quickly if the game is as glitchy as the demo.

Those worries aside I was left with a very favourable impression of the story and game structure.

The only bit I would class as "hard" was when they brought up a troll. But I think that was maybe because upto that point I don't recall being hit... That part at least was very hands on with a lot of dodging.

I skipped Skyrim too... I just wait for those inevitable GotY things now once the serious issues are sorted.

Edited by BobSmith101

I downloaded the demo and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Did they use the Dragon Age II interface because it gives me that sort of vibe..

It's part over the top anime style combat and weapon/armour design and part Two Worlds. The skill trees are nice an varied and at least in the demo once you complete the intro you can skip it (its good the first couple of times but you really don't want to see it every time you play).

Supposedly the final game has very very very few bugs for a massive RPG. According to a few reviews. I too had bugs during the demo... BUT...

A. It was an earlier build of the game

B. The devs behind the game didn't make it, they passed it off to another company to build.

Guardian gave the game anoth 100/100 review

Personally the only thing I hate about this game is the shield system. It's too goofy, pulls me out of the immersion.

Yeah, I didn't understand why my mage would pull a shield out of his robes to block, seemed very goofy.

The three trees have different kind of shields. The mage one is a rune or something. Looks like magic.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The mage shield is more the sort of thing you would expect in a sci fi game I guess. But it's a pretty minor niggle more stylistic than anytihng. Maybe that's just how things are in that world.

I personally like the Fae Blades , never saw Chakerams in the demo, but the skills were shown in the demonstration area. One of the best things which I forgot to mention was I played the demo 4 times and each time found someting new and each character played very differently too, like how you would confront group encounters etc.

The card system is pretty interesting a more defined feel than just having a few magic skills on a fighter for example. Whether the game itself will be interesting enough to make it worth going through all those archtypes, time will tell.

I'm leaning towards picking this up on my PS3 instead of the PC. Anyone know if there are any console issues?

Ign review was on PS3 and he claimed it was VERY stable. No crashing, very few bugs, nothing game breaking.

The PC version will almost certainly have more bugs, but I played the demo on PC and PS3... PC looks much better. It's a trade-off, both PC and PS3 seem like fair buys, go with your gut.

Edited by Wishpig

Anyone playing it yet? It's not released until Thursday here in Sweden. Long time since I wanted a game on release day.. But it's relatively cheap so it's OK.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I might play it tonight. I suckered myself into also picking up the Darkness 2. I hear it's only 5 hours long. While that sucks, it means I might knock that game out first, then hit Amalur.

Anyone playing it yet? It's not released until Thursday here in Sweden. Long time since I wanted a game on release day.. But it's relatively cheap so it's OK.

I've only been able to plug a little over an hour into it so far making it to the first town in the demo, but the "hitches" I had in combat in the demo are not there as of yet and the game seems to run smoothly with everything maxed. I have to say that I'm excited to exit the starting area where the demo took place to really get into the nuts and bolts of this game. Seems like it has a ton of content. I also wasn't sure whether to get a console or pc version as I'd like to sit back in the recliner to play, however although the console versions seem to be stable with dealing with bugs, I have read some reviews about framerate issues being prevalent, pop-ins being pretty dramatic and I will agree after playing both demos, the pc version looks much sharper.

Supposedly the final game has very very very few bugs for a massive RPG. According to a few reviews. I too had bugs during the demo... BUT...

The same reviewers who state AP was a bugfest and ME2 was bugfree? Excuse me if I don't take their word on it... gigantive massive buginess can be easily "forgotten" in big-budget titles (think all Bethesda games. And suddenly F:NV was more buggy???).

Anyway, interested to hear about people here if the full game sucks as much as the demo.

As for the user who wondered if they went the Dragon Age II tour, yes, I had that impression too. And that's hardly a plus, bogged down POS UI that was (and is present here).

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I've only been able to plug a little over an hour into it so far making it to the first town in the demo, but the "hitches" I had in combat in the demo are not there as of yet and the game seems to run smoothly with everything maxed. I have to say that I'm excited to exit the starting area where the demo took place to really get into the nuts and bolts of this game.

That's good to hear. Keep us updated on any thoughts re: the game post-demo area. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I picked it up last night, got lucky and grabbed the only PC copy at my local Gamestop. I decided to use the gamepad to play and I think that is a better option. The combat was a bit awkward for me with a mouse and keyboard, my Xbox controller works a lot more naturally.

It's been fun so far, just finished off the tutorial area and a nearby mine.

Hmm, using the gamepad I control the camera with my right thumb while moving with my left thumb. With the mouse and keyboard I would probably hold down the right mouse button to control the camera while moving.

I do this for a lot of 3rd person games because I have issues with nausea as well.

I'm enjoying the game so far, but I got these purple chakrams that made the early fights a bit too easy. I ended up switching back to my daggers to keep combat a bit more interesting. Still learning the timestop thing, like when it is best to use it.

Writing is terrible. I skipped dialogue in the demo and if I hadn't it might have turned me off. Two of the first people I talk to after the tutorial can't decide if they know whether I'm resurrected or not.

Paraphrased. 1st guy:

"We never thought it would work!"

"We'll never know if he succeeded."

Ooookay, maybe I'm just parsing that wrong.

2nd guy:

I was told to see you.

"So Hughes is dead. I told him he would die on the day he succeeded (in resurrecting someone)."

I don't remember telling you Hughes is dead. But that's cool, I was dead too.

"YOU WERE DEAD, OMG!"

You just said you knew he was dead and that he would succeed when he died. So he succeeded. I'm the only bleeding non-Gnome around here, who else did you think it would be?

Hmm, using the gamepad I control the camera with my right thumb while moving with my left thumb. With the mouse and keyboard I would probably hold down the right mouse button to control the camera while moving.

I do this for a lot of 3rd person games because I have issues with nausea as well.

I'm enjoying the game so far, but I got these purple chakrams that made the early fights a bit too easy. I ended up switching back to my daggers to keep combat a bit more interesting. Still learning the timestop thing, like when it is best to use it.

Do you know if the game scales ? I went as far away from the start as I could in the demo and still never came across anything I would call a challenge. Now if the game scales ,that's not really a suprise Oblivion was much the same. However if it does not, it's a bit worrying.

The demo doesn't let you choose the hardest difficulty, so that may be a big enough change for you. Most of the time my only challenge comes when I get quite a few enemies at once, but I'm not very far into the game.

I'm playing on normal.

The demo doesn't let you choose the hardest difficulty, so that may be a big enough change for you. Most of the time my only challenge comes when I get quite a few enemies at once, but I'm not very far into the game.

I'm playing on normal.

The loo

I restarted after about 2 hours into the game on normal because it was simply too easy. Now, after restarting on hard, I feel like its a better game overall. Combat feels more intense and not every combat encounter is a simple retreat from exploring. the loot is pretty decent, as well as the art style, but to be honest, it feels like a single player MMO so far. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing because I always wondered what WoW would be like as a single player game and I believe its good enough but your actions certainly don't garner reactions from those around you. Overall, it's been a fun game though with fun combat, decent exploration, and good loot.

I'm pretty sure it will continue to feel like a single player MMO. Given that the game is supposed to lay the groundwork for an upcoming MMO, it doesn't surprise me.

The only thing I wonder about is how they will translate the combat system into an MMO. Everything else about it seems like a pretty easy jump.

I'm pretty sure it will continue to feel like a single player MMO. Given that the game is supposed to lay the groundwork for an upcoming MMO, it doesn't surprise me.

The only thing I wonder about is how they will translate the combat system into an MMO. Everything else about it seems like a pretty easy jump.

If they somehow transfer this games combat into an MMO... it will revolutionize fantasy MMO's. I'm not talking about Tera combat here, I'm talking about THIS game's combat. Combos, juggling, fatalities, ect. I really don't see that happening though. But who knows? It would be awesome.

But I do think this games biggest weakness is how MMO it feels. But hey, it's to be expected, and I'm glad the devs have this game to practice with before they actually make the MMO.

Started a Fighter/Mage build and it is pretty awesome. It really feels natural to sling a spell and then jump in with my sword. I still stumble with the right buttons a bit, but when I get into a good flow, it's a pretty awesome feeling.

I've also got this Mass Effect armor on, which looks pretty cool.