Kingdoms Of Amalur Thoughts

Chippy

I take that back. There's been no mention of Dwarves. I was confused by a reference to Dwarves in another of Salvatore's work in a thread asking if they were in.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxKEwgCR1CY

30 minutes of gameplay with commentary.

It's interesting for me that there's no regenerating health. And seemingly no regenerating mana. So, is it going to be chugging potions? Is there a rest system? Only 12 minutes into the video so far, so it may be mentioned later. World looks large. "Kill everyone you see. Steal from everyone you see." No mention if it's truly "everyone" or if there's exceptions like the last two Elder Scrolls.

I can live with that.

But the point is, there are no Dwarves!

In before Volo.

Why are you anti-dwarf?

"Kill everyone you see. Steal from everyone you see."

Role-playing games bring out the best in humanity.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

wow, honestly if i were to watch that video not knowing what it was i would be 100% certain that i was watching a video for the next fable game.

that said, it looks better than the last fable game i played, so maybe i'll check it out

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Interesting.

Graphics: Looks completely and utterly boring. Bloomy and blurry, your typical functional but in no way cool or good-looking UI (complete with Outer Glows around questgivers), art style too is, well, there's nothing to say about that.

Looks like a weird mix of a simple, rather uninteresting, kill-crap-pound-through-crap-story ARPG, but then with a surprising amount of various skills, abilities and options underneath the hood. Depending on how good the latter works the game might well be worth playing. In other words, it might turn out to have a lot of stuff a la Divine Divinity, or just be a Fable. Hard to tell yet, really.

The combat itself looked fairly boring, your standard dodge around jump around shoot/smash stuff quick, but again that depends on how the combo system works and whether there's some interesting magics to be had. I don't think they've shown enough meat here yet.

I can generally forgive shoddy gameplay when the setting/art direction/music of a game appeals to me (for example: Elder Scrolls, Gothic, Divinity series), but not the entire way around. So I'll give this a pass.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

That's amazingly little content in a 30 minute preview. Going on killing sprees don't interest me though, and it seems that the majority of preview was assaulting random people.

Hopefully, in the PC version, you don't have to pause to quaff a potion.

It's still appealing to me though. A wide open world to play around in, lots of stuff to do, and I like action gameplay just fine.

Also, from the game forum...

The Norse influence is at least something new to the classic, Tolkien elves, not that I don't like them as well.

Even as someone who doesn't like Lord of the Rings, this makes me said.

This german video shows PC gameplay.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

German adverts. Interesting.

The visuals are still awful, or rather, really strange mixes of colours and styles, but we do get a bit better look at the combat. It's not promising how slow, stupid and braindead the enemies are in that boss fight - though it could be the tutorial + easy difficulty, or something. Perhaps. At least your character seems quite responsive.

The skills/abilities look nice.

For all those big names the game looks pretty generic. You could have convinced me I was looking at a Dragon Age conversion or something.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

360 demo is supposed to be up already. PC demo is not up just yet. Unless it went up in the past hour or so.

Other bit of news is that they'll be able to talk about the Steam release later today according to the Community Manager.

Edit: And the PC demo is up on Origin.

Woooo, haaaaaats

Now to cancel my Amazon order in favor of this one. Interesting note, EA games is not publishing the Steam release.

I'll likely pick up the Steam edition.

As many games as I have on Steam, I'm sure one day the company will go belly up or someone will hack into their servers or aliens will melt Gabe Newell down to make an art sculpture. It's bound to happen.

I wish the demo were available without another program attached. I'm at work, and I'd hope to D/L it to a flash drive so I could play it as soon as I got home.

im sure it was as steam planned, but after so many holiday sales... my game library is now heavily steam-related, and i'll be in a mighty big pickle if they ever got bought out or shut down, but its gotten so big, i imagine whatever catastrophe would happen would happen gradually enough that most users won't realize they are now doomed members/victims of the steampocalypse

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Catastrophe, as if Valve would suddenly go out of business?

Even if they would, they would have to go out of business in an orderly fashion, meaning they'd have to provide a tool/patch/client update that allows you to play all the games you already got downloaded. Plus at least a 1 month warning so you can actually download all the stuff you need before the servers get shutdown.

The more likely outcome though would be that some Chinese IT giant just takes over the remaining assets.

The most likely outcome though would be that Gabe ate the Internets.

Edited by Morgoth

Getting back on topic, I'm pretty sure this is going to be one of those try before you buy titles.

Preferably, borrow and try all the way to the end then return and forget about it.

On a related note: do we really need more action RPG's?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.