Kingdoms Of Amalur Thoughts

Chippy

Thought people could share some thoughts on this because (I'm lazy and I can't be bothered to research it in depth) well, because sharing is good.

Positive thoughts so far:

Crafting looks interesting - that's to say its got crafting.

You can multicalss, but I don't know if there's an xp cap, and I'm assuming the destinies/kits mean arn' just varied ways of doing the same thing.

Negative thoughts:

I've got a backgound in metalwork and don't normally find this stuff too disturbing - but the weapons look like giant pulsating sex toys. There's just no denying this, the creatures look like they're gonna enjoy being prodded to death. It's so bad I might have to wait for someone to release a mod before I decide to buy - never thought I'd be in that situation.

... the weapons look like giant pulsating sex toys. There's just no denying this...

2010-07-22-reckoning.jpg

kingdom_of_amalur_reckoning_alabastra_crystals.jpg

Kingdoms-of-Amalur.jpg

You must have some oddly shaped sex toys.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Setting seems unimpressive. The well of souls and "fateless" concepts merited a roll of the eyes when I see that trailer.

But, the combat looks good. Not many RPGs with combo systems out there. And that's merited a pre-order from me. The demo is out next week and I'll see if I keep the pre-order from there. The build options also look very interesting. They've got a set of destiny cards for all of the class combos, so that hopefully means their synergies work well.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Style and setting is certainly not everyone's cup of tea (though I have to admit Amalur does look a bit refreshing from all these other medieval, or "dark fantasy" (lol) style western RPGs out there), but what eventually makes or breaks an RPG for me is the writing, wit, characters, atmosphere and quest design.

Not sure if Salvatore and Rolston are good at those things, but I'm certainly looking forward to find out next week with the demo.

Oddly enough the combat is a negative point for myself, with the oversized weapons and exaggerated animations it seems a little silly; for wont of a better word. That said the actual implementation of the mechanics seems sharp and responsive. The drawing and use of the weapons and shields seems a little too responsive however, the shield seems to magically appear from nowhere when blocking is implemented and weapons appear in hand without being drawn or visibly equipped. Small, anal details that will most likely wear upon me the more I play, they violate my personal (and I must admit rather petty) code of verisimilitude.

As for the setting, it seems to be the usual mish mash of celtic (Sidhe, Tuatha) and norse (Dokkalfar, Liosalfar) elements that are becoming a way bit overused and conversely; not explored in enough detail to draw my interest. The colourful palette is refreshing however, as is the distinctive character design. I'm beginning to detest the very notion of other species in games however, be they Elf, Gnome or Dwarf; yes they evoke certain easily recognisable qualities but these could be represented by different races of humanity with very little effort and thus allow a more cosmopolitan racial mix (as an added bonus.)

How I ramble; proof of the pudding will be in the eating, or playing of the demo in this case.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Looks like it would be worth a demo. Linky anyone?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

... the weapons look like giant pulsating sex toys. There's just no denying this...

You must have some oddly shaped sex toys.

:)

There's no doubt they will connect though - gone are the days of your character standing there stabbing at a dragon with a dagger from meters away. But I'm still going to be making choices based on appearances. I'm that shallow.

"There's already a topic about this game".

-Oops, missed that. Don't know whether to bump that or see if this is locked.

As far as the story goes it will be intersting to see if R.A Salvatore's history is implemented in the game. New Vegas was brilliant because each faction reacted to you based on reputation with them. I hope his history/backstory won't be just that.

Although I doubt it will be as adult orientated as Spawn - but then I think the discussion has been had over whats mature. For me it is just as much the big baddie sabotaging iron with magic to cripple an area for economic/political gain, as it is the fight between various demons over the right to reign in hell.

Either way, if they set the tone right it should be good.

Edited by Chippy

Oddly enough the combat is a negative point for myself, with the oversized weapons and exaggerated animations it seems a little silly; for wont of a better word. That said the actual implementation of the mechanics seems sharp and responsive. The drawing and use of the weapons and shields seems a little too responsive however, the shield seems to magically appear from nowhere when blocking is implemented and weapons appear in hand without being drawn or visibly equipped. Small, anal details that will most likely wear upon me the more I play, they violate my personal (and I must admit rather petty) code of verisimilitude.

As for the setting, it seems to be the usual mish mash of celtic (Sidhe, Tuatha) and norse (Dokkalfar, Liosalfar) elements that are becoming a way bit overused and conversely; not explored in enough detail to draw my interest. The colourful palette is refreshing however, as is the distinctive character design. I'm beginning to detest the very notion of other species in games however, be they Elf, Gnome or Dwarf; yes they evoke certain easily recognisable qualities but these could be represented by different races of humanity with very little effort and thus allow a more cosmopolitan racial mix (as an added bonus.)

How I ramble; proof of the pudding will be in the eating, or playing of the demo in this case.

What he said.

Btw, I thought the huge weapon syndrome was a Japanese only disease. Somebody take McFarlane's anime away from him.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

The game looks and plays like one of those Korean action MMOs.

Tell me then, were did you find that demo leak? I wanna play it now, too!

Why waste your bandwidth when you can simply watch and draw your conclusions.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Btw, I thought the huge weapon syndrome was a Japanese only disease. Somebody take McFarlane's anime away from him.

It's been present in Dragon Age 2 too, and I'm sure there are other western RPGs with that kind of equipment (the axes and hammers in Planescape : Torment were huge, and they were animated as one-handed). Personally, I'm not bothered as much by the size of the two-handed swords than by the size of the supposed 'daggers'. Also the fanciness of most of the designs. At least Guts' blade is just a big chunk of metal without any decorations, and attached to a grip, and became used as a sort of accident.

Edited by Sannom

This was demo'ed for us at PAX East last year. I thought the game looked good, voice acting was top notch (the parts we heard) and the crafting system was very DA1-esque. And the combat seemed very dynamic and engaging. If you want to see the video I got head over to my blog on my site, I got a whole page of notes, info and video on this game taken last year.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente