Kingdoms Of Amalur Thoughts

Chippy

Personally, I have no doubt thats its going to be a really good "game".

Why are you putting "game" into quoting marks?

Yes, the tutorial area in the demo was a drag, but I liked the combat, sneaking and character development nonetheless. Plus no Garrus on Tali secks stupidity. I think the game has potential, so I'm gonna probably pick it up and play ME3 at some later point when I have time/gets cheaper. I'm right now not commited to play more than 1 game every 1-2 months anyway.

honestly im pretty surprised at the high review. Still, my first impression was so negative, i don't think i'd pay more than half price for it unless it starts getting rave reviews from everyone under the sun

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

.... that just blew my mind. i bought dead space 2 because of similar, very surprising, high reviews - only to find out the game was pretty much garbage.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Online reviews anyway.

Payed mags are generally better, since they can't get away with garbage like online sites can...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Online reviews anyway.

Payed mags are generally better, since they can't get away with garbage like online sites can...

No, generally speaking magazines follow pretty much the same template as big online websites. There are few exceptions like EDGE, but that's it.

"Competition-shaming" is a big bold, though. I honestly don't see in what way this is, say, superior to Mass Effect 2 which had competent if repetitive third-person shooter combat, or Dark Souls, which has the best statistics-melee combat interplay I've seen so far, and some of the best loot I've seen in years.

Review scores are useless information, the information that comes before them aren't.

And no gamer reviews are just as useless.

IGN's review barely has any factual information inside, so it's hardly useful from that point of view too. It talks about "competition-shaming gameplay", but doesn't explain exactly why.

Yes, the tutorial area in the demo was a drag, but I liked the combat, sneaking and character development nonetheless. Plus no Garrus on Tali secks stupidity. I think the game has potential, so I'm gonna probably pick it up and play ME3 at some later point when I have time/gets cheaper. I'm right now not commited to play more than 1 game every 1-2 months anyway.

Hey Morgoth, what system are you planning on picking up KOA for? Xbox, PS3, or PC? I assuming PC.

It talks about "competition-shaming gameplay", but doesn't explain exactly why.

Maybe it brings other companies shame to see how crappy a port EA can shove us (seriously, that demo was one of the buggiest pieces of software you find) down our throat? And they all wanted to be able to do that... ???

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

It talks about "competition-shaming gameplay", but doesn't explain exactly why.

Maybe it brings other companies shame to see how crappy a port EA can shove us (seriously, that demo was one of the buggiest pieces of software you find) down our throat? And they all wanted to be able to do that... ???

I wouldn't call the port crappy at all, especially considering we're writing on Obsidian Entertainment forums, and they've produced far worse PC versions. I still don't see anything competition-shaming about their brawler-like combat. It's smooth sure, but it seems in many ways like Mass Effect 2: competent but utterly inferior to games that fall squarely in the genre.

EDIT: I'm talking only based on the demo of course.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Hey Morgoth, what system are you planning on picking up KOA for? Xbox, PS3, or PC? I assuming PC.

Yes. Why?

Wanted to check, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to play it on. I know the pc will look the best, but there are some good deals on the console versions, so I hadn't made up my mind and was wondering what route others were going, like steam or retail?

IGN's review barely has any factual information inside, so it's hardly useful from that point of view too. It talks about "competition-shaming gameplay", but doesn't explain exactly why.

Well my point was about reviews in general.

I mean a reviewer can give Halo 4 a 10, but that doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy it. They can also give the next Dynasty Warriors Empire game a 5, but I still know I'm going to get it and enjoy it(I know bad taste). Reviews should be used as an informational tool to see if it's a type of game you enjoy. Not as a bilble as to which games you get.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I probably going to give it a go, combat was refreshing, atmosphere was kind of nice and relaxing but the tons of bugs in it put me off a bit and i'm no fan of loose camera either but it's said to be fixed so i hope for the best, can't judge quest, story and characters accordingly from the small demo though and with that said i'm still a bit worried that the PC version is still very buggy for a game of this scope so i will wait for some reviews first before picking it up to have some sort of opinion.

Well my point was about reviews in general.

I mean a reviewer can give Halo 4 a 10, but that doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy it. They can also give the next Dynasty Warriors Empire game a 5, but I still know I'm going to get it and enjoy it(I know bad taste). Reviews should be used as an informational tool to see if it's a type of game you enjoy. Not as a bilble as to which games you get.

The important thing is to find a reviewer whose tastes in games is similar to your own.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Is that even reasonable to do? Find a reviewer with similar tastes? Maybe you'll find X reviewer at Y website. But he's not even reviewing Z game that you're curious about, that's off on another reviewer at the publication. What then? We're a far cry from movie reviews where it seems like every major release you can find Ebert's take on it. Though Sterling seems to pop his head up every single time I hear about a game.

A good review should explain what a game does and if it does those things well. I think they do it fairly well, but sometimes it often still lacks sufficient detail. Sometimes they accentuate the negative, despite ending positively. Leaving the reader to wonder where the positive came from. My biggest complaint is when they gloss over entire features of the game because they're writing for the target audience that knows all about it, but I'm looking to break into the series or genre. Maybe not their fault.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

At least there aren't any Orcs and Dwarves.

God I'm so tired of Tolkien-inspired fantasy.

Sorry, going back to quite an older post here.

But yes, Dwarves ARE in the world of Amalur, infact they just had a section of the official website reserved for their description. They're called Dvegre or something like that. The devs claimed the DLC will introduce other races, and the Dwarves are very high on that list, you can bet you'll be seeing them soon. And c'mon, R.A. Salvatore created the world... that guy LOVES dwarves.

Good news is, they're not tolkein inspired.

These Dwarves are brutal and violent raiders, more like vikings/pirates than Gimli. They are very much like the Dwarves in RA.'s demon wars books. And those dwarves are a huge step away from the generic mining dwarves, and are extremely intresting. They depart from their typical fantasy counterpart more than the elves and gnomes, THAT's for sure.

As a huge fan of Dwarves I'm freaking thrilled!

On a seperate note, I feel bad this game is being bashed so much. The reason being it seems so generic at first glance. But the VAST and incredibly detailed lore, the surprsingly intresting story, and awesome combat (in a genre that often lacks awesome combat) really deserve credit.

Another thing of note is the sidequests actually seem intresting. Which is something recent RPG's have really fallen short of recently. SIGH, I miss when games like Baldur's Gate 2 gave us side-quests that were nearly as intresting as the main story line.

Edited by Wishpig

Bashed so much? I must say, for this forum, this game has been surprisingly well received (based on the demo). On this forum everfything that's not Planescape: Torment or turnbased from a century ago usually brings out all the negative superlatives (atrocious, who the hell uses that word in real life, seriously?) in people.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Bashed so much? I must say, for this forum, this game has been surprisingly well received (based on the demo). On this forum everfything that's not Planescape: Torment or turnbased from a century ago usually brings out all the negative superlatives (atrocious, who the hell uses that word in real life, seriously?) in people.

I wasn't talking specifically about this forum, I mean in general.