RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

The issue THQ has is that their past few iterations of some of their better franchises have SUCKED.

Red Faction Armageddon for example failed, as did homefront (rather spectacularly)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The issue THQ has is that their past few iterations of some of their better franchises have SUCKED.

Red Faction Armageddon for example failed, as did homefront (rather spectacularly)

But they came back off it with Saints Row:The Third which has done more than well.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

SR3 didn't do well enough though. U-draw is the catalyst for their current problem but their primary problem is that while every other large publisher has one or more cash cow WOW/ COD/ BF/ Sims/ GTA/ AssCreed/ Madden that will reliably supply them with periodic Large Wodges of Dosh THQ's successes aren't large enough to recover from problems or build up margin for error. 2k and Ubisoft would be in the same boat (even more really, neither of them are in great shape as it is) if they didn't have GTA or AssCreed.

Some of THQ's ideas have been a bit... harebrained too. They planned a Red Faction TV show, iirc.

THQ's BIGGEST stuff has been Saints Row for money. But having that solitary bet of guaranteed income compared to the piles of drivel that they release or bet badly on is probably putting a dent in their bottom line.

Look at their STEAM catalogue. It's Saints Row, Relic (Warhammer/Company of Heroes) and a few of the niche war-sim games. Metro and Homefront are there, sure, but Metro was never expected to be big, and Homefront was a rather dedicated failure.

All in all, they develop either schlock (been digging through their various online databases... a LOT of movie tie ins), or rather niche games. The broadest appeal game has to be Saint's Row, and that's so over the top that you might no be able to get a parent to buy it in favor of GTA IV.

I can see them having to restructure, and maybe being bought out... but I'm not sure.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft have plans to announce Next-Gen consoles at E3 2012.

Makes sense, at least for Sony. They have yet to recoup their losses for their expensive toay.

MS on the other hand just had the tape out of their processor in December 2011, meaning the hardware is pretty much finalised in 2012. Then somewhere in 2013, they're gonna Blitz-announce the Xbox Next (with Sony having her pants down) and release the console a couple months later in conjunction with a Blitz-marketing campaign, and having some big launch games ready at that time.

What's wrong with scoring in percentage?

Because nobody knows what the heck it means.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

?

100% = 10/10. At least the percentage gives a more subtle range.

What's so difficult about that to grasp?

Because the distinctions in the subtle range are too subtle for anyone to actually understand. What does the difference between a 72 score and 73 score actually mean? Yes, one is better, but how was that slight distinction actually achieved and recognized?

maybe by comparing it to other games that scored a 72 and 73 in the past?

i agree that it would have lots of minor inconsistencies. i think the best scale is 1-10, in .25 increments.

lots of games imo deserve 6.75-9.25, but very few deserve a 9.5 or higher

edit: obviously this scale still ends up with a 7.5 being "average" (like grades in school), which makes one question why bother including a 1-5, maybe you don't and just say FAIL if a game scores below a 6?

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The problem here is you are dealing with a completely subjective scale. When I give a student 73% on a test, it is very clear where they lost points. Even on something like an essay, we have rubrics that make it very clear where points were lost. Games just don't have that.

Maybe it would be possible to create a standardized rubric for the media and games. You would need a different one for each genre, and reviewers would need to be trained in how to recognize all the criteria. I guess it could work.

Some do try and do metriced reviews, scores out of ten for a range of different categories like sound graphics etc. It doesn't really work all that well though, not least because the problems with game reviews goes a lot deeper than just the scoring system, extending to short deadlines, being beholden almost entirely to the people you are reviewing and, frankly, a lot of reviewers being simply dreadful at reviewing. It's also fundamentally subjective in everything except narrow technical aspects.

All game reviewers should in theory rate at least graphics objectively.

In practice they just decide on the overall score and then write made-up nonsense in all the categories that were supposed to be the 'objective' basis for it.

if i remember right from back in the day: gamepro magazine didn't give an overall score, they gave just the scores for graphics, sound, gameplay, and "fun factor"

their competition on the other hand, EGM, just gave a single score, but they had a score from not just ONE reviewer, but 3-4 PER game. of course, that was back when games were much shorter usually (snes, genesis etc) and came out far less often

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

they're looking for investors now, it's probably not actually being developed

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

From October 2011

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/55954/sesslers-...-i-hate-numbers

I know there's been a small amount of discussion on rating system as a result of the linked Giantbomb articles. It seems Adam Sessler really really hates numbers. "Everytime I have to come up with one of those numbers, just imagine a little piece of me dying."

I give the rant 4.7 stars.

When I watched the show, his personal editorials for that and the series were actually the most honest part of that network I'd seen.

Protoss confirmed to be in XCOM: EU

awehd.jpg

"My Life for Aiur!"

That poor alien. Can you imagine a cross body block with those blades?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.