Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Gorth

I think there are plenty of problems with the game, many carrying over from Oblivion. Reviewers either don't see them or don't care about them but I definitely think we'll see a similar reaction as with Oblivion as time passes when people get past the whole "star-struck" feeling of such a beautiful world. Definitely think Skyrim will be better regarded overall though, amidst the angry RPG pessimists as well.

The world is very well done though, it's actually *fun* to explore this time around. This is easily the biggest and most important improvement for me personally. Which says something I think since I'm not usually one to "hitchhike" in games but really enjoying just travelling around the world in this game. I consider it a great purchase as I'm definitely enjoying myself. However, once I've seen most of the world and completed the majority of quests, I don't think I'll see much reason to return to the game beyond messing around with mods. Which is a shame since I consider replayability to be an important part of RPGs. But I mean, I can't complain about the length of the game. It's huge.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

i did a few sidequests and all the stuff for the companions, was on level 25, had 41 hours of gametime. decided to make a new character.

this new character will probably do a few sidequests and all the quests for the wizards, have about 40 hours of gametime, then i'll make a new character.

ditto for the thieves guild

and then again for the assassins guild

and then again for the main questline

so yeah, i should be getting my money's worth...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The world is very well done though, it's actually *fun* to explore this time around. This is easily the biggest and most important improvement for me personally. Which says something I think since I'm not usually one to "hitchhike" in games but really enjoying just travelling around the world in this game. I consider it a great purchase as I'm definitely enjoying myself. However, once I've seen most of the world and completed the majority of quests, I don't think I'll see much reason to return to the game beyond messing around with mods. Which is a shame since I consider replayability to be an important part of RPGs. But I mean, I can't complain about the length of the game. It's huge.

This is pretty much how I'm feeling at the moment. Love the explore, love the 1st-time seeing/doing, but not getting any sense of wanting to roll 6 characters or whatever to replay it over and over with different builds.

For me tho, I just think games like these become almost too big, so after I've done it once I don't want to do it all over again. There has to more incentive than "try a pure thief instead of a mage" for me to replay something of this scope/time investment, and I'm not feeling it. But this doesn't detract from it's core value, either, since even a once-thru is going to take a long time, and I'm enjoying it.

:lol:

I'm one of those that doesn't mind the overall UI all that much, but ... yes, all of that is very true. Thing I'm disliking the most at the moment is no indication of what buffs I have on/how much longer they'll last while in-game itself. I know there's the "Effects" menu, but I want to know while in combat that I'm about out of time on my resist fire potion, not have to repeatedly pause the game and check some menu. Is there a way to do that that I'm missing?

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I just think games like these become almost too big.

Seeing as the trend has gone towards shorter and shorter, I'm just happy that some studios are going in the opposite direction. I don't think Baldur's Gate would've been as epic had it only been 20 hours long.

Fortune favors the bald.

I just think games like these become almost too big.

Seeing as the trend has gone towards shorter and shorter, I'm just happy that some studios are going in the opposite direction. I don't think Baldur's Gate would've been as epic had it only been 20 hours long.

Oh I agree in principle. You just have to understand that my playstyle is very slow. All the ppl these days who say "Rage/Borderlands/Diablo/pick a game name" is a 20 hour game, I have to double or even triple that time (for the first run thru at least). I spent maybe a total of 600+ hours on FNV, but that was two complete runs and many many many partial runs. .... I have a feeling if I did that with Skyrim, my hours would stack up to maybe 2000 and that's too much for me. But I know many love that. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

the UI is terrible, why can't you see the equipment slots on your character? it's completely mindboggling.

you know its bad when your UI is less functional than the ones you were making 10+ years ago...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Something cool I noticed today, after joining up with the Stormcloaks I wandered through a Legion camp I had previously visited, expecting the usual derpery I assumed they would still be friendly, I was very wrong and they ran me down like a dog :lol:

As for the release hype wearing off I dare say the rot will set in as the game starts to crash and bug out, when I'm forced into get down to the bones of the system and fix issues the magic *always* goes away.

*edit*

Yeah the UI is an insult.

Edited by WDeranged

Sincerely considering a restart. I've been playing a destruction/conjuration/illusion mage that sneaks alot and crafts just for the heck of it. Now I'm finding myself wishing I didn't have those points in illusion and had been crafting heavy armor and enchanting it for a real purpose.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've been playing sneak/archery + illusion/conjuration, but at level 20 my illusion is still at 20, so I trotted over to Winterhold to get some training.

Leaving the heavy armour/smithing stuff for a second playthrough, i.e. packin' steel, but we'll see how I wear the game out.

i mentioned earlier, i did restart already

went from a sneaky archer to an in-your-face axe and frost wielding orc. im having even more fun, though i did enjoy being an archer, for some reason this game just makes me want to act like a barbarian. probably the nordic scenery?

doing a lot of crafting to make the best armor i can to make up for the fact that i don't have a shield

Illusion levels lightning fast. Just cast Muffle over and over again. Best mage school by far, especially once you can control Centurions.

Illusion is a really good school. It just sucks that it takes 90 skill before it's useful in most dungeons. Over half the dungeons I've fought in were against undead.

The Dremora Lord in late Conjuration beats out everything else, so I can accept not having Illusion.

Meh, I only just learnt muffle. Forgot about it somehow. I'm not a big fan of spamming spells artificially.

Where is paralyse and chameleon. Invisibility kinda sucks, all it does is let you sneak past someones' FOV, it doesn't actually help you remain undetected or do anything if you are already detected. There is no escaping spamming muffle constantly if you want to advance to make the school useful though. I would just do it whenever I was running errands and selling junk from a dungeon haul. Silent casting is pretty good, you can summon from your hiding place.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Paralyze is alteration, as I recall. Chameleon has been replaced with muffle.

My most used shout is the silent one that lets you see 'life auras.' It's great for sneaking. Though I'm not sure why the undead have life auras.

So, when will the release hype wear off? How far away are we from people starting to declare Skyrim as bland and uninspired?

I don't think that will happen.

Daggerfall > Morrowind ~ Skyrim > Arena > Oblivion.

1. What about Fallout 3?

2. What exactly are you comparing?

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

My ultimate back up plan for enemies way out of my league: muffle + paralysis potion + 15x dagger backstab.

If they can't be sneaked upon it's Flame Atronach and a lot of running around. This happens quite ofteno n Master.

My ultimate back up plan for enemies way out of my league: muffle + paralysis potion + 15x dagger backstab.

You should join the brotherhood, you get a set of gauntlets that give double sneak attack damage.. The 30x multiplier usually kills anything. :p

Fortune favors the bald.