RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

But then again I don't think either one of those games had as much recycled maps as DA2.

So "amount of recycled maps" is now a measure of its own, separate of how good/bad the game is? =]

Not just that. The game certainly had more flaws. For example the boss fights were pretty damn annoying. Not hard, just annoying and boring. I don't like to micromanage 4 guys to be out of LOS in a long long fight. Not that normal fights were any better with the multiple waves of enemies spawning "out of nowhere". And don't get me even started on that "epic" dragon fight. And the plot felt a bit retarded.

I especially liked how the mage felt like he had to turn into a abomination since the fight was going so bad. Except I was slaughtering the damn Templars and none of the mages got killed...

And basically the game forced me to have Anders around, because none of the other mages that were available for me could actually heal. All the playersexual companions, enough is enough. I don't want to romance every damn companion in the game.

Most of it comes down to the game just being so much worse than Dragon Age: Origins.

Hate the living, love the dead.

They certainly weren't lazy.

They had a very small execution window, even for a sequel.

The problem with DA2 wasn't so much they were lazy, more that they couldn't actually get enough content in to hit the release.

Map recycling was the least of the problems DA2 had.

I'm not keen on using bad planning as an excuse, I doubt they could'nt have managed to get more of it in there, but I am biased against BioWare in this case.

But yeah, it was the least of the games worries.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It sucked = it was very well executed, some of the best I have seen ever.

wat? doesn't... compute

I meant from an artistic standpoint. I couldn't care less about its script or directing, it's only a trailer

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

wat? doesn't... compute

I meant from an artistic standpoint. I couldn't care less about its script or directing, it's only a trailer

From a game perspective it does suck. Only tells us Blizzard is awesome at CG, wich is no news. =]

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

how does it suck from a game perspective if it's a trailer? or do you mean you'd rather watch a gameplay video?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

how does it suck from a game perspective if it's a trailer? or do you mean you'd rather watch a gameplay video?

Exactly, you don't get any actual information about the game. Except that you could surmise you'll get a quest from that girl in the game for finding Deckard. You don't get to know how the game looks, plays or sounds.

Gameplay is preferable in my opinion. Don't know for certain if that's where Nepenthe comes from, but I reckon I'm not far off.

I'm not keen on using bad planning as an excuse, I doubt they could'nt have managed to get more of it in there, but I am biased against BioWare in this case.

But yeah, it was the least of the games worries.

I don't even think it was bad planning. It's a more like a crappy executive decision (get a sequel out there as fast as possible), leaving the development team with very little time. Doesn't magically make the game better, but I don't think it's the developers that should be blamed.

I don't even think it was bad planning. It's a more like a crappy executive decision (get a sequel out there as fast as possible), leaving the development team with very little time. Doesn't magically make the game better, but I don't think it's the developers that should be blamed.

And that does'nt fall under the category of bad planning?

Not necessarily. If you simply do not have enough time no planning, no matter how excellent, will do anything but mitigate problems because the ultimate problem is trying to do too much.

Personally I think they did have enough time, though it would be a tight squeeze. The main problem was trying to make a game with some fundamental changes without allowing enough time to check that they actually worked properly and to fix what needed fixing. Ultimately it's likely to be a combination of both unrealistic top down management dictates (narrow release window/ fast turn around) and poor project management.

I think that part of the problem; at least on Blizzard's case, is managing. They have the numbers to deliver on schedule but it's harder to keep overview on every aspect, so I don't think that it will have major flaws but I do expect a fair amount of bugs. Unless they try to do something risky, then there will be delays followed by a horrible release.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"but that doesn't change the fact that Dragon Age 2 did hurt their overall reputation as a company and a brand. "

DA2 didn't hurt their overall reputation as a company and a brand at all. It sold 2mil+ in about a month depsite having a slsahed budget and development time. I find it hilarious that people are trying to claim DS3 was a success deopsiute selling less than a mil copies. L0L

BIo's rep is fabsolutely fine else nobodyn would care about the silly C&C thing under BIO's banner or the hype machine they got at the VGA awards. ME3, btw, was voted game most looked forward to in 2012. So.. hwqoe xactly... is the BIO brand hurt? That's pretty impressive status consideirng the other comapnies with AAA titles out due next year.

And, DA2 is FAR from BIO's worst. BG1, NWN OC, KOTOR, MDK2, SS, SOU, and TOTSC coast are worse.

GAME OVER, dude, GAME OVER.

P.S. You need to look at the big picture not the handful of interent gaming nerds you inetract with online to decide these things.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

P.S. You need to look at the big picture not the handful of interent gaming nerds you inetract with online to decide these things.

Even in the big picture DA2 did hurt BioWare somewhat. Will it hurt ME3 sales? Most likely not, since that's a different franchise and people will want to see how their journey ends. BioWare has a good reputation, so one mistake like DA2 isn't a complete disaster for them. They will lose some sales on (initially at least) on the next Dragon Age game, since people will remember the faults of that game (even those who don't post on Codex). But if it gets great reviews again, those same people will most likely forgive BioWare and buy the damn game later on. But I don't think the collective butthurt is big enough yet, to make a real impact on the sales of the next Dragon Age game. For me and couple of my friends it bumped Dragon Age from 1st day purchase to something I/they will consider buying after reading enough of reviews.

Most of all, Dragon Age 2 made EA look like evil corporation (again), with their ridicilous schedule.

Hate the living, love the dead.

wat? doesn't... compute

From an art viewpoint great stuff.

As a trailer though, it was poo.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I remember it was the ONLY problem DA2 had when I played it through, thrice.

I think I was supposed to say that. :o

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I remember it was the ONLY problem DA2 had when I played it through, thrice.

Wait, am I really the only person who had a problem with the

Me: I love mages. Mages are great. Yay, mages!

Game: You must work for the Templars!

Mages: He works for the Templars, GET HIM!

thing?

Because I'm the only one that complains about it. :o

Followed by:

Good Templar working with Mages: Hold up, I think he actually likes Mages.

Mages: He likes Mages, GET HIM!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 in a state of halflife. Edited by Azdeus

Wait, am I really the only person who had a problem with the
Me: I love mages. Mages are great. Yay, mages!

Game: You must work for the Templars!

Mages: He works for the Templars, GET HIM!

thing?

Because I'm the only one that complains about it. :o

Followed by:

Good Templar working with Mages: Hold up, I think he actually likes Mages.

Mages: He likes Mages, GET HIM!

That was part of the game's charm.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Ray Muzyka interview about Generals 2

Bioware + AAA strategy + PC exclusive = Someone will cry me a river about piracy after release...

Fixed for ya :lol:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Industrygamer interview with Chris Avellone.

Was dissapointed to read;

Of course, one of the greatest things about digital distribution is what it does to reduce the used game market. I hope digital distribution stabs the used game market in the heart.

Industrygamer interview with Chris Avellone.

Was dissapointed to read;

Of course, one of the greatest things about digital distribution is what it does to reduce the used game market. I hope digital distribution stabs the used game market in the heart.

Well, he's kinda telling the truth. The Used games market is significantly chopping into the income of the devs and publishers. It's why Gamestop and other companies shove them onto you.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well, he's kinda telling the truth. The Used games market is significantly chopping into the income of the devs and publishers. It's why Gamestop and other companies shove them onto you.

Dunno, I've never seen any good numbers on it, and how do you outweigh it with regards to goodwill from gamers and such?

If anything I'd rather see them (Not specifically Obsidian) produce games that you don't want to get rid of.

Edited by Azdeus

Chris Avellones opinion is not about income in fact it is non rage worthy at all.

For it to be about the money made from sales they should get money from sales in the first place. Don't you think?

Now, what does Chris Avellone care about?

Working on interesting projects.

So the question you should be asking yourself is:

"Do Used Game Sales impact the publishers decision to take risks and work on niche games?"

Edited by C2B