RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

CoM_Solaufein

The latest Duke Nukem offering suddenly looks like a cerebral masterpiece :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The latest Duke Nukem offering suddenly looks like a cerebral masterpiece :)

Make the enemy fight himself?

*gasp*

I haven't seen anything like that since... Baldur's Gate.

I don't know if I'm just prejudiced by it being EA games, but I agree with Gorth. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm in agreement with Gorth and Walsingham here.

And I thought you could'nt ever get shafted worse than the Fallout franchise. Sorry Bethesda!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm in agreement with Gorth and Walsingham here.

And I thought you could'nt ever get shafted worse than the Fallout franchise. Sorry Bethesda!

Watch this space for future posts about the x-com and jagged alliance spin-off games >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, I've seen videos on both of them, atleast the Jagged Alliance franchise "only" lost the TB mechanic of itself from what I've seen.

X-Com does get shafted pretty thoroughly too though, but I have'nt played the original the same way I've played Syndicate and JA2.

I seriously need a "SEP field".

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Indeed. But then again, most introduction levels are too easy/boring.

Possibly, but I won't hold hope that suddenly combat wil become exciting and fun from that

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have to say that as a longtime super-nutty hardcore Jagged Alliance 2 fanboy, the current version of Jagged alliance 3 (how many versions have there been now?), looks...actually OK from a tactical point of view.

How it plays from a strategy standpoint is yet to be determined.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I have to say that as a longtime super-nutty hardcore Jagged Alliance 2 fanboy, the current version of Jagged alliance 3 (how many versions have there been now?), looks...actually OK from a tactical point of view.

How it plays from a strategy standpoint is yet to be determined.

How well implemented is the destructible environment? The quirky personalities? The control of team members and squads? etc. Not really seeing anything that doesn't look like any other shooter out there yet.

Crossing fingers and hoping that the new Carmageddon gets released some day.

I laugh at you all.

I laugh at Muslamic ray guns.

Also some stuff about the 40k MMOG - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.p...558#post5839558

Relic is lending a very small hand in the overall development of dmo. Winking, a chinese based developer is also on board. They helped with Spacemarine as well.

Vigil is doing 90% of the work. Most of the shared work load is art, and animation.

Spacemarine is built on the same engine as darksiders (and darksiders 2 respectively)

Dmo is using the same engine, with gameplay (at least combat) akin to Spacemarine.

Contrary to what I was told, the art style is NOT like Spacemarine, rather the whole game is more like darksiders (1 & 2), very stylized. The videos released at the last E3 are fairly accurate to the current state of the art style. Less realistic.

Revision to what I was told by the rep, is that Spring 2012 is unlikely... maybe for more announcements on the game's progress. Though a Darsiders 2 release in spring is likely, Vigil is working on both.

Class related notes:

Races broadly put into forces of "Order" and "Disorder" similar to 40K World-wide campaigns.

The "spacemarine" is a class, with a chaos counterpart.

Tactical, heavy, assault as specialties.

Each class starts as something familiar, and through progression changes.Ie. Scout to Marine

Other classes include: psyker, techpriest, and assassin

The assassin starts as a guardsman-esque character.

Chaos have similar counterparts, cultist themed.

Instead of an assassin, think demon host.

Orks are with Chaos (disorder), Eldar are with the Imperium of man (order)

Ork class rundown: Nob, mekboy, runt herda, mad dok

Eldar class rundown: Scorpion, Avenger, Warlock, Reaper

Expect Tau & Dark Eldar later, likely an expansion, though dark eldar npcs will be present on release, as well as Necron, and Tyranids. (Interesting idea, going for the 'faceless' races as NPCs, though I suspect you won't be getting quests from the Swarmlord!)

60 character levels.

Gameplay related notes:

A crashed space hulk will be one of the zones.

Another zone will take place on an Imperial Cruiser, and Chaos Cruiser.

Expect several instanced missions much like WoW, as well as open world.

It will include instanced & open world pvp.

Players will be able to dual weild things like pistols and melee weapons... yes that means two chain swords.

The featured chapter is Black Templars. (As evidenced by the banner art)

The featured chaos god is Khorne, at least for playable

Word Bearers will also take a major role in the Playable chaos faction

Nurgle & Fabius Bile will have a big Chaos NPC presence. (I suspect not Nurgle himself, but perhaps Typhus?)

Possible shooter/RPG mode controls, like StarTrek Online.

Third person action, plays like Gears of War/Space Marine mixed together for shooting.

Melee is more like Space Marine/Darksiders, with the target lock on.

Blocking melee attacks is a maybe, sheilds may be NPC only.

NPC creatures vary from: Necromunda like humans, Chaos Cultists, Dark Eldar; from Grotesques to Warriors, Chaos Daemons and beasts, Orks, Grots, Guardsmen, defected Guardsmen, most of the minor Demons, Dreadnoughts, Tyranid Warriors, Genestealers and more.

Forgeworld things may be present. Thunderhawk, terrain sets, Aquila landers, FW-esque equipment on vehicles.

Environments range from snowy mountains, to the innards of a crashed space hulk... from cities destroyed, and orkified, to ancient eldar cities, overgrown with nids... from ancient battlefields, littered with the carcases of Titans and tanks, to a hive city, nostalgic with necromunda.... from the halls of Imperial Cruisers, to tge desecrated throne rooms of Chaos.

Everything is large, beefy, and sticks to 40k very well. People already invested in the background and game will progress at a snails pace, as we will be distracted by everything.

Left mouse uses the weapon in your character's left hand, Right mouse uses the weapon in your character's right hand. Rather cool mechanic.

All abilities have a cooldown... No spamminh your "3" key like most MMOs. This will likely annoy WoW diehards. This pleases me.

Melee combos - dual weilding gives new moves

There is sprinting.

"Guilds" will be present.

Team/party/squad size is 5

"Raid" size is 50... subject to change.

Ranged weapons have infinite ammo, but there is reloading, overheating, venting, and reloading.

Weapons rarely get to take full advantage of their range when inside... lots of cover and turning corners, it's very dynamic.

Hero classes are possible, unlocked once you get a character high enoigh level.

Imperium: Grey Knight

Chaos: Chaos Sorcerer

Ork: 'Ard boy or Weird boy

Eldar: Farseer

Hero classes will begin at higher level...

Likely 40.

A player progressing as a marine will do so as follows:

Lv. 0: an adept, think a marine wearing just carapace armor.

Lv. 10: more or less a scout.

Lv. 20: equipped like the marine character in th sm codex... forgot his name.

Lv. 30: a standard marine

Lv. 40 honor guard or Sergeant, some decoration

Lv. 50 sternguard, maybe captain.

Lv. 60 artificer armor, iron halos, the whole sha-bang.

Grey knight fits in fairly well at around 40.

Other classes progress similarly.

Misc. Notes

Tech priest are very, very pure adeptus mechamicus themed...Backpacks with a robot arm.

A cover system is implemented.Waist high cover and standing cover.

Cross platform is very possible.

Shooting mechanics will have aim assist

Similarly, melee attacks will lock on.

Abilities work similar to Warhammer Online. A common resource, then each class has a unique resource used with abilities.

Weapons inxrease in "coolness" as far as progression is concerned.

A lv. 1 autogun may be it's familiar form in necromunda and early IG... by lv 60, sone autoguns look cool enough for inquisitors to be using, lathered in fancy trim, aquilas, etc.

Same goes for other weapons.... think Call of Duty, as you unlock the various weapon upgrades, you guns start looking cooler.

Each class has 3 specialties.

Marine: Tactical, Devastator, Assault

Assassin/guardsman: the major assassin type, callidus, vindicare, eversor (however you spell it)

The Marine is by far the most flushed out.

most abilities are still very WIP.

Jump packs- not sure how they'll work

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Also some stuff about the 40k MMOG - [url=http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5839558#post5839558]http://www.warseer.com/forums

On one hand, no Tau in core game. On the other hand, Black Templars yay! \o/

I'm expecting my Emperor's Champion guys. >_<

Orks is made for raidin' and campin'.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Soo... in the insanity that is Saints Row 3, they have a "Sex appeal slider" for both genders. Basically this makes the "sexy bulges" on the boys and girls bigger and smaller.

Also, in the end of the trailer showing this off (I'm not posting where I found it becuase it's a pr0n centered cousin of kotaku) I saw what can only be called a "[sex toy] sword"

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well, he is clearly former military.

Do nowadays get real soldiers Strategy Guides for shooting people as well? >_<

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Any particular reason you think that anything churned out by Jim Sterling is deserving of hits?

His Duke Nukem episode was fairly thoughtful. IMO. Edited by Oner

he does have a point. I once tried looking for beat-em-up games for PS/PS2, that allowed 2 players to play through the game together, and it turned out not many games existed. Dynasty Warriors indeed plays like one, but in full 3D environment and with hordes of enemies. as for the "Citizen Kane of video games", I can't comment since I have no idea what he means

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.