RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

CoM_Solaufein

Eh, I'm still more interested in Saints Row then GTAV.

I like my odd forays into bat-**** crazy.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Ok, so to summarise, GTA is awesome because it's made by Rockstar who are awesome (because they make GTA). The game plays like a turd, but it's ok coz it's AWESOME. >_<

But to /sarcasm, I could make the same arguments about DA2 that WUE is making about GTA, so I'll just put it down as another enriching difference between people.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Was wondering how long that would take, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It goes without saying that the more stuff there is in a game, the less polished it can be, and Rockstar games are remarkably polished despite that obstacle. Add to that some very powerful escapism, accessibility, great production values and it's easy to see why they are so liked and why they're remarkable titles whether you like them or not (and I'm not a superfan of Rockstar games, honestly).

Considering people on this forum are willing to excuse role-playing games for being unpolished and buggy as hell, I can understand why they can excuse Grand Theft Auto for not having perfect shooting/driving mechanics.

I'm sure you can make some compelling argument about why Dragon Age II is good, but you can hardly use that reasoning since it's a game with a very focused, almost narrow scope in design and content. Then again, I never mentioned Dragon Age II in the first place, so I'm not the most indicated to reply on that point.

Oh, don't mistake me. I had fun with GTA 3, and Vice City just made me smile , San Andreas had its ups and downs but was fairly entertaining.

But GTAIV just.. I don't know, it turned into a grind rather then something I was enjoying exploring and playing.

Between the annoyance of getting the game started and dealing with the social club login or not, the games for windows stuff, and the sheer amount of time it took before you could actually get into the game proper.. then the months of glitches.. and just.. the storyline never really grabbed my attention. Maybe that was just the russian pessimism and bleakness bleeding in.. :) But yeah, it just sapped my enjoyment and I still haven't finished it. Every time I've tried it just.. hits a point where I am just totally uninterested in starting it up again.

Grand Theft Auto IV is, in my opinion, the worst of the modern (third person shooting) GTA. The story and writing are weak, unsure on whether they want to be a satire on the US or a gritty crime story (I heard Red Dead Redemption has similar problems, but I didn't get the chance to play it), the driving is all kinds of wonky. I never played Saint's Row, so it may well be that now that Rockstar has gone for the gritty feel they've kept walking that road paved by Vice City while also making use of much smaller budget. That said, I don't think it reduces the achievements of Rockstar, with all the problems they have.

gta 4 had better gunplay mechanics, but was a less fun overall game than the prior 3

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Saints Row 2, while having some bad port issues, just kept to the idea of being a slightly silly, over-the-top kind of open world.

It would slam you with stupid - but fun - ultra violence, and then actually provide some serious emotion, then blink you to a storyline scene that would make you wince, before sliding straight back into OTT silliness.

And everything I've seen of Saints Row the Third seems that they've kept that tongue firmly in cheek while making sure it's going to work fine on all game systems.

that's odd, I found GTA 4 to be the best in the series since GTA 2 :) everything about it is awesome. I wonder why am I in what seems to be a minority

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Was wondering how long that would take, heh.

If that's the obvious "oh, he's talking about DAII again, lulz", I wasn't the one to bring it up. But if it was actually something astute for a change, please enlighten me so I can enjoy it, too!

If that's the obvious "oh, he's talking about DAII again, lulz", I wasn't the one to bring it up. But if it was actually something astute for a change, please enlighten me so I can enjoy it, too!

Nope, not that at all. But keep it up :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not a big fan of open world games in general

Why do you hate our freedom? :)

Hmm, reminds me that I bought the big bundle of GTA games that I need to play someday, pending the eventual delivery of my new (and hopefully more stable) gfx card.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Not a big fan of open world games in general

Why do you hate our freedom? :lol:

For lack of a better term, they generally have a low intensity and the "commute" starts feeling like work, I guess. FONV is the only one that I've even remotely liked, and I've heard it's openworldness questioned, so... But then again, I probably play about 10 % of the games most people on this forum do and I do consider myself more of a casual gamer, even if some people tell me that makes no sense in a guy with thousands of posts in different gaming forums. :)

That's good though, it means Steam won't be the only big guy on the market - which should hopefully help with competitive prices... or maybe not.

Well, wouldn't it be better if these kind of services weren't owned by publishers or developers though?

EDIT: Just for the sake of completeness, I was more noting how some people seemed convinced that Origin was just a rebranding and how that turned out to not be true, for once.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

The more applications, the better.

That's good though, it means Steam won't be the only big guy on the market - which should hopefully help with competitive prices... or maybe not.

Well, wouldn't it be better if these kind of services weren't owned by publishers or developers though?

Like Impulse (now), Gamersgate, Direct2Drive, GreenManGaming, and Amazon.

The only way anyone will be able to compete with Steam at this point is with exclusives. Which kind of requires they be connected to content producers to get anything good.

Edit: Well, not compete. I'd say they all compete with Steam as it is. People do price compare. But it'll take something like that to quite get the marketshare quickly.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I worry that it will go the other way and Steam will have to charge more to compete with Origin and it's growing list of exclusives. The pricing plan for The Old Republic doesn't exactly bode well for us the consumer if EA gains a lot of ground.

One thing I would add is that even without support from other publishers, EA has an impressive list of franchises that it could make Origin-exclusive, I know that I will be using the service for things like Battlefield, the next Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Mirror's Edge and Dead Space titles ect. They will probably have most gamers using the service next year and from then making exclusive deals with other publishers will probably entice enough people into buying from them. Not that I think Steam is circling the drain, I just think that Origin actually can be a serious rival in a short (year or two?) kind of time-frame.

Edited by Serrano

This. Good competition is good service for the customer.

Although it will be annoying having to switch between them to play the various games you have on each, I'd imagine (but then again, how tedious is that). Maybe someone can make a unified client for them at that point, heh.

What was that about TOR's pricing plan, though ?