RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

CoM_Solaufein

i'd jump onto Origin right now if they would offer some kind of crazy sale. the sale would have to be better than steam holiday sales to get my interest though. if its only just as amazing as steam, then i will just keep using steam.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I worry that it will go the other way and Steam will have to charge more to compete with Origin and it's growing list of exclusives. The pricing plan for The Old Republic doesn't exactly bode well for us the consumer if EA gains a lot of ground.

I second Malcador's query. They are charging the standard price for TOR, $15 a month.

i'd jump onto Origin right now if they would offer some kind of crazy sale. the sale would have to be better than steam holiday sales to get my interest though. if its only just as amazing as steam, then i will just keep using steam.

They've had some good offers. I think they were giving away Mass Effect 2 for free at one point.

I could be confused on that. It's been known to happen.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

wait, they want you to pay more to pre-order, that sounds like an error... most companies try to give you things to encourage a pre-order, otherwise, whats the point of pre-ordering? its not like they are going to sell out of copies

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Hmm...that is pretty ridiculous. But EA-esque.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's not an extra pre-order charge, they charge you $5 for the pre-order, and then that $5 counts towards your final cost. I know there was some confusion about the way they explained it in their store, but it was later clarified.

If it's TOR pre-orders then aren't they limiting the numbers who can pre-order to try and prevent any server crashing? That's the usual reason for charging extra for pre-orders, as an encouragement for people not to cancel in situations where it generates extra work and means that they have had to turn away other customers.

They've had some good offers. I think they were giving away Mass Effect 2 for free at one point.

I could be confused on that. It's been known to happen.

There was a 'free Mass Effect 2 with a copy of Dragon Age 2!' offer, but that was vendor independent.

You're probably thinking of Dead Space 2, which you could get free with a BF3 (?) pre-order for a while.

I double-checked it, they are definitely not charging you an extra $5 over the normal $60 if you pre-order. I'm not sure about the UK price.

They are limiting the amount of pre-orders available to stop the server from getting totally swamped, they are also offering early access depending on when you pre-ordered. That has been crazy too, apparently Best Buy sold a bunch of CE's that they had no codes for, and they probably won't get enough inventory to fill their orders. I cancelled and went with Wal-Mart, which meant I paid extra for shipping but I figure it's a safer bet.

I don't plan on buying many games through Origin, but then I don't really buy new games from Steam either. I prefer a nice box to put on a shelf.

They are limiting the amount of pre-orders available to stop the server from getting totally swamped, they are also offering early access depending on when you pre-ordered. That has been crazy too, apparently Best Buy sold a bunch of CE's that they had no codes for, and they probably won't get enough inventory to fill their orders. I cancelled and went with Wal-Mart, which meant I paid extra for shipping but I figure it's a safer bet.

I bought my pre-order from Best Buy and they gave me a code that they had already given out. A quick email to TOR support got me a new code the next day but it was weird seeing that the code I paid 150 bucks for was already in use.

Free games updated 3/4/21

i think even the retail copy is going to use origin as drm, ala steamworks

I will say it has been faster to load BF3 with the Origin DRM check than all of my Steamwork games. It's the reason I've softened on my stance about it, I used to be fairly annoyed that I needed to use two separate things for games, but Origin is really pretty tame.

i guess that its very non-intrusive is making me less annoyed about it, but my primary annoyance began when EA started pulling stuff from steam to make it origin exclusive. annoying to say the least. but i guess if i have to play 1-2 games a year via origin it won't be the end of the world, so long as they dont require constant internet connection (or any connection at all past the activation)

By the way, in case there's anyone interested in a retrospective article Eric did one for the Icewind Dale games on GameBanshee.

Please please please please please be making a new Icewind Dale game Obsidian, that is at-least turn based or RTwP like the originals and with stats and skills.

turn based icewind dale would be so super great... unless it used D&D 4e rules, then it would be merely so great, and no super.

Origin and BF3 has had a terrible launch. My bro, who built a new system to speicifically play BF3 can't even play the game for 2 minutes before it freezes - many people have similiar problems, with some the freezing just being in MP and others, SP and MP. Who plays BF for single player anyway? I'm not sure what it is exactly..possibly some memory leak. It's just ridiculous that so many day 1 releases are still in beta form.

I worry that it will go the other way and Steam will have to charge more to compete with Origin and it's growing list of exclusives.

And how exactly is that going to be competition? Market steam as a premium service because it's more expensive? Or do you mean they need to charge more because Origin is jacking their sales and they have all those 1s and 0s getting backlogged in the storehouse? :*

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

also, valve doesnt have tons of angry shareholders to answer to, so they don't need to ferociously fight to always be posting greater gains than the prior quarter lest they lose their jobs

in other words, they can afford to act with intelligence and forethought, instead of knee jerk response

Edited by entrerix

that Icewind Dale link gives me a 404 error :*

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Sorry Jaesun, but if ME3 does not require Origin for at least the MP parts I will eat my hat.

i guess that its very non-intrusive is making me less annoyed about it, but my primary annoyance began when EA started pulling stuff from steam to make it origin exclusive.

Man, where does this stuff come from?

Steam pulled it. How can you tell, objectively? Because they definitively are not Origin exclusives- you can buy BF3/ C2/ DA2 from pretty much any other DD retailer, just not steam. The only one who ejected toys from pram on the matter was steam, ironicly since they've been getting their client bundled into products sold by other DD vendors for ages and don't expect anyone to have a problem with that.

The only current origin exclusive I know of is the digital version of TOR which has been specifically stated not to actually need Origin to run.