What you did today

Tale

I worry because (without going into detail) I need to be right about how its going to go, both for my own prosperity and the prosperity of others. The chap I mentioned earlier, for example. I can tell when someone's struggling, and the chap seems really first rate. If we took him on then he'd be a good fit and addition. But can WE afford to? Can I pass him to someone else? Is everyone I know slowly slipping into disaster? If so, maybe I should be going off on drastic rethinks etc etc. The ramifications of a second serious slump are immense.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

@gfted

Ya o:)

=[ sorry bok. you aren't the only one tho...Dad got laid off about a year and a half ago. He's found work since and we're doing alright now. Just stay vigilant and don't fall into the "i'm never gonna get another job" mentality. my dad turned finding work into a full time job (LOL PUNS) and it paid off. good luck

Will have to make a note of that approach.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've been having some trouble finding steady work, since I'm apparently "overqualified". Which doesn't mean that you're too good for the job, it means that you might be better at your future superior's job than he is. :lol:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I've been having some trouble finding steady work, since I'm apparently "overqualified". Which doesn't mean that you're too good for the job, it means that you might be better at your future superior's job than he is. :lol:

Yes I am in same boat

And it's rational, I guess. If they hire a bunch of mediocrities, they know that they won't be fired and have some young guy replace them for 10-15% less. :huh:

Or they figure you're just settling for something while you keep looking. That comes up when the managers are blabbing on about why they shouldn't hire someone. Woke up late, so got a good sleep. I apparently SHOULD go to work, but am trying to time it right so I arrive late enough.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You may be being a little unfair. If I think about me going into a subordinate role at some paper warehouse you can bet I'll need careful managing. I'll work damned hard, but I have to be treated like a person. No one's going to just shout bollocks at me and get away with it. The awful truth is that most managers are totally rubbish at their job, and the thought of that being exposed is terrifying for them.

Personally I like to think I cope with older and more talented people very well. I'm lazy, so I love having them around. Clear intent, open eyes and a closed mouth, plus simple courtesies like tea work wonders. All of which only adds to my annoyance when I see the resource being bodge-handled.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Or they figure you're just settling for something while you keep looking.

Mmh, I think that's the way they explain the above phenomenon. They think I'm looking for their job! :shifty:

FWIW, I'm talking about legal jobs. They're hiring people who've done **** all in the way of professional development since graduating in the late 90s... so what they're gonna get is probably reliable (but there's a reason they've left their old job) but almost definitely not capable of out-of-the-box thinking or necessarily even with the theoretical aspects of law to a greater degree (and trust me, it does come useful occasionally). I'd seek to build a mix of experience and vision - which they're not trying.

I realise that comes off as a bit narcissist, but I think I have a fairly correct view of my capabilities as a jurist, based on past work performance and the feedback received for it. :p

Well, a bit different in development. And promotions only happen here when the person ahead resigns, :shifty: . Why I'm the "senior" on the team, they have no one else. Kind of like "When Trumpets Fade" in here, hmm.

Well I am off to checkout and review a new website, then back to the office to do some sound-splicing stuff ... meetings in the evening. In the interim, my newest and youngest pack member just stopped singing with the nearby ambulance! Quite the harmony ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Well, a bit different in development. And promotions only happen here when the person ahead resigns, :shifty: . Why I'm the "senior" on the team, they have no one else. Kind of like "When Trumpets Fade" in here, hmm.

Me reading posts like this is like glimpsing into the future; should I stop pursuing my CompSci degree while I'm ahead? :p

Nahh, just an example of what not to do. :shifty:

Hubs sister's husband was out of work for multiple years, when his old job got rid of his dept. long time ago. He did PT/temp work here and there but one, he's on the older side and two, his career area/skills were a bit outdated (some kind of design engineer), so even w/some retraining it was difficult. When he finally got one, they had to move out of state. They kept the house they own here tho (they rent it out).

...as for me, I tell my morning tale in casual photos, as the orb weaver backyard takeover continues:

What I'm wondering is how in the hell does the spider bridge this huge of a level gap (can't just jump downwards) to string it's upper web support line?

spiderweb114.jpg

...but it loves this spot & keeps rebuilding the main oval every morning for days. Fun to watch cause it's so big.

spiderweb115.jpg

Different spider, where support lines have such tension they bend over a small branch.

spiderweb116.jpg

Yet another diff. one. Just liked the lighting/colors.

spiderweb117.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My understanding is that spiders can FIRE their web. So they'll shoot the web itself that distance and hope it catches where they want. Then they may pull it in a little to make it taut.

Edit: I'm searching, but I'm not finding support that they can shoot web quite that far, however. So I don't know.

Edit2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_web

According to this

Many webs span gaps between objects which the spider could not cross by crawling. This is done by letting out a first fine adhesive thread to drift on the faintest breeze across a gap. When it sticks to a suitable surface at the far end, the spider will carefully walk along it and strengthen it with a second thread. This process is repeated until the thread is strong enough to support the rest of the web.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hm, thanks for looking that up. I knew some did that but didn't realize most did. :shifty:

The line runs in the direction of the almost-every-day afternoon wind that we get here, so if he started from the left side and cast it out, it might have attached to the blackberry bushes if the wind was strong enough that day.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I somehow managed to cut my ear. And I will say the bugger bleeds like you wouldn't believe. For some reason I never counted ears in the same category as head wounds for bleeding effects.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."