"Minimum reference to Al Qaeda"

Walsingham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14721742

Is this a tacit admission that Junai is right, and Al Qaeda didn't actually carry out 9/11?

Seriously. WTF?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No, it isn't.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

On reflection the best explanation I can think of is that one would want to tune it down. After all, the Obama campaign - as endorsed by the electorate- has been "It's far too much effort to actually nail Al Qaeda and the Taliban for what they did. Let's just pretend it's all over and pack up."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

On reflection the best explanation I can think of is that one would want to tune it down. After all, the Obama campaign - as endorsed by the electorate- has been "It's far too much effort to actually nail Al Qaeda and the Taliban for what they did. Let's just pretend it's all over and pack up."

Well, we gave those turbans a good wallop. Time to pack it up, yeah? Can't kill'em all you know, even if we break our financial backs.

Think about it - every time one of those unmanned airplanes with hellfire-missiles crashes a wedding party or

obliterates a hospital etc, you've got a few douzen new Al Qaedas running around. It's like scratching a mosquito-bite,

it just gets worse. It's a war you can't win.

The flailing US bear has been fighting invisible enemies in hidden caves for a decade now, it's tired and needs to rest.

Soothe the public and quell the hate-rhetoric with commemorations and talk of honour and duty, and you can

slowly start to pull out without being perceived as weak or a coward.

An ok'ish strategy. However, if the Obaminator just reallocates the troops to Iran or North-Korea, I'm gonna be very disappointed.

J.

Think about it - every time one of those unmanned airplanes with hellfire-missiles crashes a wedding party or

obliterates a hospital etc, you've got a few douzen new Al Qaedas running around. It's like scratching a mosquito-bite,

it just gets worse. It's a war you can't win.

The flailing US bear has been fighting invisible enemies in hidden caves for a decade now, it's tired and needs to rest.

Soothe the public and quell the hate-rhetoric with commemorations and talk of honour and duty, and you can

slowly start to pull out without being perceived as weak or a coward.

An ok'ish strategy. However, if the Obaminator just reallocates the troops to Iran or North-Korea, I'm gonna be very disappointed.

J.

Firstly, there's zero chance of them being 'assigned' to Iran or North Korea. Sounds like you've been playing too much Risk.

Secondly, killing terrorists is not pointless. Sticking to the most obvious point, your statement assumes all terrorists are equal. But clearly if you blow up a skilled leader and or bomb maker then it may be a good idea. That one guy's death may inspire ten others. But his continued living may inspire thousands. You follow?

Thirdly, I'm both stunned and appalled at the notion that 'honour' and 'duty' could be used as pejoratives. Although in fairness at least you spell honour correctly.

-Elwood Blues

Although in fairness at least you spell honour correctly.

No he didn't. I don't know who taught the English to speak english but they do it all wrong.

>_<

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well it's pretty clear that the Obama admin and the leftwing media (meaning most of it) has decided the real threat to America is not Al Qaeda. It's the Tea Pary, veterans, white people, pro-lifers, global warming skeptics, gun owners, people who own unapproved of dog breeds, and anyone who might vote for someone other than Obama.

police-trained-nationwide-that-informed-americans-are-domestic-terrorists.html

http://www.examiner.com/conservative-in-sp...kely-terrorists

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/60202.html

http://www.theblaze.com

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Meanwhile the other side thinks....

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think they're just trying to de-emphasize the Al Qaeda threat now that Bin Laden is dead. May be there's also a more nefarious reason there, I wouldn't put anything past this bunch.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

It makes perfect sense to me.

The plans call for a "positive" and "forward-looking" message with minimum reference to al-Qaeda

Why is that hard to understand? It's been ten years, it's time to stop pointing fingers and gesticulating angrily and start moving forward. When we bring up the perpetrators, we only serve them by doing so. Remember the fallen and rebuild.

Not to be forgotten, Al-Qaeda is not a real tangible organisation with a hierarchy of leadership. It's a name that any islamist group or individual can claim to be acting under. Every time you bring them up as this big scary threat you give those nutbags credibility. I think the silent treatment could be very effective. Because we can never defeat them, that would be like trying to stop all crime in the world. It's just not going to happen.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Thirdly, I'm both stunned and appalled at the notion that 'honour' and 'duty' could be used as pejoratives.

Oh brother..

Tell that to the 9/11 firemen who were hailed as heroes, but had to spend the next decade fighting for

compensation while suffering from illnesses related to exposure to toxic WTC dust.

Tell it to the countless Iraqi vets who protested against 'Dubya' closing all those VA hospitals, while

honouring the very same people as "heroes".

I used to be stunned and appalled too. At the hypocrisy.. :shifty:

J.

I agree with Kaftan- the US has spent much of the last decade bigging up the Al Qaeda brand, which is fine if you're trying to motivate people for wars and the like. But it works both ways, it also lends Al Qaeda free exposure and an importance they don't really deserve.

Several posts to reply to, which is cool. But I guess I should be brief or it'll be tldr.

Junai:

Everyone seems to forget that I didn't like George W. I agree that the treatment given to veterans and other people he called heroes was terrible. That doesn't make honor (GD) itself redundant. If anything it makes it more important.

Kaft:

AlQ certainly is a 'brand name'. And strictly speaking not everyone can just call themselves AlQ. It's more like a franchise. You express an interest in delicious southern fried murder and go off for the courses, pay some cash, and you get tech support, branding, etc etc. As for keeping silent, that's technically a good plan, except that it would require a concerted effort from every media source on the planet, and that's just not going to happen. So long as Al Qaeda can make us bleed, their stories will lead.

Hurlshot:

Mullah Omar has been making statements to the effect that the Taliban want to be in Government when the US and UK withdraw. This is not someone wearing an Osama bin Laden t-shirt. This is one of the chief architects of bin Laden's ability to pursue such an aggressive course against the United States. And he and his little chums are still loafing about Pakistan, killing hundreds of people and dreaming of getting significant hold of a nuclear armed nation.

~~

Fundamentally I can see that combatting this extremism isn't easy (duh). But it's something which we have to do in order to protect the democratic principle that reason, not violence should be the arbiter of government policy.

I fear I may be contradicting myself, though. So, your serve. :)

-Elwood Blues

Holy ****, who the **** cares?? My god, American politicians controlling the language use over some solitary high-fatality event from ten ****ing years ago? What's next? Maybe they'll do something worthwhile for once in their ****ing lives??

Edited by lord of flies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14721742

Is this a tacit admission that Junai is right, and Al Qaeda didn't actually carry out 9/11?

Seriously. WTF?

uh.

*scratches noggin*

what are you talking 'bout? a "forward-looking" and "positive" message is equaling a tacit admission that al-qaeda didn't carry out 9/11 attacks?

ok, we can play too.

statement: let us focus on rebuilding in libya.

actual meaning: oby/lof (and to a lesser degree #) were right that colonel Q were actual a swell guy and a victim o' muckraking by western media.

statement: I have a dream that one day on the red hills of georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

actual meaning: clearly mlk were advocating gay marriage.

nuts

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Jesus, Grom. Sense of humour failure. :(

-Elwood Blues

Jesus, Grom. Sense of humour failure. :sweat:

that were 'posed to be a funny? well, we agree that there were a "sense of humour failure." poking fun o' junai takes so little effort, but you make it look difficult. in any event, is doubtful that the folks from 30 rock ask for walsh to join the writing team anytime soon.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

that were 'posed to be a funny? well, we agree that there were a "sense of humour failure." poking fun o' junai takes so little effort, but you make it look difficult. in any event, is doubtful that the folks from 30 rock ask for walsh to join the writing team anytime soon.

HA! Good Fun!

This put down would be a good deal more cutting if you ever updated your own act.

-Elwood Blues

HA! Good Fun!

This put down would be a good deal more cutting if you ever updated your own act.

you think? well, if you says so, then we definite ain't updating... kinda a negative barometer as it were. regardless, am not sure what lack o' updating our schtick has to do with your failed attempt at a funny. have mentioned a few times that the Gromnir bit ain't 'posed to be funny or clever: is a ponce detection device. congrats.

HA! Good Fun!

Well it's pretty clear that the Obama admin and the leftwing media (meaning most of it) has decided the real threat to America is not Al Qaeda. It's the Tea Pary, veterans, white people, pro-lifers, global warming skeptics, gun owners, people who own unapproved of dog breeds, and anyone who might vote for someone other than Obama.

That sounds a bit paranoid and extreme. Here, let me calm you down:

That sounds a bit paranoid and extreme. Here, let me calm you down:

Oh I'll admit that I do get worked up on this one point but contantly hearing from the folks in DC that white middle class veterans are the real terroists and that muslim extremeists are just harmless little pussycats makes me very, very angry.

However I should not have gone OT and I'm sorry for doing that.

Thomas Sowell

Jesus, Grom. Sense of humour failure. :)

HA! Good Fun!

At least give the crusty old orc credit for spelling humour correctly..

J.