RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

I can literally count the pixels that make up Sabin's face. And you'd be easily forgiven for not realizing that Kefka is still wearing his makeup, since the number of pixels that comprises that detail could be counted without taking off your shoes.

Kefka's also the only one to have a nose.

Not the kind of detail I meant.

Well, I back off though. Not worth the hassle (for both of us).

Edited by C2B

a FF6 remake should be done by only upgrading the art ala the remake/HD update of monkey island. let it be done so you can switch back and forth between the artwork with the press of a button.

same should be done for the FF7 remake if they ever do one

I'd absolutely love an FFVI remake, though I'd want it more in the style that they remade #3 and #4...or as you say, if they just redid the graphics but left eh erst of the game...it would be great. Interesting idea, letting you switch between the different graphics...that could be fun.

i dont see why they couldnt do a closer job replicating the amano artwork, the game could look breathtaking if they went a heavily stylized (cell shaded?) look

I don't know. Why so many of these movie remakes with better definition fall lower than the original?

Some things don't go well with new technology.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

save for instances where the original Director remakes his own movie (M.Mann's The Heat is a perfect example of this), every remake will be different, because it's very hard to replicate the actors' work and the direction without missing something, and sometimes these missing pieces are essential. games work a bit differently, as far as I understand.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

save for instances where the original Director remakes his own movie (M.Mann's The Heat is a perfect example of this), every remake will be different, because it's very hard to replicate the actors' work and the direction without missing something, and sometimes these missing pieces are essential. games work a bit differently, as far as I understand.

Theres instances like that in gaming too. 2D Artwork -> 3d Models. Written Text -> Voice Acting (Also in film a frequent problem with book adaptions) and so on.

Edited by C2B

I'll agree with VA being essential in such a case. rare actor can sound the same or better than a character does in your head.

I can't agree with the graphics argument though. Monkey Island games come to mind. or Fallout

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'll agree with VA being essential in such a case. rare actor can sound the same or better than a character does in your head.

I can't agree with the graphics argument though. Monkey Island games come to mind. or Fallout

Same or better isn't really the key word here, but "delivery". A word spoken differently to its description and context in the written text, can shake its entire meaning.

And in both those cases the transition gave different results. Good ones, but different from its 2D original instead of trying to do it accuratly. (May have much to do with different artists there though too.

Edited by C2B

Crytek hired to work on Homefront 2, scheduled for 2014 release

Well that was unexpected. Was the Homefront 1 campaign any good?

Edit: Apparently it's Crytek UK (formely Free Radical Design) that is working on the sequel. Click

That's a bit of a letdown, I thought they were working on Timesplitters 4.

Edited by Morgoth

Edit: Apparently it's Crytek UK (formely Free Radical Design) that is working on the sequel. Click

On certain levels Homefront was okay. But it was disapointing in that it was a very short "shooter on rails" approach. The backstory was interesting, they had some very nice things in the background to push emotional buttons. But the gameplay for the single-player campaign was bog standard follow the line and shoot things as they pop up. That and it basically ends on a cliffhanger after about 5 hours of play.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yay, one more generic shooter game. Obviously we need more of those.

Hate the living, love the dead.

*yawn*

Also, GOG now has OpFlash - well rebranded as ArmA:CWC.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yay, one more generic shooter game. Obviously we need more of those.

Homefront 1 was indeed generic, that's why Kaos is gone and pros like Crytek have taken over to make a supa dupa sequel.

So at one point of the game the game engine just can't handle it and you will never be able to finish the game. Nice.

(Crysis was pretty generic when it comes to shooters....)

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.

who'd want to play it when their two latest releases - ArmA 2 Combined Ops - cost 11-20 euro... o:)

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

Its basically just another dream american invasion fantasy. Theres more emphasis on it, though. Apart from that the whole thing is quite mediocre.

Americans sure like invasions and war settings.

Personally, I hope Crytek will rather make a spiritual successor with the Homefront name on the box only, or at least try to differentiate themselves from the predecessor. Because let's be clear, I think HF1 was a one-trick-pony, I don't think they can build up on that alone 'cause quite frankly the game got horrible press scores, and I think most of the buyers might agree. If THQ is smart, they let Crytek do their own thing.

who'd want to play it when their two latest releases - ArmA 2 Combined Ops - cost 11-20 euro... :shifty:

Well maybe they want to see what they missed. The latest iteration isn't always all there is :p

Speaking of GOG, again. They have a Q&A with Zurovec of Crusader fame

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://gamepod.hu/hir/sajatos_modszer_a_warez_ellen_6.html

Short version: tinyBuildGames thought: if you can't stop piracy, you can at least do something fun with it, and released a "pirate version" of it's game (No Time To Explain) on The Pirate Bay. Lots of people decided to buy the game because of that.

Very nice experiment indeed :shifty:

And the game looks like fun :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

if they think they had a bad response from PC gamers with their always online DRM...err...I mean game security...

They'll have an even worse response from Console gamers. Many Console gamers will play online...but single player without having to authenticate online or be online simply to play is one BIG reason many console gamers play in the first place. NO MMO (or MMORPG type game since Diablo 3 doesn't want to admit to the MMO line) has ever really done that well on a Console...at least yet. MP games do great on the otherhand, but most have at least a short SP game that's independant of being online...and don't include paid for transactions (AH/RMT) officially unless it's for DLC.

Heck, I'm one of those chased off PC for the Console games due to the DRM stuff...they think they'll attract us to play it on Console if they have their always online DRM they're dreaming (I'd rather play it on PC instead...in fact I'll get one copy to play on PC...no way I'd get something with always online DRM for my console).