The Codex

Also, unlike other places, talk about torrenting and pirating (this is just info, not a suggestion!) runs rampant on the Codex forums.

Other game website will deal with those that suggests this swiftly and harshly - either with a temp ban or a more -ahem- permanent ban. If repeated that is.

And yes, it was nice when Gaider posted at the Codex. However, 2 or maybe three years ago, Gaider decided that he didn't want to visit the Codex anymore because of the posters', or maybe rather 1 or 2 posters, direct lashing out at Gaider, as Purkake said. Very sad indeed :lol:

On the Watch, we used to have Patrick Weekes come in from time to time and comment. It was nice :) However, I think Patrick's boss (which is also his wife) or some of the other bosses at Bioware told him to stop because sometimes he would be way to open-mouthed about things. And say something that he really shouldn't, not in a bad way that is. He just revealed something about something that maybe Bioware would have thought it nice to have hidden for 2-3 months or longer.

And yes, Fallout, Planescape Torment and Arcanum are all examples of games in which the rpg mechanics for the Codex, as others have mentioned are done correctly - and that you can have a good story with good gameplay and interesting characters.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

I greatly appriciate the 'Codex as a social experiment with a truly open forum. I visit it daily but i never post there. If someone wants to say "i am open for free speech buuut...", i gladly direct them to the 'Codex.

What is so great about is that there is no other site where neonazis, crypto-muslims, trannies, basement dwellers and even developers discuss the merits of an RPG with each other. When there's little to no moderation, there can be a lot of dung, but when there's something good, it really is as Jaesun says: a diamond.

I also think that i get some schaudenfreude from people posting there under the pretence that if someone says something inflammatory, then a moderator must come and smite those people. They usually make great fool of themselves when they realize that such speech is actually permitted there and often get the 'Codex Hivemind lashing back at them for not being able to find a decent counter-argument. As some would say there: "Butthurt detected".

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"I happened across a conversation thread from the Codex with Volourn, and those folks are just mean to him."

Are you really a tool? They're 'mean' to everybody. That's the whole point. Im am just as mean as anyone else. They actually are on my side time to time so get over it. I don't need an Obidin fanboy feeling sorry for me. In fact, I find this forum a lot more 'meaner' anyways and a lot more ignorant, bias, and foolish.

The Codex is cool. :lol:

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Codex is a forum which has long since become a meme of itself, then a meta-forum that is aware of and parodies its own mockery of its older self, then an ironic commentary on that meta-ness, and now is perpetually confused about what the hell it is supposed to be anymore.

Ironically, it still remains the one place where half of all posts are stupid beyond imagination and the other half are good quality RPG discussion you won't get anywhere else. Also, their LPs are fantastic, better than anything I've seen.

This... is probably the best summary of the Codex I've ever seen.

That said, I do love the place. I firmly believe that the internet is for mad people, and that that's the way it should be. Madness has its negative side, but if I want to talk to anything approaching normally functioning human beings, I'll leave the house. If I want mad, brilliant, maladjusted geniuses willing to wax lyrical about odd obsessions ranging from art direction in RPGs to racial purity to how golden retrievers are genetically modified mutants to how much they want trannies to poop on them, I go to the internet - and for all these things and many more, you can't beat the Codex.

It takes a... special sort of person to survive there with sanity intact. I'm really, really not sure why everyone there is insane or why general discussion is a Nazi enclave, but there you go. For all their downsides, I don't believe there exists anywhere on the internet a collective of people who, as a whole, know quite as much about old-school RPGs as the Codex does. Work your way past the bile and the insane noise:signal ratio and you'll find that their hatred is motivated by the purest love. Love for a genre which has undeniably strayed far, far from its roots, with the original target market being told by the industry as a whole (not Obsidian; they've had their bad moments, but I really like them and think their hearts are in the right place at least) that nobody cares about them and they'll never be catered for again. From the endless well of tears left behind by this act, an act which echoed the way their dad left forever so long ago, the Codex came to be. And all the Codex wants is to look back on the good times, when dad would hold them close and make all the world's troubles go away. But now mum is coming home with another man, who's big and strong and handsome but just can't replace your dad, and every night he beats you and tells you that you're stupid and ungrateful for not calling him father, for not saying he's better than your old dad ever was, and everywhere you go, all the other kids are talking about how cool your new dad is and you know what I mean, right?

"I happened across a conversation thread from the Codex with Volourn, and those folks are just mean to him."

Are you really a tool? They're 'mean' to everybody. That's the whole point. Im am just as mean as anyone else. They actually are on my side time to time so get over it. I don't need an Obidin fanboy feeling sorry for me. In fact, I find this forum a lot more 'meaner' anyways and a lot more ignorant, bias, and foolish.

The Codex is cool. :lol:

Your words are hurtful, but I realize you are just showing signs of anger displacement due to the bullying you have encountered. I hope you find happiness somewhere.

The Codex is fun. To me it mostly means the Playground, with all its cool LPs, but overall, the love for old RPGs on the Codex combined with total freedom (of speech, love, hate, whatever) makes all other forums seem... lesser, somehow.

"Your words are hurtful, but I realize you are just showing signs of anger displacement due to the bullying you have encountered. I hope you find happiness somewhere."

R00fles! :lol:

The Codex is cool. :sorcerer:

I have also felt bad for you when I read their boards.

Though that sparkling pink princess av is quite dashing.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

"I have also felt bad for you when I read their boards."

I feel worse for me when reading these boards. ;)

I feel bad for you when I read that you read these boards and feel bad.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Volo is freaking bullet-proof. He gives as good as he gets over there and there's grudging respect for him.

He drives me nuts and he's on ignore, but bejaysus he's a natural Codexian. Folks like him can thrive over there, a bit like fungal infections :)

sonsofgygax.JPG

Codex is a forum which has long since become a meme of itself, then a meta-forum that is aware of and parodies its own mockery of its older self, then an ironic commentary on that meta-ness, and now is perpetually confused about what the hell it is supposed to be anymore.

Ironically, it still remains the one place where half of all posts are stupid beyond imagination and the other half are good quality RPG discussion you won't get anywhere else. Also, their LPs are fantastic, better than anything I've seen.

This... is probably the best summary of the Codex I've ever seen.

That said, I do love the place. I firmly believe that the internet is for mad people, and that that's the way it should be. Madness has its negative side, but if I want to talk to anything approaching normally functioning human beings, I'll leave the house. If I want mad, brilliant, maladjusted geniuses willing to wax lyrical about odd obsessions ranging from art direction in RPGs to racial purity to how golden retrievers are genetically modified mutants to how much they want trannies to poop on them, I go to the internet - and for all these things and many more, you can't beat the Codex.

It takes a... special sort of person to survive there with sanity intact. I'm really, really not sure why everyone there is insane or why general discussion is a Nazi enclave, but there you go. For all their downsides, I don't believe there exists anywhere on the internet a collective of people who, as a whole, know quite as much about old-school RPGs as the Codex does. Work your way past the bile and the insane noise:signal ratio and you'll find that their hatred is motivated by the purest love. Love for a genre which has undeniably strayed far, far from its roots, with the original target market being told by the industry as a whole (not Obsidian; they've had their bad moments, but I really like them and think their hearts are in the right place at least) that nobody cares about them and they'll never be catered for again. From the endless well of tears left behind by this act, an act which echoed the way their dad left forever so long ago, the Codex came to be. And all the Codex wants is to look back on the good times, when dad would hold them close and make all the world's troubles go away. But now mum is coming home with another man, who's big and strong and handsome but just can't replace your dad, and every night he beats you and tells you that you're stupid and ungrateful for not calling him father, for not saying he's better than your old dad ever was, and everywhere you go, all the other kids are talking about how cool your new dad is and you know what I mean, right?

Admiral Jimbob here is one of the better posters on the Codex. One of the few worth following there.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

His "Codex stories" with garry's mod are hilarious. Hats off to him :lol:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Nonsense.

You don't like Jimbob?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Volourn touches us all in mysterious ways.

Show me on the doll where he touched you o:)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I don't dislike Jimbob but he's not as special as you make him sound. He's just another nobody like the rest of us.

L0L @ the above two. :sorcerer: