The Codex

Simply put, the codex is long past having any kind of significant relevancy to the total ignorance of that fact of most of the posters there.

I'm pretty sure you're the only one who thinks a internet message board could have sort of "significant relevancy".

The ironic part to the whole thing is that internet message boards about gaming are now much more interesting than the games themselves.

:)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

> Who are these "most of the posters" having total ignorance? Many of our regular posters love and enjoy cRPG games and mechanics and discuss them in great detail.

That's a reply to a comment, just not my comment. Allow to me re-state. The codex has no real relevancy anymore in the CRPG community yet most of the people there are oblivious to that. IMO they go there either out of habit by this point or the entertainment value which many in this thread pretty much admitted to going there mainly for. While yes once in a blue moon a good topic may be had the vast majority is trolling, flame bait and spam. No different then most other anrachy based forums. The codex is nothing special anymore, thousands of forums just like it on the net.

> VD left for his own reasons, and then DarkUnderlord took the site over. VD has no Admin capacity on the site now.

Great, once again that is a reply to a comment just not mine. I didn't say why he left I said a. IMO he couldn't admin his way out of a wet paper bag. b. he (and the new peep) quit, tossed in the towel. Again that speaks volumes. Neither point did you dispute but made excuses for said actions.

>Well if you continue to love the current crop of craptasitc "Yet another action game with little or no cRPG mechanics labeled as a RPG #64573" that Publishers continue to churn out, I guess enjoy your game. The Codex only wishes Publishers would take a look at some of the classic cRPG mechanics and allow a Developer to make a game with them. Similar to what Obsidian did with Fallout: New Vegas....

Last I knew NV was a "current crop", as is Skyrim, and DA1 and NWN2 isn't that old either and both excellent CRPGs. So the typical codex SOP of crying like a baby about no good CRPGs in the past decade is moot and only servers to hear themselves cry and sound as if they are all knowing to anyone who will listen.

> As one of the sites forum moderators, I'm not sure what you are implying with this statement. Do we on occasion get "racist, neonazi and spam" posts? Certainly. With our Open Registration policy, that's always bound to happen, though most of that behavior usually stays within the spam forum.

Please don't take this as a attack. But this is someone with vast experience under his belt of founding, running successful website communities. You are a moderator in title only. The codex wants to give the illusion there are some kind of standards or oversight. There isn't. If there was REAL moderation 90% of the garbage that is posted there wouldn't be allowed. The trolling, flame bait, personal attacks, harassment, etc. Let me let you in on a little secret. the reason you folks allow that is because if you actually enforced posting standards like most sites do then it would become painfully obvious what your site has become. A shell of its former self, living in its glory days as there would be only a handful of posts a day that would be posted/allowed as the majority of your 'community' would move on to another sire with a free for all posting policy as it mostly is now. As that is really all they want to do. Post the flames and personal attacks, etc.

A successful, helpful, useful, productive community site isn't measured in how many posts and traffic do I get (quantity), it is measures in how much quality is posted and when the signal is much higher then the noise you succeeded.

And before someone jumps on me for any of this let me close off by saying, if the codex didn't have the issues I stated or was relevant anymore they would still have developers posting there on a regular basis. Clearly even they are sick and tired of the garbage, and when the people you are trying to influence have abandoned your cause you clearly are well beyond your expiration date.

M2C

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Simply put, the codex is long past having any kind of significant relevancy to the total ignorance of that fact of most of the posters there.

I'm pretty sure you're the only one who thinks a internet message board could have sort of "significant relevancy".

You never talked to or dealt with game developers in depth obviously.

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I'd pretty much agree with TheHarlequin on everything written above.

Codex now isn't as fancy anymore as it was some years ago. I mean, I never posted there much anyway, but nowadays I am not even reading a lot there anymore. The news page and the workshop board is the only thing of interested for me now.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Talking with a developer made you feel significant? Good for you.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I stopped regularly checking on the codex simply because some people delighted in trying to ruin/spoil games, in the past I've sat in GD and laughed my arse off till the early hours but I never felt like contributing to the maelstrom of fecal matter and ladyboys, it'd be like pissing in the wind.

Talking with a developer made you feel significant? Good for you.

*watches his point fly right over your head*

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

I greatly appriciate the 'Codex as a social experiment with a truly open forum. I visit it daily but i never post there. If someone wants to say "i am open for free speech buuut...", i gladly direct them to the 'Codex.

What is so great about is that there is no other site where neonazis, crypto-muslims, trannies, basement dwellers and even developers discuss the merits of an RPG with each other. When there's little to no moderation, there can be a lot of dung, but when there's something good, it really is as Jaesun says: a diamond.

I also think that i get some schaudenfreude from people posting there under the pretence that if someone says something inflammatory, then a moderator must come and smite those people. They usually make great fool of themselves when they realize that such speech is actually permitted there and often get the 'Codex Hivemind lashing back at them for not being able to find a decent counter-argument. As some would say there: "Butthurt detected".

^I think that this post is relevant to the current discussion.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Harlequin always has thought himself as more imortant than he actually is so it's delightful he mocks the Codex were thinking the same way he does.

I may talk the talk from time to time but I have backed it up by walking the walk. Case in point I know when a sites relevancy has passed and I move on.

That said, care to address any of my points or just going to pull a codex trollbait post?

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

The fact you feel yourt ime is well spent bashing another forum tells me you are no different than the Codex forum that you bash. You walk the walk alright. You walk the walk the Codex way. Nothing wrong with that. You are a true blue Codexer.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

i get a significant amount of pleasure out of the fact that volourn actually makes more sense than Dr. Quin

why is this thread even open?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The fact you feel yourt ime is well spent bashing another forum tells me you are no different than the Codex forum that you bash. You walk the walk alright. You walk the walk the Codex way. Nothing wrong with that. You are a true blue Codexer.

Bashing? Hardly. It is called a educated opinion and simple observation. Just because that opinion is not unicorns and rainbows does not make said point moot. If I am so way off again stick to my points and refute them (if you can). Sounds more like sour grapes on your part due to a bitter pill of truth I just force fed you. *shrugs*

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Sounds more like sour grapes on your part due to a bitter pill of truth I just force fed you.

oh. NOW i see why this thread is still open. It's full of gold!

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Thunderthread. Two men enter..

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Bashing? Hardly. It is called a educated opinion and simple observation. Just because that opinion is not unicorns and rainbows does not make said point moot. If I am so way off again stick to my points and refute them (if you can). Sounds more like sour grapes on your part due to a bitter pill of truth I just force fed you. *shrugs*"

Forcefed me what? the fact you are more Codexian than most Codexians? Everyone on the Obsidian baords alreayd know that since they've seen multiple posts from you that show you to be a true blue Codexer. That's nothing to be asahmed of sicne that is exactly who you are.

'Educated opinion'? HA! That's exactkly what the Codexer does when bashing other forums including this one. "They are dumb because are opinion is more Educated and we know what talk about. HA!"

You aren't impressinga nyone with your opinion. Since you *are* your opinion.

Sour grapes about what? That you are bashing the Codex? I bash the Codex all the time. And, many Codexers hate me becuase I'm more a Codexer than any of them. And, many Codexers tolerate me because they realzie that.

Refute what? You made no point worth refuting. Unkless the point you are making is that you cna't be taken seriously. And, well, point taken though it's an obvious point that all here can agree with.

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Seems like we have come full circle with nothing new added...

:skull:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein