Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

What annoys me is that on the one hand you have flying World Wrestling Federation, which manages to get good films (or at least passable films), and Judge Dredd, the finest and most adaptable comic book universe I've read left with one utterly crap film.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What annoys me is that on the one hand you have flying World Wrestling Federation, which manages to get good films (or at least passable films), and Judge Dredd, the finest and most adaptable comic book universe I've read left with one utterly crap film.

Ah, but they have a new version in the pipeworks. With hm, Karl Urban as Dredd if I recall my movie news correctly.

Edit: Yes, indeed a late winter 2011 release. And I find it doubly amusing that Karl Urban is the actor who loathes wearing helmets. Ever since his Rider of Rohan days he continually tries to get any potential helmet off his head in movies..

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I just came back from First Class. Seeing my favorite mutant Banshee on the big screen was pretty damn cool, even of they totally abandoned his wicked awesome accent.

All in all I thought it was mostly excellent, probably because there's no Wolverine. My only gripe was with the female casting. Aside from Moira (again, it was weird without her accent) I really didn't care for any of their performances. January jones is smokin' hawt, don't get me wrong, but as someone seeing her onscreen for the first time I would have to say she couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag.

The girl Charles hit on in the bar had more range than her.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I think that's kinda been EVERYONE's reaction to the movie there Kor.

It'd probably have been better if they'd cast January as somebody like Azazel who had no lines whatsoever... To give us Emma Frost I'd probably go for... I donno... uh Hair Dyed Megan Fox?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Ah, but they have a new version in the pipeworks. With hm, Karl Urban as Dredd if I recall my movie news correctly.

Edit: Yes, indeed a late winter 2011 release. And I find it doubly amusing that Karl Urban is the actor who loathes wearing helmets. Ever since his Rider of Rohan days he continually tries to get any potential helmet off his head in movies..

Badly engineered helmet, if you ask me. You've got all sorts of space in Dredd's uniform. You could have liquid bloody cooling, and a teleprompter in Dredd's crust-protector.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It'd probably have been better if they'd cast January as somebody like Azazel who had no lines whatsoever... To give us Emma Frost I'd probably go for... I donno... uh Hair Dyed Megan Fox?

Sorry if my post wasn't original enough for you, Calax. I guess I'll try harder next time.

That being said, I loved the movie. It has it's flaws, sure. I'd like it if they continued on with this series and forgot the previous x-men titles. Just as long as there's no wolverine. I hate that guy.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

X-Men First Class..

A lot of mixed responses to that one. They dumped cannon out..and a lot of continuity with the previous films as well.. I mean some glaring plot holes between this and Wolverine Origins. But then they throw in Hugh Jackman for a cameo appearance and make it look like they're trying to connect it all...

Some quite good actors with really itty bitty small parts as some of the background "normal" humans.

If I could shut my mind from seeing all the missing cannon or earlier film continuity issues.. I'd actually say it wasn't a bad film.

The story on it's own works quite nicely to develop the principle characters, although I'm not sure the short time frame really builds up the Xavier / Magneto friendship to a proper depth.

Emma Frost while grabbing a chunk of screen time doesn't really show much characterisation - there to look cute in skimpy white, act as a counter to Xavier's telepathy, and do a bit of subtle right hand minion/living weapon action for the villain.

The "first class" students, only Mystique and the Beast get any real dialogue or development.

Sorry if my post wasn't original enough for you, Calax. I guess I'll try harder next time.

That being said, I loved the movie. It has it's flaws, sure. I'd like it if they continued on with this series and forgot the previous x-men titles. Just as long as there's no wolverine. I hate that guy.

:thumbsup:

That said, I think they should have made the events of first class ultimately work out over a pair or trio of movies (pair would be best). With the first one showing how everyone becomes friends and how they came together to beat the evil guy, the second one being about how they fall apart in the face of growing anti-mutant sentiment and such.

The Mechanic

Jason 'The Stathe' Statham is an assassin. Donald Sutherland is in a wheelchair. People die.

I liked it, especially the end.

Watch the original. It doesn't have the hollywood "happy" ending. But it still makes you smile with the "if you're reading this / listening to this you're dead". -_-

just saw First Class

the thing that bugged me the most was actually the shoddy wire work and prosthetics

it seemed every time someone got smacked or pushed around there was a second or two before they'd actually react and go flying. as for the prosthetics, Mystique looked like she was going bald, and Beast.... ugh

also, was thinking that for anyone not familiar with the comics this may have been a bit of a confusing movie, with Azazel seemingly a copy of Nightcrawler, and a female Angel with completely different powers. i think maybe they could have elaborated slightly, or even just used different characters to try and avoid such confusion

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I thought having Azazel was a really nice touch. I never knew he was considered a mutant, though.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Seeing Azazel in the trailer confused me too as hes the biological father of Nightcrawler and not an X-Men at all but from what you guys are saying they threw cannon out the window anyway.

I thought it was a nice homage to the canon. Because it ends up putting both of Nightcrawler's parents together.

But he's not an X-man in the film. However, he is a member of the Hellfire Club. Which is also wrong.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't mind that it's not following continuity. The comics themselves reboot whenever they feel like it, why can't the movies?

You know, I was a little sceptical about this movie, but that is unfortunately a very good argument.

Fortune favors the bald.

It's not like comics are good at keeping continuity in the first place, even when not rebooted.

Especially if Jeph Loeb is involved.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's not like comics are good at keeping continuity in the first place, even when not rebooted.

Especially if Jeph Loeb is involved.

Yep... the guy who took mild suggestion that Scarlet Witch and Qucksilver might have been incesteous, and made it cannon (In ultimates) And then had Blob eat Wasp and Giant Man eat Blob.

Centurion

I think this was meant to be a cross between Gladiator and Apocalypto. Dominic West tries to out-do Brian Blessed in the bellowing stakes, there's a female Pictish hunter who looks like a super-model and lots of gory fighting scenes. And if it was actually filmed in Scotland I'd like to know where.

Not bad as a Saturday night WTF is on TV type deal.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Centurion

I thought Centurion was pretty cool. One of the better Neil Marshall movies.

But then again I'm a sucker for gore and ancient Romans.

Seconded

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif