What you did today

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

Looking forward to getting tomorrow (Monday) off. Was supposed to get 10 days off as time in lieu that I had accumulated since January, but it looks like I'll have to live with getting paid off instead for most of them. Ah well, one day is better than nothing :)

Having one of those odd morning starts. Kind of wrapped up in feelings of frustration, tiredness (of the mental/soul more then the physical), and a few other things.

That mix due to frustrations with re-shaping my mind back to adequate skills of programming, mental flexibility and such.. dealings with the ex, some of the passive/aggressive atttitudes of my father, the way my [older] sister can still pull off acting like a spoiled 17 year old, and my mothers medical conditions.

Also partly that "where did the better part of the last 10 years of my life go while i was doing the 'primary carer' routine."

Maybe that's due to how many weeks now pass between evenings spent in the company of my friends. It's that natural roll out where you have the core group of nearly twenty years now, but it hits the point where careers have kicked off for them (that and marriages, kids and the like). Other hobbies that they don't share with everyone else in the group taking up time... But it's that thing where you meet new friends at work , and at those various external hobbies as you grow up past university...

And because I've basically been stuck at home like this, which means dealing with the family and not fresh faces.. I haven't met new people to form friendships outside of that core group I grew up with. That and government support doesn't really give you the money to get out on fun and exciting hobbies. Not that I can totally blame that, I've always been one of those people who can be perfectly happy on my own as much as in a group. So it doesn't bother me that much when a month or so passes and we don't have any gatherings, but I'm aware of the way it's happening.

Ah well. I think I might find the time to sit down and pull out my old copy of the Count of Monte Cristo to read this afternoon. Some well plotted revenge extravaganza and see the old school "magnificent bastard" routines.

That and carefully compartmentalise everything and repress again. If there's one thing the English can be good at, it's repressing. >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Called my mom for mother's day. She's abroad so I got lucky and can get her gift later - iPad 2 so the delay is also good for actually getting the thing. Watched Arsenal lose, I figure I like this team so much because they're like me in a lot of ways - should be good in theory, total ****up in practice >_<

Edited by Gorth
Language

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Completely forgot it was mother's day. Don't have a mother any more. Phew.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It wasn't mother's day over here. It was mother's day in the States and Canada.

Our mother's day was about a month ago..a bit before Easter.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It wasn't mother's day over here. It was mother's day in the States and Canada.

Our mother's day was about a month ago..a bit before Easter.

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen it.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And this is the trouble with getting so much news via the interwebs.. all the "mothers day" advertisements were geared for the North American date.. so it slipped by me and I lost all my current crop of brownie points by missing the UK mother's day.

I tried pointing out "hey, I did give you a surprise present for no particular reason last week." and got told "that's why you're not even more in the dog house then you are." :blink:

Watched the final episode of Stargate Universe.

All I have to say is Tethercat.

Eli will forever be stuck on the observation deck. The crew forever in stasis.

Unless a book series is announced. Which is actually not unlikely.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

And this is the trouble with getting so much news via the interwebs.. all the "mothers day" advertisements were geared for the North American date.. so it slipped by me and I lost all my current crop of brownie points by missing the UK mother's day.

I tried pointing out "hey, I did give you a surprise present for no particular reason last week." and got told "that's why you're not even more in the dog house then you are." :blink:

It was also mothers' day in Finland, so it's not just NA.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Since I never remember any kind of anniversary except Armistice Day I find this kind of 'day' pernicious and repellent. You might as well litter a blind man's neighbourhood with fragile glass sculptures that were only ankle high and pavement mounted. I AM going to stumble past and break them.

-Elwood Blues

Feeling a little tired (no pun intended) of the string of bad nights sleep I've been having. Yesterday I kept dozing off at random points, nearly did in the bathtub.

But the sun is shining, the weather is keeping somewhat on the gorgeous scale and I've managed to prevent the puppy from eating the cat several times already today.

Had a short time to relax and caught a bbc production I've had saved, one of those half-historical documentary, half-dramatical adaption of minoan life and the eruption at Thera. Based upon a lot of the recent archaeological discoveries around the area.

Little things like how the tidal waves caused by the eruption hammered into Crete for (potentially) several days, and the initial tsunami was estimated at over 60 feet high and would have been travelling at around 200mph...

The volcano was about 3 times more powerful then Krakatoa, and about 100 times more then St Helens..

The ash put the Mediterranean into darkness for several weeks, caused a worldwide drop in temperature..and even stunted plant growth in Britain.. Definitely puts some perspective on things.

Easy to understand how that sort of thing can take a civilization which had been kicking around for around 1300 years...and screwing it over.

Then of course there's the various theories that it's the stories of Crete/Thera and the devastation of both that inspired Plato's Atlantis.. :lol:

Had a short time to relax and caught a bbc production I've had saved, one of those half-historical documentary, half-dramatical adaption of minoan life and the eruption at Thera. Based upon a lot of the recent archaeological discoveries around the area

That sounds like my cup of lava, what's the title?

On the subject of what I did today...I accidentally quick formatted my 1.5TB drive full of music and video, oh god, oh god etc, so it's a night of file recovery and watching files copy, kill me.

That sounds like my cup of lava, what's the title?

BBC - Atlantis End Of A World, Birth of A Legend.

Apart from a few mentions at the start and right at the end noting similarities between Minoan culture and what Plato had said about Atlantis they don't really look into that angle. Mostly concentrates on what life was like, how they worshipped, and what the pre-eruption would have been like and how they reacted to it before it truly blew its top.

Some of it was obviously a touch over-dramatised, but hey, still interesting enough. :lol:

Edit: And for further comparisons - Vesuvius has a nice pyroclastic flow of around 6km. Mt St Helens was about half a cubic km...

Evidence at Thera suggest around 60km...

Edited by Raithe

BBC - Atlantis End Of A World, Birth of A Legend.

Thanks I'll check it out :)

Today I restored most of my files, watched a shed load of The Big Bang Theory as my PC was scanning, right now I'm eating a celebratory pizza, my stupidity only cost me the Quantum Leap series.

Still can't believe I let myself click the format button, it was late and I thought I'd got my memstick selected :p

Spent the day picking parts for a new PC. All that's left is to pick a video card (560ti or a 6870, limited by availability sadly- can't find a 6950 anywhere). Then just do prep work, moving files over to an external drive, etc. Woo. Also found out they hired two ladies at the office, it's no longer males only, hurrah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Woke up with a dull headache from a slightly strange dream involving WW1 soldiers and Faerie Folk in a prisoner of war camp holding discussions about Honor vs Duty vs Practicality....

Not too sunny yet, but it'll probably turn that way as the day spirals on.

Today I have been mostly trying to understand the nature of casuality and the stock markets. the latter is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I assumed it was like going to the newsagents to buy a newspaper, but a lot more shouty.

-Elwood Blues

Bought some records: Atari Teenage Riot - 60 Second Wipe Out, Boy Sets Fire - After the Eulogy, Darkest Hour - The Human Romance, DeadMau5 - 4x4=12, Deftones - Around the Fur, Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

Met a friend, had to endure 30 minutes of his whining about some chick that broke up with him a couple of months ago, had to endure that then, not sure why I had to do it again today, but oh well. At least the waitress remembered me from 3 years ago. I guess the benefit for being a big tipper. :)

Getting ready for a SG-1 marathon. Netflix has all 10 seasons on instant. Haven't seen the earlier seasons in a long while. Forgot how in the 1st episode, Sam makes a MacGyver reference. Haha, funny. Long live Richard Dean Anderson.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Getting ready for a SG-1 marathon. Netflix has all 10 seasons on instant. Haven't seen the earlier seasons in a long while. Forgot how in the 1st episode, Sam makes a MacGyver reference. Haha, funny. Long live Richard Dean Anderson.

I've actually had to attend a couple of SG-1 related conventions. My mother was a fanatic, so I got called along to push her wheelchair around when she went to them. One of which included having tea and biscuits with both Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping.

I have to say when you get the group of main actors and supporting actors together like that, they still seem to have a very natural give and take between themselves. Although that's got to be partly due to having worked together for x amount of years without killing each other. :(

Of course, I will say it's slightly jarring to come down one morning to make that first cup of tea..and finding the fridge was suddenly plastered with magnetic "I don't need saving, I just need Him!" captioned pictures of RDA.. :)

Almost couldn't stop working last night. had some kind of brain monsoon, with ideas and diagrams and all kinds of crap flying out of me onto foolscap. What does "bad monkey president, bad trousers" even mean?

Eventually so exhausted I went to the pub and drank scrumpy which is about as effective as smacking yourself in the head with a tire iron, but more sugary.

Woke this morning and back to work. i only hope this is n't some kind of pre-mortem frenzy of some kind.

-Elwood Blues

I am currently on Season 9 of Stargate: SG1. It has been a pretty long trip, but very enjoyable. I started watching them from Season 1 around September. Once I finish, I'll watch the movies and try the two spin offs.

We'll I'm back home at last. Last week the Hatchee river (which meets the Mississippi about five miles from my house) flooded out of the banks. Scary stuff, it rose about two and a half meters in just a few hours.When I woke up and saw the end of my driveway under water I loaded up the dogs and went to my Dads old place in Florida. So after four day of unexpected and nerve wracking vacation I got back today to asses the damage. It did not make it up to the house, thank God. The barn flooded and it ruined the Camaro I've been working on restoring. It also ruined some projects for my side business. My fence is down in a few places but as long as the house is ok I'm a very lucky man. Some of my neighbors were not so lucky.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I am still a bit dumbfounded after watching this. The kid must've had the balls the size of a belltower to pull that off.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy