What are you playing now?

Guest Slinky
Just bought the Alone in the Dark package off GOG.com for some quality survival horror gaming time during the Easter holiday (don't know how it is elsewhere, but I'm gonna be off from Thursday to Monday :thumbsup:).

I have some vague memories of the game(s), but can't for the life of me remember if I actually played any of them back in the day, and if I did, which... So it'll be interesting. They look like they'll be right up my alley regardless, so I'm looking forward to them!

I loved Alone in the Dark 1 back in the day, mostly because the mansion with zombies worked for me even before Resident Evil 1.

And the lovecraftian story is nice too.

Had to put Gothic 2 on hold now that Portal 2 has been released.

I have been playing few hours now, mostly just trying to look for a clever place to put a portal in that the devs might have overlooked (no luck yet). :lol:

Started the LotR2 campaign last night. Looks slightly fuzzy but generally fine on my monitor etc. Took a screenshot. Stared at the tiny 640x480 image. It wasn't this small before, was it? :x I probably had a 12" monitor when I first played it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My copy won't arrive until Friday. I'm hoping some guys around here will still be interested in co-op.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Finished Portal 2 single player story. Steam says I clocked in 9h of game time, with plenty of sight seeing, kinda low for a full priced game.

Coop included, which is just about the same length as SP, overall it feels fine.

Portal was about 2-3 hour game so at least that's improvement. That said, I'm not going to buy Portal 2 right away as my unplayed games stack is still too high in Steam folder. I got distracted by KotOR, KotOR 2, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 re-runs. I kinda feel bad about it, since Portal 2 seem to be one of those rare first person games what might even be worth it at full price (singleplayer and co-op ).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Playing through FEAR 2 again.

Also ran across this on youtube.

What... the.........

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Mortal Kombat

The Story mode is a great inclusion. The writing is awful. The premise of the plot of this game is that Raiden from Armageddon sends a message back to Raiden of Mortal Kombat 1. So Raiden tries to figure out the cryptic message and changes things from the original MK timeline.

The two problems with the writing are:

1) It's Mortal Kombat, yet nobody is killing anyone. Two guys die by the end of the second tournament (Mortal Kombat 2). If someone had just been smart enough to kill Baraka or Sheeva instead of conveniently forgetting they're around, I could have been saved a lot of pointless fights.

2) Not all of the timeline changes are justified or make sense. Some, like the Smoke/Sub-Zero change, are specifically lampshaded. But apparently Reptile was a regular participant in the first tournament instead of a special combatant. I can accept that. But why are Cyrax, Sector, and Baraka present at all?

Still with FIFA 11, played a great game, then the damn thing crashed. Lots of funny stuff though, misnamed player on the commentary, or the commentary being wrong, usual AI cheating - but their tackles and my team's placement makes me laugh. Game must be geared to the English the way the AI barges in all the time, heh. Also not sure who's idea it was to have no handballs, but nuts to that (although you could game that in 10). But still, you have to build up more than in earlier games - even if that's just due to the AI speed cheating 60% of the time.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

...are you really paying attention to MK's plot? I'm willing to bet half the plot holes are on purpose.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

...are you really paying attention to MK's plot? I'm willing to bet half the plot holes are on purpose.

Yes, I'm paying attention to the plot. There's an entire mode dedicated to it.

Plot holes aren't done on purpose. That's absurd. It's just lazy writing.

Edited by Tale

Mortal Kombat

The Story mode is a great inclusion. The writing is awful. The premise of the plot of this game is that Raiden from Armageddon sends a message back to Raiden of Mortal Kombat 1. So Raiden tries to figure out the cryptic message and changes things from the original MK timeline.

The two problems with the writing are:

1) It's Mortal Kombat, yet nobody is killing anyone. Two guys die by the end of the second tournament (Mortal Kombat 2). If someone had just been smart enough to kill Baraka or Sheeva instead of conveniently forgetting they're around, I could have been saved a lot of pointless fights.

2) Not all of the timeline changes are justified or make sense. Some, like the Smoke/Sub-Zero change, are specifically lampshaded. But apparently Reptile was a regular participant in the first tournament instead of a special combatant. I can accept that. But why are Cyrax, Sector, and Baraka present at all?

Can you play as anyone in story mode and does the story change with character choice or are you just assigned a kombatant for a particular fight? Any choice at all?

Can you play as anyone in story mode and does the story change with character choice or are you just assigned a kombatant for a particular fight? Any choice at all?

No choice at all. The story mode is divided into chapters where you play as a particular character. Usually a good guy, except for a few instances of playing a bad guy who considers changing teams.

Guest Slinky

Yes, I'm paying attention to the plot. There's an entire mode dedicated to it.

Plot holes aren't done on purpose. That's absurd. It's just lazy writing.

Hahaha, sorry Tale, but this is hilarious :huh:

It's like someone would go to see a Uwe Boll movie expecting it to have a deep and logical story. It's MK man, the "story" has been campy at best from the start :)

There's a distinction between expecting good writing and expecting competent writing. It's not the camp I'm complaining about. The camp is fine.

The camp is the fact that ninjas are fighting Shaolin monks for the sake of something called Earthrealm. And a time traveling lightning god is trying to prevent Armageddon.

The bad is that characters are re-introduced into old scenarios with no reason for them to be there. And that I keep having to fight Baraka. WHY

Edited by Tale

Thanks for clarifying. None of the reviews really elaborated on how story mode worked. I guess it was too much to hope for to be able to play the entire story mode with any of the characters and have the cutscenes change for each one. There is still at least the ladder tournament mode where each character has their own ending.

Thanks for clarifying. None of the reviews really elaborated on how story mode worked. I guess it was too much to hope for to be able to play the entire story mode with any of the characters and have the cutscenes change for each one. There is still at least the ladder tournament mode where each character has their own ending.

Keep in mind the story mode is long. It took me maybe 5 hours to beat.

There's a distinction between expecting good writing and expecting competent writing. It's not the camp I'm complaining about. The camp is fine.

The camp is the fact that ninjas are fighting Shaolin monks for the sake of something called Earthrealm. And a time traveling lightning god is trying to prevent Armageddon.

The bad is that characters are re-introduced into old scenarios with no reason for them to be there. And that I keep having to fight Baraka. WHY

Maybe they just crossed from camp to channeling plan 9 from outer space?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I dunno, I'm vaguely interested in the MK reboot but I'm also not sure about it either. I don't mind characters being introduced into the story earlier - I'd be more bugged if characters allegiances were shifted for no reason.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man